2.1

2004 Toyota Sienna steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Sep 012011

Sienna 6-cyl

This is most likely a known problem. I have spent thousands of dollars trying to get it fixed, and it has been in the shop numerous time, including a Toyota dealership service department. Problem: Very unpredictable traction control problem which is getting worse. Whether driving down the interstate, going around a curve, or just driving on slower city roads, the traction control light and sensor will go off - frequently locking up the steering, breaking, and causing loss of control of the vehicle. This often causes the vehicle to shake violently, and it has even caused the rear of the vehicle to slide. The only way I have found to manage this is to coast until it clears out. I am fearful every time I drive it, especially on the highway. I feel it is only a matter of time before I am involved in an accident, especially if the roads happen to be wet or icy. I have seen numerous complaints on the internet, and I have filed a case with Toyota. Back on 6-26-14 when I first contacted Toyota after nothing seemed to fix the problem, I was told they had no knowledge of the problem, and there were no reported problems from dealerships. I just spoke with them again without any success or new information.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 302014

Sienna

My 2004 Sienna is experiencing the exact same issues as described in the 11/09/2011 voluntary safety recall. The belts have been squealing and the steering becomes difficult to turn at slow speeds. The recall applies to certain Sienna models but my specific VIN is not included in the recall. All new belts have been replace and the issue continues. Is it possible that this recall should be expanded to include other vins in the 2004 Sienna series? pressroom.Toyota.com/releases/Toyota+voluntary+safety+recall+Toyota+Lexus+vehicles+replace+crankshaft+pulley.htm.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Jul 122013

Sienna 6-cyl

In the early summer of 2013, I was traveling North on I-15, approx 5 minutes to St. George, Utah on a beautiful clear day when the car began to swerve and the yellow skid light came on and the emergency beeping sound alarmed and the car slows down on its own--I no longer have control over accelerating the speed of the car. It frightened and alarmed me and my passengers. Within about 5 seconds the light went off and the alarming beeping sound stopped and now I have control of the speed of the car. I have traveled that road several times since and the same incident has occurred at approx the same spot. However, in 2014, during my travels to and fro on this same highway where the speed limit is 65-75mph, the incident occurs in several other spots along I-15 North and southbound. The skid light and the alarming beeping sound even went off when coming to a stop going approx. 5mph. The indicator light and alarm sound seems to be getting more and more sensitive. The same incident has been occurring this year every day on my way home from work at the same spot on I-215. Even though the speed limit is 65mph, I have to slow down to less than 50mph in order to avoid this occurrence. This creates a very hazardous situation since I am slowing down for apparently no reason to the cars behind me who are traveling at the speed limit.

- Henderswon, NV, USA

Mar 012014

Sienna 6-cyl

Steering in my 2004 Toyota Sienna is very tight, making it difficult to turn, especially when cold. The problem appeared last spring, while it was still cold outside. Steering improved during the warm summer months. Now that the weather is cool again, the steering problem has returned, but worse. The power steering fluid was changed, without help. Different auto shops, including my Toyota dealership, have offered vastly different opinions of what is wrong. The dealership first wanted to replace a 'leaking' power steering fluid hose, despite a normal fluid level. Then the dealership claimed it's the steering intermediate joint (U joint). An experienced independent mechanic says the intermediate joint is fine, but it's the rack and pinion that needs to be replaced. Online forums have offered various advice, including the aforementioned fixes, among others, including just lubing the U joint. In other words, no one seems to be able to diagnose the problem with certainty. I've read on various forums that other Toyota Sienna owners with the same model year have had identical complaints about tight steering when cold, but Toyota considers the problem 'closed'. now I'm faced with spending over $1000 to fix a steering problem that Toyota should have addressed long ago. Even then, I can't even be confident that the problem will be fixed, given current lack of consensus among experienced mechanics. I have a young child who rides with me daily, so this steering problem needs to be fixed as soon as possible! clearly there is a manufacturer defect in the power steering for my model year. Poor steering in my 2004 Toyota Sienna is a serious safety issue. This is an accident waiting to happen. There needs to be a prompt NHTSA investigation into this issue (which has affected many Sienna owners), and a recall based on the potential for a serious accident!!

- Beverly Hills, MI, USA

Mar 072014

Sienna 6-cyl

In this initial incident, I was traveling on a curvy road at posted speed limit of 30mph. My vehicle suddenly slowed, as if I was applying the brakes, which I was not, and my steering was compromised. In addition the vsc indicator and symbol flashed on my dashed and beeped. The road was dry. This has occurred 10+ times since. I have brought it to my mechanic, without turning the engine off after the occurrence so that he could "read" the computer but there is no evidence available. We have brought it to the Toyota dealer. They "rebooted" the sensors and said it should be fine. It has continued to happen, on the freeway going uphill at 55 mph, going downhill at 60 mph and has been close to causing a rear end collision each time.

- San Rafael, CA, USA

Jun 032013

Sienna 6-cyl

Intermittent hard steering. Will be driving around even slight corner will be fine then steer hard and be fine again around same corner. Or, will steer very hard around one corner then steer ok around the next.

- Berlin, CT, USA

May 202014

Sienna 6-cyl

The steering became difficult at times. It was almost like losing your power steering from time to time. Intermediate steering shaft was replaced which corrected the problem.

- Proctor, VT, USA

Mar 012007

Sienna 6-cyl

This happened about late 2006 to early 2007. I first observed that once in a while turning the steering was stiff and the wheel will not turn back to its neutral position, and the car will over steer. It felt like there was no power steering and you could hear some squeaking noise from the steering. Since at first it happens on and off during turning, everytime I took it to the dealer, they said was nothing wrong, it was still under warranty at that time.. after driving it for a couple of months there was an increase in the incidence and the steering at turn was getting harder and there was and increase in over steer that I would have to go slower than usual to avoid other vehicles. By that time I brought it back to the dealer, and they said that was some rusting and corrosion at the steering shaft and had to be replaced and by then the warranty had expired.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

May 152014

Sienna

Steering became very jerky and tight while driving van with family. Problem got worse over the course of 2 days and I had to stop driving the vehicle because it became dangerous. Mechanic told me it was problem steering intermediate shaft.

- Camp Hill, PA, USA

May 082012

Sienna

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated while driving 45 mph the brakes started to engage. There was a beeping sound as the traction warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred approximately ten times. The dealer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that the steering angle sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Martinez, CA, USA

Jan 062014

Sienna

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the power steering assist failed without warning. The steering wheel became hard to turn. The contact also stated that both passenger side windows were inoperable. The vehicle was taken to independent mechanic, who was unable to diagnose the vehicle. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not aware of the problems. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Fort Morgan, CO, USA

Jun 022013

Sienna 6-cyl

Complete loss of power while in motion entering freeway. Previously had noticed steering difficulty at times and engine light going on, but had always stopped after a short while. After the failure it was diagnosed as failure of crank shaft pulley. We found that Toyota had done a recall for this issue, but had not included our vehicle in the recall or notified us. Toyota denied coverage of the required repair. Driver and two small children in care at time of failure, just about to enter freeway. Over $800 in repairs.

- Traverse City, MI, USA

Feb 182014

Sienna 6-cyl

Steering shaft intermediate shaft steering & suspension power steering not working all the time. Seems to get tighter and tighter from time to time. Very difficult making left or right turn...

- Wauconda, IL, USA

Dec 092009

Sienna

While driving the vehicle (2004 Toyota Sienna), in an effort to make a turn, the steering wheel would lock, and not allow you to turn either direction for multiple moments. After taking it to Toyota about 3-4 times (about Dec 2009), they finally determined that it was a system failure in a self contained unit, that would prevent you from seeing it in the form of low power steering fluid, etc. At that time, it was repaired and considered to be under warranty. In the past month or so, this being middle of Jan 2014, the steering has been having similar issues. Have taken it to the dealership multiple times, and the time prior to my drop off yesterday, they stated that it involved the "reservoir" and installed a new one. After a few days of having it, the issue happened again yesterday. I can recall that in the first repair (about 2009) and the current repair, the issue seemed more prevalent when the weather was cold and rainy. Given that I just dropped the vehicle off yesterday, this incident is still not completely resolved at this point.

- New Castle, DE, USA

Oct 282013

Sienna 6-cyl

Our 2004 Toyota Sienna began having difficulty steering while my wife was driving our kids to an event in October 2013. She stated the steering felt "lumpy" or intermittently difficult. The effect was more pronounced when the car was cold, but improved somewhat when warmed up. Now in December, the steering problem is such she will not drive the van anymore for safety reasons. The van was difficult to maneuver in traffic and posed a danger to my wife and other vehicles. I drove the van and confirmed this problem and do not want her driving the van either, as the steering was difficult for me and keeping the vehicle in the traffic lane was hard to do at times. Research on line indicates this is a known problem. Not sure what to do now except have the steering component replaced so van is drivable again.

- Joint Base Lewis Mcchord, WA, USA

Nov 302013

Sienna

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while turing the vehicle at 20 mph or when parking, the steering wheel would seize. The contact did not take the vehicle to a dealer or local mechanic. The contact did not call the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 190,000.

- Ooltewah, TN, USA

Nov 132013

Sienna

Start having problems with the car steering wheel, it is hard to move while moving and it doesn't go back to straight position by itself. Have to move the steering by force to get it to the right position. This is dangerous and can cause an accident.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Nov 012012

Sienna

Steering fluid leak on passenger side eating through rubber boot - requires replacement of rack & pinion & some kind of right & left front bars. This is an unsafe defect in this model year. Apparently, other 2004 Sienna's have had the same issue. This is a very expensive repair.

- Murrells Inlet, SC, USA

May 062013

Sienna 6-cyl

While driving there was a very loud screech from the motor, on and off, then the power steering went out, very hard to turn steering wheel, luckily I was able to force it the few miles left home. Then I noticed the A/C was not cold, this was intermittent, now, no A/C at all. Just hot air. This stalled of failed while in traffic, I could have had serious problems like getting hit because I could not turn the vehicle readily, or easily.

- Claremroe Ok, OK, USA

Apr 032013

Sienna 6-cyl

I was driving 10 mph towards the grocery store parking lot when suddenly the steering wheel will not turn. I almost hit a tree since the car went over the curb. I had to stop the engine. This happened again on my way home that night. It was very dangerous. I immediately called Toyota the following day (1-800-331-4331) and was told that there had never been no record of any complaint with a similar issue on the 2004 Siennas. But tonight, I am so surprised that there had been a lot of complaints about this.

- Rowlett, TX, USA