2007 Toyota Sienna engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Sienna:

2007 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 022016

Toyota Sienna 07 to 13 has oil cooler hose leakage problem, cause it made of rubber and aluminum, rubber part of this cause leakage, because engine oil goes from it with pressure and after some time rubber part goes bad and start leaking when you start the van it comes out, it happens with me twice, first my 07 Sienna has happens I buy a used pipe from junk yard and fix it, after fifteen twenty days it happens again, all of a sudden on a free way my van heat up in left lane and stop engine, I almost got killed for this sudden stop, van has no oil left in engine and it heats up, I pull my van asside and find out that engine oil cooler pipe is off the hook and I am out of engine oil, how I come back its a different story, but when I call Toyota dealer ship for recall they told me this is not a safety reason so L have to fix it myself, my question is that for there cheap material pipes I can got killed, my engine can go bad, but this is not a safety issue for them, can some one help me.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Nov 022015

Driving car in town for about 10 minutes. Stopped at friends house and noticed when I backed out a large oil puddle. Got out and looked under car to see undercarriage covered in oil from front of car to midway down car. Could not tell where it was coming from so I called tow truck to take to Toyota dealership. They found small hole in oil cooler line was spraying oil out. It was half empty of all its oil in that short amount of time. The dealership told me it was going to cost me $360 to replace oil cooler lines. I was very lucky I had not driven very far or probably would have been catastrophic engine failure. After quick check on internet, this appears to be a common issue with oil supply lines in this and other model years. Also looks like there is a new all metal oil supply line and a warranty extension (ZE2), neither of which I was made aware of by my dealership and was very difficult for me to find.

- Bartlesville, OK, USA

Oct 152015

Oil cooler piper ruptured after starting and driving the vehicle causing rapid oil loss while being driven to work. If I did not notice the puddle of oil left by my wifes car she would have driven it home and surely blown the engine. The part was replaced in 2010 during limited service recall but still burst 5 years later.

- Lisle, IL, USA

Feb 102015

The oil pump assembly failed. It was partially made with a rubber hose that did not perform as it should. It needed to be replaced with a solid metal part. Although there was a safety/service bulletin listed by Toyota on this part it cost almost $1200 to repair.

- Orleans, MA, USA

Apr 102015

On 4/10/15, I took the vehicle to motor imports service center for prearranged warranty service work on the vehicle. Motor imports declined to perform the warranty work, alleging that the vehicle was "too dirty" to perform, even though at least two of the recalls would involve no area of the interior. With respect to the interior, the shift assembly was allegedly "blocked" by a newspaper on the console, as well as pens in the ashtray and cd's in the console, and for this, they claimed they could not perform the work. In addition to the above recalls, they were to inspect the dashboard for a fourth recall involving premature degradation of the assembly, which they declined to perform as well.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Mar 082015

Sienna 6-cyl

I believe the product to be defective because of the issue that I had faced with this vehicle 2 weeks back while driving in the freeway. Two weeks back while I was driving with my family (wife and 2 kids) the vehicle on 275 S freeway @ 70mph on 8th March 2015 1:00 am, the engine check light turned on and I noticed the engine heat indicator fluctuate like a fuel indicator. I tried to slow down, but by that time I lost the power of the vehicle, which made it really hard for me to steer the vehicle between the lanes and take it out of freeway to a shoulder, the brakes were not functioning either. It was one of my scariest ride I had in my life (you can imagine yourself, engine loosing power while driving in a freeway, I was with my entire family, and not having control on the vehicle), it put me and my family at such a big risk. Glad I was able to some how take the vehicle out of the freeway and used the parking brake to bring the vehicle to a stop at a freeway shoulder @ 8 mile road exit. The next day, I took the vehicle to victory Toyota of canton, a Toyota dealer for diagnosis. After thorough diagnosis from the dealer, he figured out the engine water pump failed, which lead to the engine getting overheated and engine got damaged, which needs to be replaced. They came back with the cost of 10,000 usd for fixing the vehicle. The vehicle has only 66,860 miles on the odometer.

- Northville, MI, USA

Feb 112015

Sienna 6-cyl

The front lower oil cooler pressure hose (Toyota part no. 15767 31010) started spraying oil out while the van was being driven under normal operating conditions in a residential neighborhood with young children in the car. Had this occurred at a higher speed (on a highway), all the oil would have sprayed out and the engine would have seized. This could have caused an accident or the van could have caught on fire. This is a well known problem with this part that Toyota has done almost nothing to fix or prevent. We were extremely fortunate to have discovered this problem immediately.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Dec 312014

Sienna 6-cyl

I had a catastrophic loss of oil from the underneath of the car, there was a recall on this problem which was fixed back in 2011 but almost every one online that has had this fix has to get it done again. Toyota are not seeking the fix the problem again with a metal hose and we are having to pay for the replacement. Https:// above are several web sites that show this was an issues for many people.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Oct 232014

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Sienna. While driving approximately 20 mph, flames appeared underneath the engine compartment without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 99,000.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Sep 072014

Sienna 6-cyl

My wife was driving our 2007 Toyota Sienna on a major road when she noticed smoke coming from under it. She pulled into a parking lot and shut the engine off, avoiding engine seizure because within just a couple of minutes it had lost 2 qts of oil onto the ground due to a rupture in a rubber oil vvt-1 line. After reading online I found out this is a very common problem which Toyota has refused to address properly. In 2009 Siennas the line have been switched to all metal leaving the rest of their earlier customers with ticking time bombs. This type of failure is unacceptable, an engine seizure at 70mph will be deadly and the spilt oil on the road posses hazards as well. A Toyota dealership wants to charge over $500 to replace this $23 hose.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Jul 252014

Sienna 6-cyl

While traveling at 75mph on interstate, I noticed heavy white smoke trailing vehicle. Slowed and pulled over. Inspected engine and found large oil leak. No check engine or low oil lights illuminated prior to smoke. Entire bottom of the car coated with oil, including exhaust system, front passenger tire and rear tires. No oil registered on dipstick. Towed to Toyota dealer where the car was purchased. Failed part was the oil cooler hose. Technician showed me the faulty rubber hose which had a pin-hole leak and there was barely one half quart in the engine, which holds 6.4 quarts. Judging by how often I had been looking in the rear view mirror due to traffic, I'd estimate the leak was only a few minutes in length and the engine would have been without oil and at highway speed very soon if I hadn't noticed. This is not an extraordinary event until you realize that the oil hose that failed was part of Toyota's 90K oil cooler hose limited service campaign for 2gr-fe V6 engines in 2011. I had my car undergo this fix, which simply replaced a rubber hose with another rubber hose which was supposedly made from a compound that better resists hot oil. The replacement hoses are failing, which is what Toyota tsb-0201-11 "oil cooler seep" (Dec 21, 2011) is meant to cover and it replaces the rubber oil hoses with an all-steel hose. However, it only applies to customers still under the 36,000 mile warranty and with a "seeping" hose. Most 2007 Sienna owners, like me, were well past warranty mileage in 2011, had no indication from Toyota that the rubber oil hoses were potential problems and are only getting the steel hose after catastrophic engine oil loss. I was billed $532 for the oil cooler hose replacement and quoted $307 to replace the O2 sensor which was damaged by the volume of hot oil that sprayed on it. Huge oil loss at highway speeds. Toyota knows, but many owners do not.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

May 272014

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact checked the oil level and noticed it was low on oil. The contact added oil and the vehicle would not restart. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, who stated that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 127,000.

- Durango, CO, USA

Nov 082013

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Sienna. While approaching a stop, the contact noticed steam rising from underneath the hood of the vehicle. The contact looked under the hood and noticed that the engine was covered in oil and there was a puddle of oil on the ground. The dealer replaced the oil feed line, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 109,464.

- Webster, NY, USA

May 062014

Sienna 6-cyl

With no warning at all the engine cooling lines just ruptured in my drive way spilling oil all over the front of my house on the concrete and I have seen people on line with less mileage then my 07 Sienna xle having the similar problem something about cheap rubber was used to make these lines there is even a you tube video on this matter.. this a safety concern glad it happen in front of my house instead of on the road with my family on board.

- Winter Park , FL, USA

Apr 202014

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that upon inspection, it was found that there was an oil leak. The contact diagnosed that the oil cooler hoses needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired by the contact. The approximate failure and current mileage was 79,303.

- Lorton , VA, USA

Apr 132014

Sienna 6-cyl

I am the second owner of the vehicle. I was driving on interstate 5 at 65 miles per hours from sacramento to los angeles. The time was 1600 on 13 April 2014. I did not notice any crack or noise from road debris damage while I am diving. The red low oil warning light on the dashboard did not turn on at the time when the incident happened. I was pulled over a rest stop to use restroom; I also walk around the vehicle to conduct a visual check and fluid check at the same time. I was discovered engine oil was all over the engine bay, undercarriage and the back lift door during the visual check. When I checked the engine oil, the dip stick showed no engine oil. Again, the red low oil warning light did not turn on which indicate low engine oil at that time even the engine had no engine oil. Vehicle was towed to Toyota dealership and discovered an oil cooler hose which make out of rubber was ruptured. Even the oil cooler hose was replaced with a metal oil hose; the engine was damaged by operated without engine oil for a significant period. Prior to the trip, I purchased the all metal vvt-I hose from a local dealership, again no warning from the dealership. I used a local repair shop to replace the vvt-I hose locate at the passage side of the engine to an all metal pipe since I have knowledge on the rubber vvt-I hose have the same rupture issue. However, I have no knowledge on the T-sb-0201-11 which is the Toyota technical service bulletin title oil cooler pipe seep. There is recall regarding shift lock solenoid and severe corrosion of the spare tire carrier cable on the 2007 Sienna, however, there is no recall on possible rupture on vvt-I hose or oil cooler hose. If the recall was issued or at least warned by dealership, I will fix the oil cooler hose at the dealer or a local repair shop and avoid the engine damage which leaded to engine replacement.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Oct 242013

Sienna 6-cyl

Back on August 7, my vehicle was brought to balise Toyota because of a check engine light. They replaced all 6 spark plugs and iginition coils 1 & 6. on October 24, the check engine light came back on and I brought it back to balise Toyota. They saw misfire codes. The cleared the codes and couldn't duplicate it, so nothing was fixed. On December 7, the check engine light came on again. This time, dissatisfied with balise, I brought it to colonial auto. Again, dan murray, the owner of colonial auto found misfire codes and faulty ignition coils for numbers 2 - 5. this resulted in a total charge of $961. I contacted Toyota, because I am unsatisfied with the relability of the Sienna and the lack of care on balise Toyota's follow through. They should have caught this back in August, but now my warranty has expired and Toyota won't help.

- Springfield, MA, USA

Oct 152013

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated that the baffle on the valve cover was fractured, causing damage to the engine. As a result, the engine would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and returned to the dealer as a trade-in. The approximate failure mileage was 27,646. Updated 01/07/14 updated 1/17/2014

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Sep 272013

Sienna 6-cyl

Was driving vehicle on freeway at 70 mph when engine noise started. I soon noticed the check engine light and the oil pressure light was on and stopped the van. Added more oil and restarted the van. I then investigated and found oil leaking out of a ruptured rubber oil cooler hose. I lost nearly 6 quarts of oil that had been pumped out on the highway. (possibly causing a traffic hazard to other drivers) towed van to dealer and had to pay over $250 for repairs to the oil cooler lines. New lines are now all metal lines. Dealer refuses to accept any responsibility for possible engine damage.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Sep 192013

Sienna 6-cyl

Driving my kids to school, which is 3 miles away, and I suddenly smell smoke. When I was coming back, I suddenly here a noise. All of a sudden, the vehicle stops. I had to hire a wrecker to bring it to my house. Once the vehicle was at my house, I tried to find what the cause of the noise was and when looking under the vehicle, I notice the oil had come out from somewhere. I opened the hood of the vehicle to check for the oil and it was empty. About a month ago, the dealer made the oil service. I wonder what happened.

- New Albany, MS, USA