2006 Toyota Sienna body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Sienna:

2006 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Sep 302016

The cable on the driver side of our van has jammed. This problem caused my wife to have to drive home with the door open in order for me to force it shut. I was able to muscle it closed, but it is inoperable in its current condition. She was parked in parking lot when it broke.

- Lake City, MI, USA

Sep 092013

Rear left passenger sliding door will not open. The cables have snapped and it won't work manually. Passenger can become trapped in this seat. The right hand door is working, but if these cables snap, there will be no way to enter or exit the rear seat. Toyota is aware and has a "courtesy" recall, but my vehicle is "too old".

- Preston, MD, USA

Aug 182016

The passenger side power auto sliding door suddenly can't close ( closed in half way then stuck ), we must use wire tied with the B bar to secure the door. It's very shock why this door is malfunction without notice, made the passengers in dangerous situation while driving on a city street. With a warning light flash and driving slowly to back home, then have Toyota dealer check the problems. Toyota said the cable and motor jam together and just pass extend warranty ( 9 years or 120000 mile when which coming first ) I have pay for expensive repair ($1800). I would say the auto sliding door must have some method to make it close by manual to ensure customer safety.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

May 172016

I have a 2006 Toyota Sienna xle. There is a recall ssc-C80. The recall service was performed by a dealership on 01/09/2009. Everything had been fine since then. On 05/17/2016 I went to fremont Toyota for another service. They checked my van and perform the same recall service (ssc-C80) without notifying me. Now the back hatch won't close automatically (via button). It must be closed manually. I went to fremont Toyota and was told that I have to replace the motor for $$$$. I notice that there is another (same) complaint (10355452) that the new struts (68905-AE015) are too strong for existing hatchback motor. I think that the old struts were perfect (was put on in 2009) to match with the existing motor. I even asked the dealer to reverse the work to put the old struts back as I never had a problem since 2009 and I never asked the dealer to perform the service. They refused. Now I end up with a malfunction back hatch, which has to be closed manually. I want to either get the old struts back, or they should solve the problem free of charge.

- Redwood City, CA, USA

Apr 012016

Neither sliding door opens. Doors remain in closed and locked position. Cable on power door snapped during operation (opening). Manual door refuses to open and remains closed at all times. Both doors functioned properly up until a month ago. Both doors malfunctioned within a month of one another. No accident occurred during this time. The car has not sustained any body damage during our seven years of ownership.

- Amherst, MA, USA

Mar 142016

Release lever mechanism to open the hood is not functioning. There is no tension or release. The hood of the 2006 Toyota mini-van ce can't be opened. Vehicle is subject to Wisconsin winter weather conditions. Corrosion, salt might be a factor. Unable to check the inside of the engine or change the oil, belt, etc. Hood is in permanently locked, in a closed position.

- Verona, WI, USA

Dec 062015

Noticed for several months a binding in closing electric side doors. A few weeks ago, I could not close the sliding door. Noticed a broken cable. The cable was frayed. It is also frayed on the other side of the car. I went to the Toyota dealer to get it repaired free. My odometer had 124,000 miles. The Toyota extended technical warranty ended at 120,000. This is a major safety issue. The other night I drove home in 28 degree weather with the sliding door open, because it would not close. We had to break the cable to get the door closed when we finallt got home. Children can fall out of open side doors on Toyota vans!! this is a serious manufacturing problem, and Toyota should have to replace the cables at any date that they break so children can get in or out of the car safely, and owners do not have to drive around with their doors open. It also runs down the battery!! a major safety issue. My grandchildren can fall out of my car!!!! please make them repair my our vans for free. $1200-1600 fix per door, otherwise. Safety issue!!!!!!!!!! ridiculous I have to even ask for your help. Toyota needs to cover their cars.

- Bartlesville, OK, USA

Dec 302015

Sienna 6-cyl

The passenger sliding door opens only 30-40% and then gets stuck. This is due to what appears to be a door cable fault (motor still works). A big effort from an adult can open and close, but not possible from any of our six children riding in the back. The driver sliding door is blocked by a rear facing baby seat, so there is a serious safety concern. This issue started at the beginning of the day. There were no issues prior to this.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Apr 202010

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 10V160000 (structure). The part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Greenbay, WI, USA

Nov 122015

My power door stop working on the driver back side. I had to force its close. And now I can't get it to open back up. The back row belt won't pull down. So its can't be used now. And the fuel miles on this van is very poor at 11. Toyota is very high price when its come to little problems.

- Macon, GA, USA

Oct 232015

Passenger front door makes loud popping/cracking noises whenever opened or closed. It sounds like the door will fall off. I filed a NHTSA complaint about this same problem in 2014. In 2012-2013 the door had the same problem, and it was repaired by a body shop. They re-welded it. The shop re-welded this - again. Now the door has been repaired twice. My driver's side door weld was fixed under warranty at 32,00 miles. Toyota issued a warranty coverage enhancement for this (the "door check mounting panel, " pol07-04, issued 10/22/07), which extends up to 5 years or 100,000 miles. My vehicle was not covered for the passenger side welds because it was past 100,00 miles.

- Palm City, FL, USA

Sep 022015

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. While driving at an unknown speed, a loud abnormal rattling noise emitted from the rear of the vehicle. The contact mentioned that a notification was received for NHTSA campaign number: 14V273000 (tires) however, the parts needed were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time to provide the recall repairs. The dealer was unable to provide a time frame for when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was not made aware of the delay. The failure mileage was 165,367.

- Mebaine, NC, USA

Jun 112015

Sliding door on the passenger side stop operating suddenly as I was ready to slowly throttle. The power sliding door won't operate and the door won't lock with my kids in it. I stopped the vehicle and investigated the door and found the power sliding is not closing on pressing the power switch. Power sliding doors should be defect free for lifetime warranty and could risk kids, adults sitting in the back

- Winfield, IL, USA

Jul 012014

VIN: 5tdza23C66S558835 year: 2006 make: Toyota model: Sienna number of open recalls: 1+ recall for instrument panel NHTSA recall number: Opens new window takes away from VIN lookup section> 14V273 recall date: May 22, 2014 manufacturer recall number: E1S the dealer (kings Toyota, kings mall) and manufacturer are not repairing the vehicle after several requests and after sending recall notices. As a result I still have same defective spare tire carrier and instrument panel (crack appeared already). They keep saying that they will revert with no response there after.

- Mason, OH, USA

Jun 022015

My 2006 Toyota Sienna, driver side front door started giving me popping sound on June 2nd 2015. Initially it was very minor, in couple of days it increased a lot. I recall receiving "warranty extension" letter in the past regarding same from Toyota motor corporation. Some time in year 2013. However I was not experiencing issue. So, I just filed letter along with me other warranty documents in vehicle glow box. I took vehicle to dealer along with "warranty extension" letter. Dealer refused to repair, as Toyota would not cover, as warranty extension is expired. As per Toyota and dealer, by the time I received letter, extension was already expired.(2006 year model vehicle, expiration is around 2011) informed Toyota motor corporation usa. Opened cased with them, however they would not cover repair. I am left with no option but to absorb the cost or live the noise. I think Toyota should cover the expense, as its known for failing body parts/ workmenship. Welding meant for life time. This is not mechanical, which wear out due to year of service/mileage. I am still not getting clear explanation from Toyota /dealer for linking with years/mileage for such repairs/faulty body parts. Toyota seems to hide behind process by offering warranty extension and linking with 5 year/ 100000 miles from first date in service.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 222015

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. While driving 30 mph, the spare tire detached from the vehicle due to a rusted cable. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the tire was taken from its original position and placed in the trunk of the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 113,000. Updated 7/16/15

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Sep 012014

My 2006 Toyota Sienna has a door weld failure where the door check mount connects to the drive door.

- Belmont, CA, USA

Feb 092015

After hearing a clicking sound when I opened my front driver side door, I took my vehicle in for an inspection. It was found that the door check mounting panel had come off the door. There have been no accidents on this vehicle. It seems that a bad design or poor welding job may have been the problem. I will have to pay out of pocket to fix this problem, either by having the checker plate replaced/rewelded or by replacing the entire door.

- Paso Robles, CA, USA

Sep 282014

Sienna 6-cyl

There is a structural problem with 2006 Toyota Sienna minivan. The rear liftgate strut stopped working. The trunk door is just heavy dead weight. One adult must lift and hold the trunk door (which is quite heavy) so that the other adult can access the trunk -- or at least accessing the trunk without smashing their skull and/or arms/hands/back. Toyota said that they had an extended warranty that covered this part that expired in 2012. It looks like there was a recall of this part for 2006 Toyota. However, Toyota is telling me that mine was not covered by the 2006 recall because mine was produced later in 2006. So, apparently, Toyota is in the business of building vehicles that allow you to access your trunk for only 6 years -- after that, it is a two person job to get in and out of the trunk. That tells me that in September 2006, I bought my last Toyota.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Oct 132013

Sienna 6-cyl

The power sliding door would not close completely, leaving the operation of the vehicle on the road unsafe. Upon inspecting the door, the power cord making the door open and closed looked frayed and knotted and off its tracks. The only way to get the door to completely close was to cut the cord. The door now operates manually. They passenger side cord plastic coating looks to be cracked and could eventually could become not operable as the driver side. Contacted the Toyota of des moines, they said there is an extended warranty of the power sliding door cords and its parts for 9 years and 120,000 miles, which ever comes first. Cannot fix my Toyota Sienna under the extended warranty because it was over 120,000 miles. I bought the vehicle when it was 127,000 miles. The previous owners did not get it fixed nor Honda of ames, the dealership where I bought the vehicle. I think Toyota did not do enough to get the word out to the previous owners of the extended warranty or the dealerships. I looked on the Toyota website, entered my VIN, they was nothing about extended warranties on this vehicle. This should be a recall, due to defective parts from Toyota and the potential unsafe situation this could of caused to people, especially young children. They are the target market for Toyota Sienna minivans-families with young children. If I bought a minivan with power doors, I expect to be able to use the power sliding doors as it was intended. I am very concerned about the safety of my three children who are all under 5 years old.

- Bondurant, IA, USA