2006 Toyota Sienna engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Sienna:

2006 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 012009

Sienna

1. cruise control device on my 1996 Toyota Sienna has been behaving erratically since about 2 months. It has over 45000 miles on the odometer and is thus out of warranty. 2. mechanically there does not appear to be any defect. However the following anomalies are being observed during the past 2 months. A: 90% of the time in speeds in excess of 50 mph, when I try to set the cruising speed by pressing the ccl (cruise control lever) downwards, nothing happens. In more than 50% of these times, if I lift the ccl upwards (normally the method to re-set cruising speed after braking/slowing down) the cruising speed gets set. B. under conditions as in 'a' above many of the operations of the ccl appears to happen in an inverted manner, like setting instead of re-setting, re-setting instead of setting, etc. 3. it appears there is something definitely wrong with the electronics of the cruise control system, and while this has not happened so far, may in fact, cause unwarranted de-celeration/acceleration, and could cause accidents. 4. it is emphasized that these anomalies have *** not *** caused any accident yet. This vehicle is *** not *** included in any unexpected acceleration-related recalls. But this behavior of the cruise control may have something to do with unusual accelerations.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

May 072009

Sienna

When using cruise control our Toyota Sienna 2006 van will increase in speed without any changes. We have stop using cruise control to prevent any increase in speed.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Jan 072010

Sienna

I have a 2006 Sienna and have a few complaints. As I have learned from reading some other complaints I know I am not the only one who has experienced a hesitation upon acceleration with the car from day 1 (January 2006 when the car was purchased). I have been told by the Toyota dealer nothing is wrong. Recently, on a very cold day I noticed the steering wheel was extremely stiff and hard to move- almost like not having powering steering. The most important reason why I am filing this is because I too have started to have a problem with the right side passenger sliding door. It started to malfunction in January of this year (2010)- one month ago. First the door wouldn't open. It would pop to release but not really open. You could not move the door to fully open it or then close it. After a while you could then manually open the door. This happened several times but would sporadically work. Toyota replaced the motor- we have platinum warranty. Then a few weeks later it started to malfunction again. I took it back and they adjusted the door. Almost immediately started to malfunction again and is worse than before-inoperable most of the time. I've been told that the whole door is out of alignment and the body shop has to adjust the door I don't know how this could happen and Toyota doesn't seem to have an answer. Door is still not fixed- I have to bring it back, but another person I think is on the right track with the hinge failing and that is probably why the door is not aligned. Aside from the inconvenience a door failure is a serious safety issue that needs to be addressed asap!

- Port Washington, NY, USA

Feb 082010

Sienna

My 2006 Toyota Sienna is making this unintended acceleration even after I make a complete turn, or driving in a school zone. This is starting to get me worried since I am using this to Transport my 5-year old daughter.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 172009

Sienna

Couple things happened- right after we both Sienna, about 1 month later the brake light went on. It was late Sunday night, so the dealership was closed. We went there the following week. They couldn't find a problem, cause the light went off. When I left the dealer, the light went back on so I left my car thereand told them I'm not going to drive until they find a problem. I have 2 small kids and their safety is first. They fix it and said that some sensor unfortunately was damaged during the delivery and they replace it. Then I got problem with my power side door- will still be closing even if you try to stop it. Solution from the dealer- lubricate and that's it- it still happen from time to time. Next- front passenger and second row seat belts- lock during the trip. Dealer solution- they don't see the problem. Now about 2 months ago my accelerator got suck while driving for about 15 seconds. I did not made a big deal out of it, because I was sure it suppose to happen, but nw after hearing what going on with other Toyota models, I'm just not sure. The gas pedal did not got stuck to the carpet for sure- I would see it, it was like it got stuck at 70mph... I love my Sienna and husband drives corolla too and we both love Toyota. I just think now it's not about love for the engine, it's about safety of our children. If necessary I have documents regarding the brake sensor replacement, seat belts complains, etc. I spoke with the dealer about the gas pedal and said to me that my model its not in the recall and it could be something else, but did not offer to check what could it be...

- Bidgeport, CT, USA

Mar 102006

Sienna

I am assuming you have seen the article about steve wozniak complaining about his cruise control on his Toyota prius. It is an issue of using cruise control with the sonar activated to slow the car down to maintain a safe distance between the car in front of you. When the car in front moved out of your lane, your car takes off like a rocket to regain the programmed speed. I have a Toyota Sienna mini van that does the same thing he described. When I complain to the dealer they tell me it works as designed. I ask them if they want to drive their kids around on the interstates using the cruise control with the sonar activated or pay my speeding ticket when I get pulled over when it does this. After accelerating at such a high speed the braking mechanism kicks in to slow the car down. So you know you have gone above the speed you set the cruise control. A car shouldn't take off like a rocket and cause you to speed when the car in front of you moves out of your lane. It also does this with the sonar off and hitting the "resume speed" switch on the cruise. I have not had an accident with this issue, but it sure is scary when it does this. As a result, I don't use my cruise control very often and if I do, usually kick it off by tapping the brake when the sonar slows the car down so it doesn't take off like a rocket. I am sure it is a programming issue but it sure isn't safe or comforting the way it currently works.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 012009

Sienna

Two episodes of sudden unexplainable acceleration. 2006 Toyota Sienna mini-van. First incident: Driving at about 25 or 30 mph. Car suddenly sped up. Using brake stopped the car. Second incident occurred when I put car in reverse to back into my driveway; sudden speed increase in reverse. Brake worked to stop.

- Champaign, IL, USA

Feb 072010

Sienna

I was traveling alone on errands and had stopped at a T-intersection, positioned at the top of the "T" and preparing to turn right. I'd let afew cars go past, traveling on the main street with traffic closest to me going from left to right. When those cars had passed and it was safe to turn right onto the main street, I started to slowly depress the gas pedal to accelerate. Suddenly the car bolted forward and out of control, accelerating directly across the street and into the path of oncoming traffic traveling right to left. A car going about 40 mph slammed into the right front passenger side of my car. The airbags deployed and both our cars came to a complete stop. I was dazed from the collision and exited my car from the driver's side as soon as possible. I could see that the whole front of my car, including the engine was completely demolished. I was in shock and a lady from a nearby house who had heard the crash came out with a chair for me to sit me down on while the police and paramedics were on the way. I never went to the passenger side of the car and don't know the condition of the other driver or their car. I was taken to the emergency room and suffered chest, neck and back pain. I am quite sure it was the gas pedal sticking that caused the car to accelerate so unexpectedly and quickly, propelling me through the cross-traffic and onto the other side of the street. It was an absolutely horrible accident and I am still in shock over it, not to mention not knowing the condition, extent of injuries or even the identity of the other driver as yet.

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA

Aug 172009

Sienna

My wife was driving on a single lane Suburban road going approximately 45 mph. She tried to slow down using the brakes, but the car wouldn't slow down. She tried the brake a second time, but the car didn't slow down. Since there were vehicles in front of her, she went off the road (fortunately by an open field) and side swiped a pole and went down into a small ravine. The entire drivers side of the car was damaged...over $12,000. The local Toyota dealer assured us that the brakes were fine. Toyota (parent company) was not much help. With all the recent media attention with the stuck accelerators, I asked the dealer to check for that as well....they said the car is fine.

- Chalfont, PA, USA

Feb 012010

Sienna

We bought a 2006 Toyota Sienna van brand new from a local dealer. Almost from the beginning the rpms would increase without provocation. I initially thought it was a problem with the transmission and had it checked but it turned out okay. I then thought it was maybe a problem with the fuel line so I had it flushed but the problem persists. It happens off and on and usually when I am driving along. Because I have owned Toyota's before and never had a problem and the dealer and the local shop said everything was okay I wasn't worried until the recall which describes exactly the problem I have been experiencing. The problem is recurrent - please advise.

- Hendersonville, NC, USA

Jun 162007

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. Whenever the contact drives the vehicle at any speed she noticed that the accelerator pedal is depressing on its own causing the vehicle to slightly jerk forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealership where the contact was informed that there was a calibration issue. There were no prior warnings and the current and failure mileages were 30000.

- New York, NY, USA

Jun 092009

Sienna

I was driving my 2006 Toyota Sienna le through a parking garage. As I was making a sharp right-hand turn into my parking spot, the vehicle accelerated at full-throttle and smashed into a concrete wall. The front bumper was heavily damaged and I had some symptoms of whiplash for a few days. It hasn't happened since then, thankfully. I mentioned the incident to the Toyota service rep at my next scheduled maintenance, but there was no inspection made.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA

Jan 122006

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. While driving 40 mph and removing her foot off of the accelerator pedal it became stuck as it was released. She had to pump the brakes so that the vehicle could slow down. The dealer was contacted and stated that they were unaware of any related failures. There were no repairs made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 12 and the current mileage was 42,484. Updated 03/10/10. Updated 06/04/10

- Methuen, MA, USA

Dec 102006

Sienna

My 2006 Toyota Sienna's accelerator gets stuck in the acceleration position. I was entering the highway so I was quickly accelerating to merge with traffic and once I merged with traffic I released the accelerator pedal to adjust my speed and the pedal remained in acceleration mode and I was unable to stop it. I tried pressing the brake pedal to stop or decrease the acceleration and that didn't work. I tried depressing the accelerator pedal again to see if it was stuck and that didn't work. Eventually the acceleration stopped on its own. This has happened to me twice and my husband once. So far this has occurred three times since we've had the vehicle. I took it into a Toyota dealer where they recorded my issue on the service invoice on 2/17/07 and were unable to duplicate the issue and remarked that my floor mats were upside down and that I should install them properly.

- Thornton, CO, USA

May 302009

Sienna

Failure of the adaptive cruise control module on a 2006 Toyota Sienna xle limited. The adaptive cruise control module, located under the front bumper on the passenger side, fails completely and continuously resulting in complete failure of the cruise control system. The module is not sealed properly thereby allowing moisture inside resulting in corrosion and failure of the part. When actuated, the part is designed to automatically slow the vehicle while approaching slower traffic from behind. Failure of this part while driving could result in an accident if the module does not automatically slow the vehicle properly. The vehicle in question has only 21,000 miles on it. The failure occurred at approximately 15,000 miles. Toyota of Colorado springs replaced the part at cost to the owner of the vehicle.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

May 212008

Sienna

We have a Toyota 2006 that will increase surges in engine speed when stooped which has all most caused three accidents one going into a building, also the vehicle hesitates when the accelerator is pressed on start. When sitting in traffic you have to hold your foot on the brake because you will get an engine surge which runs the RPM's up to 5,000 then it drops off. It is very dangerously because you don't know when it will happen and controlling the van is very unpredictable.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Apr 262008

Sienna

I own a Toyota Sienna 2006 model. When in traffic the car sometimes hesitates when the accelator is pressed and at other times it surges forward dangerously. Therefore controlling the car is unpredictible. The exact response is also noticable at a traffice light or a stop sign. The failure happens often.

- Hudson, FL, USA

Feb 212007

Sienna 6-cyl

Sienna uncontrolled acceleration!! it happened to our 2006 Sienna yesterday 2/21/2007 - -my wife was about to stop the car while parking it at a parking space, suddenly it accelerated (very fast!) and knocked down a tree and scratched a couple of parked cars. It took a tree, some bushes and a double raised curbs to stop the van. The bumper was damaged (by the tree) and the right side of van dented. My wife is a careful driver (and with our two toddlers inside!) and she is very sure she did nothing wrong. We are very concerned to drive it again if the repair shop cannot find defect with the van. I have a similar accident report here: townhall-talk.edmunds.com/webx?14@@.F105086/0

- Mountain View, CA, USA