2006 Toyota Sienna body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Sienna:

2006 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Oct 132013

Sienna 6-cyl

The power sliding door would not close completely, leaving the operation of the vehicle on the road unsafe. Upon inspecting the door, the power cord making the door open and closed looked frayed and knotted and off its tracks. The only way to get the door to completely close was to cut the cord. The door now operates manually. They passenger side cord plastic coating looks to be cracked and could eventually could become not operable as the driver side. Contacted the Toyota of des moines, they said there is an extended warranty of the power sliding door cords and its parts for 9 years and 120,000 miles, which ever comes first. Cannot fix my Toyota Sienna under the extended warranty because it was over 120,000 miles. I bought the vehicle when it was 127,000 miles. The previous owners did not get it fixed nor Honda of ames, the dealership where I bought the vehicle. I think Toyota did not do enough to get the word out to the previous owners of the extended warranty or the dealerships. I looked on the Toyota website, entered my VIN, they was nothing about extended warranties on this vehicle. This should be a recall, due to defective parts from Toyota and the potential unsafe situation this could of caused to people, especially young children. They are the target market for Toyota Sienna minivans-families with young children. If I bought a minivan with power doors, I expect to be able to use the power sliding doors as it was intended. I am very concerned about the safety of my three children who are all under 5 years old.

- Bondurant, IA, USA

Aug 042014

Sienna

On Monday August 4th, 2014 after a funeral, I drove into the parking lot of the church where I was going to gather with my fellow friends and family that lost their family member that day.. I drove into the driveway and attempted to reverse my minivan, I had my hand on the shift change to shift my car, upon attempting to change shifts my car accelerated and I lost control of the vehicle, causing my car to go hit the side of the building of the church damaging the gas tank, and causing the gas to leak. At the time of the scene and accident my 6 year old was in his carseat behind me and was scared at what had just happened, he panicked and took off his seat belt, opened the door, and went running out of the vehicle.. at that moment trying to regroup myself to see why my car had accelerated with force forward, I parked my vehicle and went looking for help.. I cannot explain how my car gained so much force to end up over 2 feet in the air over a small wall... I did notice my car hit the gas tank and heard gas leaking and went to cry for help.. I am not aware of any recalls on my van except for the undercarriage tire, which at this time the recall is not complete because they have not finalized a schedule for me to have it checked... also I am upset that the minivan upon the impact of hitting the wall did not diploit the airbag... I googled safety recall on Toyota Sienna and came upon a recall on more than 615K Sienna models over a rollaway risk.. the years listed were 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 Toyota Sienna, and a recall affecting a possible rollaway upon shift gears.. according to the article the shift lever cold be moved out of position depressing the the brake pedal, and because of this fault, the affected Siennas could roll away without causing warning, increasing the risk for crash.. well I was in a crash.

- New Britain, CT, USA

Jan 012012

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the dashboard fractured from the steering wheel area to the passenger side air bag. The dealer stated that the failure was not covered under warranty. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

May 212013

Sienna

Attempted to open passenger side sliding door to let children out and would not open. Was told it is a problem with the door latch but would not be able to fix it because it is outside of the warranty. It is now stuck in the closed position.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Apr 282014

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 10V16000 (structure) but was advised by the dealer and manufacturer that the parts needed to complete the repair were not available. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Highland Park, IL, USA

Nov 252013

Sienna

The contact owns 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the rear hatch struts failed to sustain the hatch and caused the hatch to hit the contact's head. The contact stated that she did not suffer injuries to the head. The door hatch was not replaced. The manufacturer advised that the warranted repair was expired. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000 and the approximate current mileage was 89,000.

- La Grange Park , IL, USA

Dec 122013

Sienna

Since 2012, the front passenger's door has made a loud popping, cracking sound every time it is opened or closed. Toyota dealer informed me the door weld is cracked and the entire door must be removed for a new weld and paint job at a body shop. Dealer also showed me a Toyota warranty coverage enhancement for this problem (the "door check mounting panel, " pol07-04, issued 10/22/07), which extends up to 5 years or 100,000 miles. I never received notice of this in the mail, and it does not appear under the tsbs on the NHTSA site. My van is no longer covered at 110,000 miles. Note: I had this same problem on my driver's side door at only 32,000 miles, which was repaired under warranty. That means both my front doors have had failed welds. This clearly is a manufacturing defect which Toyota should cover, regardless of mileage.

- Palm City, FL, USA

Dec 122013

Sienna 6-cyl

Two issues: (1) since 2012, the front passenger's door has made a loud popping, cracking sound every time it is opened or closed. Toyota dealer informed me the door weld is cracked and the entire door must be removed for a new weld and paint job at a body shop. Dealer also showed me a Toyota warranty coverage enhancement for this problem (the "door check mounting panel, " pol07-04, issued 10/22/07), which extends up to 5 years or 100,000 miles. I never received notice of this in the mail, and it does not appear under the tsbs on the NHTSA site. My van is no longer covered at 110,000 miles. Note: I had this same problem on my driver's side door at only 32,000 miles, which was repaired under warranty. That means both my front doors have had failed welds. This clearly is a manufacturing defect which Toyota should cover, regardless of mileage. (2) power sliding door will not operate when interior buttons or key fob buttons are pushed. It will open manually, but it sticks and requires a hard pull. Dealer advises cabling is malfunctioning and the motor in the main control board is bad. I was told the warranty enhancement for the rear sliding door assemblies and power sliding door assemblies will cover the cables and latch, but does not cover the motor, the main control board, or the lock! this is a very costly repair. These components are defective and should be included in the warranty enhancement.

- Palm City, FL, USA

Jan 012014

Sienna 6-cyl

The door check pocket on the driver's side door began making a popping sound. Upon further inspection, it was evident that the spot welds on the pocket came undone. Looking into the matter, it became apparent that this is a known issue for Toyota. They offered a warranty enhancement of 5 years or 100,000 miles for the issue. Upon contacting the company and discussing the issue, I was promptly told that my vehicle does not qualify and that there is nothing Toyota is willing to do for me. I have been told by multiple people at the national headquarters that the decision has been made and they will not compensate me for this failure which is due to their faulty manufacturing.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 012014

Sienna 6-cyl

NHTSA action number : EA06020 the replacement strut for the rear lift gate under the recall NHTSA action number : EA06020 are failing again. They were already replace once under the recall. If it's a normal wear item then should be listed under maintenance.

- Wallingford, CT, USA

Sep 132013

Sienna 6-cyl

The rear door hatch struts failed on my 2006 Sienna le, it came crashing on me, fortunately I caught it midway and I wasn't injured because of that. If not for that, I could have been seriously hurt. Now the rear door/trunk hatch does not stay open, and if I let go of it, it comes crashing down really fast. I am worried that this will hurt somebody, particularly my children. There is a similar recall for the same struts used for power rear door hatch. However, when I contacted Toyota they mentioned that recall doesn't apply to my vehicle just because my rear door hatch isn't powered, and I would have to pay out of my pocket to fix it. In my opinion the recall should be on the struts itself regardless of whether the door is powered or not as the struts are the ones that fail and not the powered function of the door. Please investigate this as numerous other people have reported the same issue.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 272013

Sienna 6-cyl

Toyota Sienna le 2006. Sliding door can not be completely closed. This is a manual sliding door. The driver side sliding door can not be completely closed. This problem happened several times in the past year or so. Previously it would close after several tries. But this time it would not work no matter what you try. It seems that one of the door locking parts does not operate properly. This is a serious safety problem because I have to drive the car with the door "half-open".

- Chantilly, VA, USA

Nov 012012

Sienna 6-cyl

My sliding rear doors are sticking or not closing/opening at all. The rear right sliding door when opened with the door handle needs to be tugged in order to open.

- Port Matilda, PA, USA

Feb 252012

Sienna 6-cyl

On February 25, 2012, the passenger side power sliding door on my 2006 Toyota Sienna would not close unless I applied force. For months this issue did not resolve and became worse to the point where we could no longer use the door. This became a safety issue as my three young children could only exit through the driver side door into the street side. This put my children and me in danger of being hit by passing motorists. Furthermore, in the event of an emergency, this exit point would not be available to us. After receiving the warranty enhancement notice we took the vehicle in for repair in July 2012, but were informed the part needing replacement, identified as "R/sliding door rear support latch and cable assy" was not covered even though the warranty enhancement notice clearly stated "rear sliding door latch assemblies" and "power sliding door cable assembly" were covered. I was told the part numbers did not match. In July 2013, I opened a case with Toyota customer service. They again informed me the parts would not be covered under the enhancement warranty. I expressed my complete disappointment for the lack of regard for my family's safety. Shortly after, I received a surprising call from the dealership explaining that the part in question was actually covered. Their error was upsetting. I had to take my vehicle in twice to finally have the door repaired and had to pay for an additional part, a hinge that caused the door to sag and drag against the body of the vehicle which contributed to the safety issue and also caused visible damage to the exterior. I'm thankful the door is finally repaired, but worry that this issue has great potential for recurrence. I hope the NHTSA investigates the doors as I see many others have voiced similar complaints. Although the warranty enhancement has been Toyota's solution, it does not seem to be fixing the problem.

- Cypress, CA, USA

Jul 172012

Sienna

The third row power seats are defective. They will not lock into place and are unusable.

- Sussex, WI, USA

Jun 222013

Sienna

Power rear liftgate struts have failed. They were originally replaced under the 2008 recall (they weren't defective at the time); however they have now failed. The door closes hard on you if you are not ready for it and it's not easy to prop it open or keep it open without potentially injuring yourself. There is no way to disengage or otherwise prop open the door manually.

- Sussex, WI, USA

Jun 072013

Sienna 6-cyl

Both sliding doors will not open from the inside, the child safety lock is off and still they will not open.

- Freehold , NJ, USA

Feb 012013

Sienna 6-cyl

Passenger side sliding door failed to lock. The "door open" light on the dashboard remained lit. This is a potential safety issue since the door could open while driving. I took it to Toyota dealership service department which identified faulty rear latch and gave me an estimate of repair cost of $526. This is an expensive repair cost which the consumer should not have to pay since the faulty latch mechanism is not a result of usage of the vehicle, rather it is probably due to a faulty design. Toyota should have issued a recall of this faulty latch mechanism.

- Carmel, IN, USA

May 132009

Sienna 6-cyl

The dash start cracking up for no apparent reason and the car is mostly park inside a garage day and night. I have called dealers and nothing has been done so far and I have been told that's a manufacturer defect and it should be corrected by dealer. The transmission some times does not change the gears and others stop to work and I could cause a rear end collision.

- Aguadilla, PR, USA

Jan 012012

Sienna

Bumped my head severely because recalled and replaced rear-hatch struts failed for a second time and wouldn't open the hatch completely. Toyota won't cover it again. Repair is excessively expensive.

- North Bergen, NJ, USA