1.8

2005 Toyota Sienna steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Sienna:

2005 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 012016

Sienna

My steering has been getting stiff for the past few weeks. About a month I noticed that my steering was stiff and then smooth a few days later. Now it feels stiff at cold start and even after warm up from normal driving. I have new belts and no power steering fluid leak. I've read many blogs online and people claiming that the (U-joint) aka "steering knuckle" is the cause. Due to water/dirt/salt from the road - causing rust on the U-joint. Toyota manufacturer should have thought of installing a rubber boot to protect the U-joint from exposure of weather elements. If the U-joint is badly rusted, it can break off and cause an accident. This should be considered as a safety recall.

- Matawan, NJ, USA

Nov 032016

Sienna

Crankshaft pulley safety recall - 2005 Toyota Sienna -recall # 11V539000 more vehicles possibly affected than stated in recall notice. Dealer stated VIN did not fall in range of recall, although the defective crankshaft pulley part stamped with mark has been identified on my vehicle. Burning smell related to drive belt while driving and abnormal engine noise. Upon replacing new drive belt, the crankshaft pulley was inspected and shown to fail due the inadequate adhesive stated in the recall. Notified dealer, called Toyota representative and opened case#1611070038. Both dealer and Toyota refused recall since VIN was not in range. Toyota representative stated no photos or evidence were required to show the failed crankshaft pulley. Please used the details and photos attached for ODI# 10924632

- South Windsor, CT, USA

Aug 082016

Sienna

Steering has become intermittently stiff. Steering wheel doesn't self center. It's difficult to turn the wheel either way. After turning the wheel very hard, it suddenly becomes easy. This phenomenon occurs when the vehicle is stationary, and at all speeds. The problem started approximately two months ago, and has gotten progressively worse. The power steering pump is working properly, the belt is in good condition, there are no power steering fluid leaks and the power steering fluid level is correct.

- Big Lake, AK, USA

Jan 092014

Sienna

My 2005 Toyota Sienna started giving problems of rack and pinion leak for power steering around 90,000 miles. Asked the dealer if this could be covered under warranty or power train but was denied. Looking around various forums online, I came across that many of 2005 Toyota have this type of problem. I also own 2005 Toyota Camry and it also have the exact same problem at about similar mileage. Cost to repaid was mentioned as $1300. I have 2 2005 Toyota vehicles and both have exact same problem wanting me to spend $2600 total to repair the rack and pinion unit of both of my cars. I understand a lot of other 2005 Toyota owners also have similar complaints. It should be a recall or it should be enhanced warranty work and Toyota should fix this.

- Cary, NC, USA

Aug 012015

Sienna

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the traction control warning light illuminated and an audible alarm was activated before the steering suddenly jerk the vehicle to the left and right. The contact indicated that the failure had occurred on multiple occasions and would only last a few seconds. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 185,000.

- Haslet, TX, USA

May 142016

Sienna

On several occasions the vehicle stability control on my 2005 Toyota Sienna xle is activated suddenly and for no reason. It has happened changing lanes on the freeway, on off ramps, and city streets. I was never going over the speed limit, turning sharply, and the road was not wet or slippery. The activation caused my car to rapidly decelerate from 50 mph to 20 mph in a matter of seconds and caused my wife, children, and I to lurch forward. Vsc also caused my vehicle to swerve sharply to the right. I had immediately lost control! this put me and my family in mortal danger along with the occupants of vehicles around us. They were completely unprepared for my sudden and unwarranted stop! I believe Toyota has sold a vehicle that has a hardware and/or software error in it that can result in fatal injuries to the driver, passengers and occupants of surrounding vehicles. This is why I believe the national highway transportation safety administration should require Toyota to issue a safety recall that permanently eliminates this problem for Toyota owners like me. Like others I believe this situation is far more serious than your recent recall of the Toyota shift lever assembly to prevent an accidental roll away. (NHTSA campaign number: 13V429000). In our case we are driving at highway speeds when without warning the car suddenly slams on the brakes and veers to the left. I have read others complaints that are almost identicle. Please do not wait for injuries and deaths to resolve this issue!

- Clovis, CA, USA

Mar 262016

Sienna

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle shook without warning. When accelerating over 40 mph, the shaking worsened. The vehicle made a loud noise whenever turning the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 157,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 082016

Sienna

My car has the exact symptoms for a recall involving a crankshaft pulley, yet my VIN is apparently not involved with that recall. My engine model 3mz-fe is involved with the recall yet Toyota service dealerships and Toyota customer experience both say it isn't. currently my car is not safe to drive according to the service dealership and a fee of roughly $800 awaits me. I do not understand how my make, model, model year, engine model, can all be related to a certain recall, and yet be told that my car does not qualify for that recall. I've been a loyal Toyota customer for years recommending friends and family. Extremely disappointed, and most likely won't purchase another Toyota.

- Phoenixville, PA, USA

Feb 112016

Sienna

Very stiff when turning. Steering seems to lock and making a turn and returning to normal driving position is faulty, I took it to two mechanics and they both said it was the rack and pinion that had to be replaced. In looking at the database I see that this problem does exist with the Toyota Sienna. Recall should be initiated as this poses a very serious problem.

- Flat Rock, NC, USA

Feb 162016

Sienna

Extremely hard steering has been frequently a problem (accompanied by a loud squeal) during the first minute after start up, particularly in the cold. Now I have noticed a sudden steering difficulty on a turn while driving long after start up.

- Rockville Ctr, NY, USA

Dec 012015

Steering problem.

- Alameda, CA, USA

Dec 132015

Sienna

Very dangerous situation: Toyota Sienna 2005 vsc (anti skid system) kicks in unexpectedly for no reason. Numerous times I have been driving straight along dry roads only to have my ABS (antilock braking system) suddenly come on, the van slow down, with the vsc alarm going off, and the vsc light blinking. It's very scary, especially on the highway, and it becomes hard to control the van. This has happened at high (~55 mph) as well as low (~25-30mph) speeds. I drive 90% on smooth, well-paved Suburban roads, and about 10% on highways. The frequency of this defect is definitely increasing. One day it happened 4 times in one trip! all for no reason, and all under dry, normal driving conditions on smooth, Suburban roads. My van has 113K miles on the odometer. This defect creates a very dangerous situation where the vehicle slows suddenly and unexpectedly, and swerves to one side without warning. I can't understand how there hasn't been a recall yet. A quick search online shows many people have had this exact same experience.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Nov 102015

Developer testing

- Richmond, VA, USA

Oct 012015

Sienna 6-cyl

2005 Toyota Sienna. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle brakes malfunction. The consumer stated while driving down the highway at normal speed, the anti-skid activated on a dry road. The consumer stated the incident happened several more times, each time as the road curved to the right. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic. However, he was unable to find a problem, except for over-inflated tires. The consumer took the vehicle to another mechanic, but to no avail. The ABS continued to activate. After doing some research, it was determined the issue was the steering sensor. It was replaced at a cost of $ 850. As the consumer left the shop, the left rear brake was not working properly, making odd sounds.

- Bailey, CO, USA

Dec 172014

Sienna

I noticed a clunking noise when turning into a parking spot. It also felt like my van was diving into the parking spot. I took my van into Toyota for another reason and was told at the time it was leaking at the rack and needed a new drive shaft and boot to the tune of 1200 dollars. We are still debating what to do and are very disappointed in Toyota. We purchased this vehicle based on Toyota's reputation for quality but have found this vehicle particularly repair prone. We have already replaced the radiator, parking brake and had a very expensive serpentine belt replacement due to the Fusion of dissimilar metals. It seems to me that Toyota's engineers should have understood the consequences of designing a vehicle with dissimilar metals that come into direct contact. We have never owned such a repair prone vehicle.

- Endwell, NY, USA

Jun 292015

Sienna

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sienna. While driving at 25 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 139,350.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Mar 072014

Sienna 6-cyl

2005 Toyota Sienna: Power steering fails intermittently, resulting in a loss of power steering and sudden increase in steering effort, increasing the risk of a crash. Driver is at risk if sudden steering away from an event is necessary due to the effort and inconsistent nature of the steering. There are many complaints about this that can be found on various forums on the internet. It is a serious problem that should not be ignored and should be addressed before rather than after someone dies as a result of this vehicle fault.

- Lyndeborough, NH, USA

Dec 112014

Sienna

When backing out of driveway steering wheel locked (wouldn't turn); had to wait about a minute before steering wheel would turn. Took it to the dealer to fix a couple of recalls and they did an inspection at which time they told me the power steering rack & pinion was leaking and it would cost $1800 to fix. Checked online and found a lot of people are experiencing same problem.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Jan 112014

Sienna

During a routine oil change, I noticed the passenger side, power steering rack and pinion boot had a tear and was leaking. I have read that the leaky seal eats into the boot to deteriorate over time. As I searched the internet for this problem, I noticed their were several other causes of this same issue. I think this demands for a recall.

- Tracy, CA, USA

Sep 072012

Sienna 6-cyl

2005 Toyota Sienna's vehicle stability control engaged for no reason while in many different conditions (dry, wet, curve, straight, it didn't matter) making me lose control of the car. The vsc, trac off and check engine lights came on and a beeping sound engaged while the care took over not allowing driver input. I had to put it in neutral until it turned off. I have read many accounts online of other Toyota Sienna drivers experiencing the same dangerous problem. Thank goodness when it has happened, I haven't had a truck or semi next to me. This is my family car in which I need to drive my kids and other people's kids, and I cannot drive it anymore. Toyota has to fix this problem, since it is a manufacturer problem.

- Centreville, VA, USA