2009 Toyota Sienna body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Sienna:

2009 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 282016

Driver side passenger automatic door cable snapped. Door will automatically shut but will not open. 2100 to fix. Our model year is not included for the same issue for the csp.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Jul 202016

Passenger slide door cable snapped when closing the door. It snapped near the end of the grove where the door slides on to. The other end of the cable which pulls the door to the close position is not going in so the sliding door had to be forced to be closed. Eventually, this cable was winded back into the door. However, with the other end snapped, this end would not be released from the motor after a few times of opening and closing the door manually. This had caused the door to be fully shut and closed. A few more pulls on the door handle from the outside eventually made a few big bangs. These bangs were a result of the motor pulling the remaining attached cable end to snap as well. Now both end of the cables are inside the door/motor. Toyota has a warranty enhancement in regards to this door issue. However, it only covers year 2007 to 2007. Mine is a 2009. I see plenty of people posting online about their 2008 and 2009 Sienna's having this same sliding door cable issue of it being snapped. I can't see why Toyota is not covering these two years. My Sienna was stationary when this happened.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Apr 012016

Rubber coating on handle on tailgate door lift melted. Leaves fingers with black gunk on them that is very difficult to wash off whenever opening this hatch.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

May 012016

Passenger sliding door is locked shut and will not open either with electronic door opener or by hand. Completely locked and safety hazard. Door appears to lock and unlock but cannot open door at all. Driver side back sliding door cable snapped one month ago with wire dangling outside car. That had to be stripped out to get door to open close by hand.

- Verona, NJ, USA

Apr 022016

2009 Toyota Sienna was parked and upon opening sliding rear automatic door, the rear automatic door cable snapped and the door automatically closed and can no longer be opened posing a safety hazard. Toyota has a warranty enhancement replacing the cable assembly for rear doors for 2004-2007 model years, but not for 2009. The thin cable is frayed and rusted indicating a design defect because the cable could have been sheathed better or stainless steel cable could have been used.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Jan 012009

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the dashboard material was defective. The dashboard exhibited fractures at the driver and passenger side air bag areas. The sunlight caused the dashboard to become sticky and caused a reflection on the windshield that obstructed the driver's view. The dashboard was not replaced. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- San Lorenzo, PR, USA

May 282012

Both automatic rear sliding doors stick and have to be used manually. I've already had one door fixed a few years ago.

- Horseheads, NY, USA

Feb 012015

The power cables snapped and one sliding door will not open at all, not even manually. The other opens approximately twelve inches manually then shuts on its own and cannot be help open. Someone can get trapped in the door as it shuts and it does not automatically re-open or "bounce" open. Any back seat passengers must climb through the front doors to get in or out. I have filed a previous complaint but one of the doors would open manually and that is no longer the case.

- Manhattan, IL, USA

Dec 312015

Right side power sliding door cable assy broke during normal operation. A warranty extension was issued by Toyota for the cable to be replaced in 2004-2007 Siennas.2004-20010 model years for latches but the cable problem still exists in my 2009 Sienna. I've seen a lot of similar complaints and the cost is close to $ $2000 to fix.please check into this for the good of the people thanks

- Pine Valley, NY, USA

Jan 292016

Sliding door cable motor assembly broke on both doors. First was during extended warranty period at 40K miles and 2nd door after extended warranty expired at 65K miles. There was a recall on the 2004-2007 for faulty cable assembly but not on the 2009. I feel there should be one for the 2009 as well. This is a 1,400 expense X 2! this happened with normal usage, opening/closing these doors once or twice a day on average. If it were heavier usage they would be snapping more frequently. An average family using this car for 100K miles would have to replace these more than once! that's nearly $6,000 just for door usage.

- Kinnelon, NJ, USA

Mar 042015

Car was parked on level land both times: Damages door #1: upon entering the left rear slider door the cable snapped causing loud noises and a large cable to appear and whip around which could have hit one of my children. I was ready to repair it and took it to the dealership when they informed me of the outrageous cost to repair. Within a few months... the next do happened... damaged door #2: months after witnessing the first door, my daughter and son and I were getting out of the vehicle when suddenly the care shook and sounded like glass was breaking aand before we knew it the cable was whipping around like a wild snake. It was crazy! I made an appointment with the dealership at this point because the doors do not open all the way. I was informed there was no recall and their were no other complaints logged. I see now I was misinformed. Needless to say the work was not completed because of the price to complete the work being too expensive. I am now left with a van/vehicle which will not be worth anything if I wanted to sell it or trade it in for another model. Also, I tried calling the manufacturer myself and they communicated to me they had done one recall on another vehicle I owned and will not help me on another one. This seems to be poor business practice.

- Newton, NH, USA

Dec 272015

The power door cable has rusted clear through and snapped whipping around like a live wire. This was just after I put my 2 year old in his car seat. The car was the door will not open all the way and there is a cable loose on the driver's side. There is a bulletin campaign for the cable on Toyota Sienna cable for replacement up to 2007. But 2008-2010 is not covered. This is crazy that Toyota will not cover it. Https:// there are more people this is happening to, I cannot open my door all the way to get my 2 year old out in an emergency. Unacceptable by Toyota. 1300$ for the part and 5+ hours of labor...for a faulty cable. Dangerous! now I fear the other side will snap too 2009 should be covered under the bulletin attached below

- Rocky Hill, CT, USA

Nov 052015

My passenger side sliding door make a "crack" sound and now I can not open it. I took it to the dealer and showed them the csp no pol12-02 by Toyota and they said that my VIN number wasn't on it even thought it looks to be a latch problem. I asked them to make it so that I can open and close it manually and they said they couldn't do it unless I pay them to open up the door. This is a safety issue where I have two kids in the back seat. Theses doors if the automatic mechanics are broken, they need to make it so that it can be opened manually without the costumer having to pay for it. This is ridiculous how Toyota can't just make a door to open and close. Now I have to drive my kids with one door that sometime comes open while driving.

- Laurel, MD, USA

May 102015

I have the 2009 Sienna, and both sliding door have broken due to the power sliding door assembly snapping, and this same problem is covered on 2004-2007 models even though its the exact same car!

- Spring Valley, NY, USA

Jul 012015

Driver's side power door stopped working. Cable broke. 3 weeks later passenger power door stopped working. Cause of that is unknown.

- Milford , PA, USA

Jul 142014

Sliding door cable snapped. Seems like a common theme so I thought I submit the same thing happen to me. Then the door roller went bad leading to the door coming off. Now door is inoperable.

- Dublin, OH, USA

May 282015

Automatic sliding door cable snapped. Passenger side. This is the second time, same problem.

- Great Neck, NY, USA

Mar 262015

Sienna 6-cyl

Power rear hatch goes up with difficulty, then stops and drops several inches and then powers down. Will not stay up. Toyota put out a special service campaign [recall] 80C in 2008 for this very same problem for 2004 thru 2006 models. They addressed it as a safety problem. The repair was to replace the struts and brackets. My strut P/N is 68905-AE013 which has now substitutes to 68905-AE015. I contacted Toyota headquarters customer service to make a report and was told there is no ssc for my model.

- West Hills, CA, USA

Apr 102013

Sienna 6-cyl

The cable that opens the power sliding doors snapped making the door unable to open. This occurred on the passenger side in April of 2013 at 58,000 and then to the driver side door in August of 2014 at 76,000. We were able to use our extended warranty to pay for the first door. The price to repair this problem is $1,00 to $1,400. Toyota has a recall for this problem up to the 2008 model, but will not repair our vehicle because it is a 2009. To me, this is an obvious design flaw and presents a danger because passengers can't exit that side in an emergency.

- New Kensington, PA, USA

Nov 202012

Sienna 6-cyl

The children lifted back lift gate to put school books into the van and the gate fell on one of them. This has happened to several others since then. A Toyota rep said he has the same vehicle and said he uses a hockey stick to prop open the gate. We tried that for a while but it sometimes fails. We had it replaced (not by Toyota) in August of 2013 and it continues to fail as soon as the weather gets cold.

- Burnsville, MN, USA