2006 Toyota Sienna miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Sienna:

2006 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 102014

The dashboard has melted and cracked leaving exposed styrofoam and stickiness. I had to buy a dashboard carpet protector to keep it from deteriorating further. Toyota sent me a notification of an extended warranty to replace the defective dashboard, after I qualified for a dashboard via my local Toyota dealer I was informed that the dashboards were on back order and that they have been waiting on these for over a year. I can not sell or trade this vehicle in its current condition.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Sep 062016

While I was parking my Toyota Sienna the engine revved and the van took off like a rocket! my foot was on the brake and only the brake the entire time. I finally stopped after running uncontrollably into a building!

- Circle Pines, MN, USA

Aug 132015

My dashboard has melted. It has left exposed styrofoam on the dash. I had to buy a vinyl sealer to keep the styrofoam from spreading all over the interior of the car. Toyota recently sent me a notification of an extended warranty to replace the defective dashboard, after I qualified for a dashboard via my local Toyota dealer I was informed that the dashboards were on back order and that they have been waiting on these for over a year. In the mean time, I can not sell or trade this vehicle in its current condition and I don't know if exposure to defective dashboard is affecting my health or not.. Toyota do what you say you will do and replace my defective dashboard

- West Memphis, AR, USA

Feb 022016

Crack or sticky dash due to stick dash sun reflect to your eye which blind you while driving that is dangerous for an accident

- Bedford, TX, USA

Mar 122016

The right side sliding door will not open automatically also will not shut when automatic button is pushed. I am very concerned this door may not open if needed or shut if needed.

- Timmonsville, SC, USA

Feb 222016

The drivers side passenger door does not stay closed. I have had it fixed once last year and now it flies open again even when your driving. It will not stay closed even if you turn off the power door.

- De Pere, WI, USA

Jan 092016

Back hatch does not stay up. Falls down on head, neck, back of person getting out items. Vehicle stationary. There was a nonmandatory recall of this in Sienna's with power hatches in 2008.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Feb 132016

Driver's side power sliding door won't close. It tries to close when you press any of the buttons or handle but it gets stuck and remains open.

- Covington, WA, USA

Dec 062015

Noticed for several months a binding in closing electric side doors. A few weeks ago, I could not close the sliding door. Noticed a broken cable. The cable was frayed. It is also frayed on the other side of the car. I went to the Toyota dealer to get it repaired free. My odometer had 124,000 miles. The Toyota extended technical warranty ended at 120,000. This is a major safety issue. The other night I drove home in 28 degree weather with the sliding door open, because it would not close. We had to break the cable to get the door closed when we finallt got home. Children can fall out of open side doors on Toyota vans!! this is a serious manufacturing problem, and Toyota should have to replace the cables at any date that they break so children can get in or out of the car safely, and owners do not have to drive around with their doors open. It also runs down the battery!! a major safety issue. My grandchildren can fall out of my car!!!! please make them repair my our vans for free. $1200-1600 fix per door, otherwise. Safety issue!!!!!!!!!! ridiculous I have to even ask for your help. Toyota needs to cover their cars.

- Bartlesville, OK, USA

Nov 222013

I don't have record of the exact date. I took my Toyota 2006 Sienna for a regular service at sauve's auto repair and service in two rivers, wi. I was advised that my spare tire carrier was rusted so bad that the had to remove my spare tire and keep it in the trunk or they would not allow me to drive my vehicle, because it was not safe! they were amazed that it had not fallen off yet it was so bad. It could have been a hazard if it had fallen off while I was driving because it could have done harm to another vehicle or person. They repaired it. I was not aware of the recall until after I had it fixed. I notified Toyota about the incident and asked for a refund on the services. They would not give me my refund because I did not have the original receipt and invoice. As far as I am aware they still do not have an authorized part to replace it yet! Toyota case # 1507170610.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 272015

I took my 2006 Sienna in for it's regular maintenance. He told me that the power steering rack is deteriorated to the point of needing a new one soon or I could be in a car accident from loss of power steering. Unfortunately we do not have the money to replace it right now, so we are left short a car. If this has been a problem for Toyota Siennas, I'm not sure why it hasn't been taken care of.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Jul 012013

Cracked/melting dashboards. Received letter from Toyota for free repair few months ago, but still waiting for another letter and do not receive any update from manufacturer yet.

- Weston, FL, USA

Jun 112015

Sliding door on the passenger side stop operating suddenly as I was ready to slowly throttle. The power sliding door won't operate and the door won't lock with my kids in it. I stopped the vehicle and investigated the door and found the power sliding is not closing on pressing the power switch. Power sliding doors should be defect free for lifetime warranty and could risk kids, adults sitting in the back

- Winfield, IL, USA

May 222014

Just voicing my complaint about how much time it is taking Toyota to correct their spare tire assembly recall: Report receipt date: May 22, 2014 NHTSA campaign number: 14V273000 component(s): Tires I find it hard to believe that it would take more than a year to find a solution. Additionally, the temporary solution, relocating the spare to the passenger compartment, significantly lessens the minivan's functionality.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

May 102015

Upon trying to open the passenger side rear automatic sliding door - plastic pieces shot out at people standing nearby hitting them in the face and upper body, and the end of a wire/cable flung out nearly hitting someone in the eye. The door continued to make loud clicking and crunching noises and would not open more that an inch or so. It had to be forcefully shut in order to drive the vehicle. Similar things happened again when it was brought to the dealer to determine what the problem was. The dealer said the cause was the automatic door mechanisms. The velocity at which the plastic pieces and cable flung out could seriously injure someone. This issue should be required to be recalled and repaired free of charge since it could cause serious eye injury from defective parts.

- Danvers, MA, USA

Apr 182015

Sienna 6-cyl

I was driving my Toyota Sienna 2006 today morning and the driver in front of me abruptly stopped. I was maintaining a safe distance and immediately hit my brakes. Although the brakes seemed to engage, the car accelerated and very badly rear-ended the car in front me. Has this happened to anyone before with the car auto-accelerating on it's own?

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 232013

The tailgate struts are worn down very easily by the design of the tailgate, with the result that the door slams shut on its own - and it is very heavy. Toyota extended the warranty on the struts to 6 years, but the struts still wear out after a short time because of the tailgate design. Toyota appears to be aware of this because of the warranty extension, but refuses to address the design problem. It is a serious flaw as the heavy tailgate can slam down on the necks and heads of both adults and children loading the trunk. A review of Toyota and car forum boards illustrate how widespread and dangerous the problem can be.

- Massapequa, NY, USA

Feb 262012

Sienna 6-cyl

The power sliding door on the driver's side would not close; its cables held the door in the open position. I was unable to make the door operate manually with the frayed and jammed cables. The car could not be operated safely without the door properly closed.

- Orange Park, FL, USA

Dec 092011

Sienna 6-cyl

Air bag light on instrument panel flashes on and off; took it to the dealer, which determined was a defective air bag sensor, which needs to be replaced along with the air bag and airbag harness under the driver's seat. Total estimate for the pair including labor: $3000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 312011

Sienna 6-cyl

The motor on the sliding power door failed. I called Toyota and was told I would have to pay to repair it. I have an extended warranty on my car but it is not a covered component.

- Hanson, MA, USA