2006 Toyota Sienna seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Sienna:

2006 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 7 of 13)

Sep 072012

Sienna 6-cyl

After leaving a balise Toyota dealership to get 2 new tires, I was driving home and the SRS indicator light started blinking. Brought it back to be told it was defective and would cost about $1000 to fix.

- Feeding Hills, MA, USA

Sep 012010

Sienna 6-cyl

The SRS light began to blink. I took the van to the dealership to diagnose the problem. They said it was due to an open air bag in the front passenger seat which would cost $2000 to repair. I have since searched the internet to find several other complaints about the same problem. The yellow harness under the seat could possibly be the problem. If this wire is wiggled, the light goes off for a period of time. However, it returns later. I feel like SRS safety should be covered for the lifetime of the vehicle unless the vehicle has been in an accident and they deploy (as they should unless there is a faulty mechanism such as mine has). Toyota should do their part to keep customers safe, especially after we have spent thousands on a vehicle in hopes of having a safe vehicle to drive.

- Mount Juliet, TN, USA

Aug 012012

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact stated that she took the vehicle to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the air bag assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified and they stated that the vehicle was out warranty. The failure mileage was 39,000.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Oct 152011

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated at engine start up. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who confirmed that the air bag sensor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 130,000 and the current mileage was 159,600.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 192012

Sienna 6-cyl

The SRS light started blinking "on" when driving approximately 65 mph. The light remained blinking for a few days then the blinking stopped. The blinking began again after a week. I took the vehicle in to a Toyota dealer who diagnosed the problem. They said that Toyota has a bulletin out on it: Tsb-0162-10 "SRS light "on" - B0111/B0116 - open side squib circuit the repair at the dealer was quoted at $3682.22. I felt this was unreasonable that Toyota knew about this safety issue and others have had the same problem but it was not deemed a "recall". I contacted Toyota customer service at 1-800-331-4331 and spoke with a representative. I voiced my concern and they made a case number: 1203051801. They admitted that there was a bulletin out on the issue but that it was not a recall. I was very upset because we did not cause this defect and it puts our family of 5 at great risk! we cannot afford to have this defect fixed at this time and feel that Toyota should own up to this problem that is affecting many and putting family's at great risk! we purchased the van new with working air bags - they have never be deployed, and we have never done anything to access or modify their workability so this should not be our problem. Highway safety requires air bags in all vehicles and should hold Toyota accountable for this defect.

- West Bend, WI, USA

Jun 022012

Sienna 6-cyl

The front driver airbag light showed up on the dashboard and began to blink about 2 weeks ago. Took the van into a Toyota dealer to have it checked out. Sensors need to be replaced for $700! after researching on the internet, it appears that the 2006 Toyota Sienna's has had numerous complaints for the airbag defects. I'm thinking Toyota needs to be responsible for this safety defect and issue a recall for the airbags to be repaired/replaced. Many consumers are driving the 2006 Sienna's with faulty airbags since it is too expensive to fix which is a safety issue that someone needs to be concerned about and address with Toyota!

- Appleton, WI, USA

May 192012

Sienna 6-cyl

My wife and I got into our van on the 19 of may and when we started the van the airbag light came on. When I took it to the Toyota garage I was told I would need a new passenger airbag and two wiring harnesses for the van at a cost of $1200. I felt this was a safety defect from Toyota and have contacted Toyota customer relations on several occasions to remedy the problem. As of yet it has not been resolved and is under review according to the last email I received from them. I have seen numerous complaints on the web about this same airbag issue and I as well as other customers feels that this is a defect that Toyota should fix before people are killed due to faulty airbags.

- Georgetown, KY, USA

Jun 042012

Sienna 6-cyl

Yet another airbag /SRS warning light fault to report on the Sienna 2006. Code detected is B0116. Airbag wiring harness has to be replaced at a cost of $3000. This is not "wear and tear" it is clearly a manufacturing defect affecting thousands of this model of van. Toyota must accept responsibility for this before there is a fatality caused by airbags not activating.

- Calgary, Alberta Canada, MT, USA

Jun 032012

Sienna 6-cyl

While driving the car, I noted that the air bag warning light (man sitting with balloon) was on - do not exactly know at what mileage it started, but the mileage was 99,950 when I noted the light. Have noted this to be a common problem on this vehicle (make, model, year) as there are many many complaints about this problem. Will be contacting a local Toyota dealer for diagnosis and repair, but am afraid I may have to pay a lot of money for this repair after I research this problem in detail.

- Seabrook, TX, USA

Mar 262012

Sienna 6-cyl

The air bag light warning of my 2006 Sienna (only 45,000 miles) started blinking and didn't stop. According to dealer who run a diagnostic (open circuit B0111 open squib) the circuit wiring harness needed to be replaced. Total cost over $2,000. I used my insurance and had it fixed. The car stayed in the dealer for a whole month since according to them the part was being ordered directly from Toyota and it was coming from Japan. The problem recurred the very next day after I took the car from the dealer after fixed. Took it back to the dealer and was informed that according to Toyota service bulletin a kit needs to be installed at the harness located under the front passenger seat and that the front passenger air bag needs to be replaced. The total cost will be another $1,000. I was advised to contact Toyota customer service to learn what Toyota could do since this is a safety issue caused by a faulty electrical component from manufacturing. I don't believe my insurance will cover for this extra cost. Checking online I noticed that hundreds of other 2006 Siennas are having the same issue. I believe Toyota should issue a recall on this particular model and fix it. I was a happy and satisfied Toyota customer until now and depending on the outcome of my call to Toyota I might not consider Toyota in my next car purchase, unfortunately.

- Loma Linda, CA, USA

Apr 012012

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. While parked, the air bag warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic. The technician stated the air bag and air bag harness on the front passenger side would have to be replaced but the part was not available for repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 59,500.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 222008

Sienna 6-cyl

Airbag lite is on. Code B0111 open side squib P/S tsc 0252-08 appies. R&R side airbag assembly as per tsb 0252-08. Rechecked system working as designed. The entire airbag system does not function when the airbag lite is on. Total airbag system failure. Repaired and working after repair.

- Ringwood, NJ, USA

Apr 272012

Sienna 6-cyl

The driver side airbag light has turned on.

- California, MD, USA

Apr 112012

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the air bag system shorted out and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and would get back in touch with the contact at a later date. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 76,926.

- Lincoln Park, NJ, USA

Jul 012010

Sienna 6-cyl

We purchased the van used in 2009 with 12000 miles on it and made our purchase decision based on the reputation for quality and safety that Toyota had at the time. In July 2009 the SRS warning light began to illuminate. According to the dealer the air bag wiring harness and system was known to have issues. Luckily the dealer convinced Toyota usa to cover the repair. In November 2011 the light again came on and did its blinking thing. Currently we have a little over 48000 miles on the van and the dealer said that because we are past warranty that it won't be covered. A private mechanic tested the system and determined the airbags are not functioning and that Toyota has published a bulletin acknowledging the issue but refuses to repair this safety concern. When the light is blinking or on, the airbags will not deploy, putting everyone inside at risk. A van with 48000 miles should not have to have the airbags replaced twice. Looking at online forums there seems to be hundreds if not thousands of other Sienna owners experiencing the same problems and yet Toyota still refuses to recall the product or offer a reasonable repair. I am afraid that it will take a traffic collision resulting in a death or multiple deaths to push Toyota to fix this systemic problem. A second concern which seems to be problematic with our van as well as others is the welds within the driver door breaking. The vehicle has not been in an accident nor any other major incident to cause them to break. According to the private mechanic, it is a manufacturing issue and that the weld should be one of the strongest parts of the vehicle and shouldn't break.

- Bothell, WA, USA

Mar 202012

Sienna

Pulled code B0111 open side squib (rh) circuit must replace passenger side floor harness and passenger side air bag assembly.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Jul 222011

Sienna

I own a 2006 Toyota Sienna which started displaying an airbag warning light at about 90,000 miles. I had an independent airbag technician run diagnostics. He found a history of increased resistance in the connector under the drivers seat. He stated that he had seen this in the driver and front passenger connections of many 2006 Siennas. I found online that this is a widespread problem of a critical safety system for which Toyota is not taking responsibility. Owners are paying thousands of dollars for repairs only to have it fail again which suggests that Toyota has no idea as to the root of the problem. Hopefully, I have solved my problem by applying penetrox (an anti corrosive zinc paste for electrical connections) to the connectors under both front seats and connecting and disconnecting each about 25 times to clean the contacts. The fix has lasted 2 months so far.

- Cary, NC, USA

Mar 072012

Sienna

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Sienna. The contact was driving 45 to 50 mph when the air bag SRS warning light illuminated repeatedly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer stated that the squid module and harness for passenger air bags needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 44,000. The VIN was unknown.

- Aberdeen, MD, USA

Dec 272011

Sienna 6-cyl

Purchased vehicle used in August 2011 with approximately 52,000 miles. Upon starting vehicle in late December 2011 (approximately 56,000), air bag warning light began to blink. The next day, the light did not blink and appeared unlit (normal). The third day, the light began to blink again and has not stopped. There was no unusual bumping or impact that could have caused the light to illuminate. I took the vehicle to the dealer for diagnosis. Dealer told me that the airbag wires had been "tampered with" - apparently by the previous owner (vehicle has prior salvage title, but has been repaired, inspected, and approved for service again). The deal quoted $2,500 - $3,000 to replace faulty wiring harness. I declined the service in the immediate, to consider the safety and cost repercussions. Although I declined service, the air bag light ceased blinking - even though the vehicle was not repaired. Additional research has revealed hundreds, if not thousands of 2006 Toyota Sienna owners who have had a nearly identical experience. There are tsbs related to this issue. A recall seems necessary for this important safety issue related to an apparent faulty air bag wiring system.

- St. Paul, MN, USA

Jan 072011

Sienna

The airbag warning light on my Toyota Sienna illuminated when the car had about 60,000 miles on it, well before the expiration of Toyota's extended warranty. Two local dealerships told me that it was a wiring harness problem and would cost somewhere between $2000 and $3000 to fix, as it was not covered by the warranty. Fortunately, the light went off after a short time. Now with about 90,000 miles on the car, it has come back on. A quick internet search has revealed literally hundreds of complaints of this same failure, many of which are occurring with very few miles on the car. I cannot imagine why Toyota has not issued a safety recall. Beyond that, I cannot fathom why NHTSA hasn't yet demanded one. This is clearly a defective design and Toyota is not being held accountable for it. Please do something about this. Just do an internet search for 2006 Sienna airbag complaint. You will be shocked at the number and consistency of complaints about this problem.

- Littleton, CO, USA