2011 Toyota Sienna electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota Sienna:

2011 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 152012

Sienna 6-cyl

I was stopped for a red light at a traffic light on highway 20 in niceville, fl. I had my right foot on the brake when I felt the vehicle attempt to surge forward and I could heard the engine rev. I looked at the tachometer and noticed the engine was at 2000 RPM instead of the normal idle of approx 800 RPM. When the light turned green, I drove away and the vehicle drove normally. I did not have another incident driving home even when I stopped at other traffic lights. This is the second occurrence of this un-commanded acceleration - the other took place last year.

- Niceville, FL, USA

Apr 012011

Sienna 6-cyl

The vehicle engine stalls. This occurs intermittently especially when making turns. I had to press the gas pedal all the way down to accelerate. The vehicle brake lights do not come off for about 10 minutes when the engine and lights have been switched off. It is possible to start the car with the push button without pressing down on the gas pedal sometimes.

- Lakeside, AZ, USA

Oct 232011

Sienna 6-cyl

The power sliding doors on both sides stopped working. Must open and close the sliding doors manually. None of the open buttons on the car or remote responds to opening the sliding doors. Just a beep is heard when the key is pressed.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Apr 272011

Sienna

Electrical failure the clock loses time when you turn off engine then when you start engine it will give you warning to check vsc, SRS airbag is off, radio is off too. The autimatic lock is not functioning we have to lock doors manually. This is frustrating because we have a brand new car!!!

- Northport, AL, USA

May 012011

Sienna 6-cyl

Driver side power door is not opening on its own. With very few miles the door refused to open and close on its own power. As time progressed the door is now not functional in power mode. The van currently has 20000 miles. Dealer blamed customer for problem as the car was "too dusty". dealer is going to attempt to fix under warranty but warned customer if the van is continually driven on gravel roads that the customer will need to wash the car after every dusty trip to ensure the doors do not fail again. The passenger power door is now starting to fail. It was never disclosed to customer that car cannot be driven on gravel or dusty roads. The customer must drive on gravel roads daily so the van is now all but useless for its intended purpose. Additionally the lack of the driver side sliding door to open is a safety concern for rear seat passengers. If the passenger door were to become damaged in an accident the rear occupants would be unable to safely exit the vehicle.

- Scranton, KS, USA

Aug 102011

Sienna

After arriving home with my 2 kids yesterday, we were getting out of the vehicle (2011 Toyota Sienna xle)- my 2 1/2yr old daughter was getting out of the passenger side power door while I was about to get my 3 month old son out of the driver side power door. My 2 1/2yr old daughter pushed the power door button to close her door after getting out of the vehicle and was holding onto the van to gain her ground, at which time the power sliding door closed entirely on her right hand! it did not open with the door sensor as we were told it would do if anything was in the path of the door closing. When I frantically tried to pull open the door from the inside, and push the power door button, the door would not open and she just kept screaming from the other side. I had to put the keys back in the ignition just to open the door and free my daughter! it was a prolonged, scary and traumatizing ordeal that I hope no one else ever has to experience! when you are told the power doors and windows are on a sensor they need to actually function 100%, not only for a large object like a body obstructing the door/window, but also children's hands- after all this is a family vehicle that I was under the impression was built on safety!

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Apr 182011

Sienna

Failure of driver's cabin lamp override switch to extinguish cabin reading lights obscured driver's vision at night during high-speed merge maneuver: I was attempting a high-speed highway merge, at night, entering route 29 from the left side of the highway, when my three-year-old son discovered that he was now tall enough to operate his overhead personal reading light. My vision of merging traffic to the right was suddenly obscured by the unexpected operation of the cabin reading lamp, and the situation was compounded by my inability to quickly override the lamp from the driver's position, in the manner as directed on page 526 of the owner's manual. The reading light above my son's head stayed on. According to the Sienna 2011 owner's manual on page 526, the door light button, above the driver's head, also serves as an override for all the personal cabin reading lights when the "door" function is disabled: Page 526: "rear on/off: Rear personal/interior lights turn on [upon activation of the illustrated individual reading lamp buttons at each seating position] when the personal/interior main switch is in door position." The dual functionality of the door light button is confirmed; on page 525 of the manual, the other well-known purpose of the door button is separately and independently described to activate automatic cabin illumination when entering/exiting the vehicle: Page 525: "door position: The personal/interior lights and rear interior light come on when a door is opened. They turn off when the doors are closed." Therefore, the reference to the door button on page 526 is for the separate override feature. Thank you for your consideration. I recommend Toyota recall the affected vehicles, to correct the functioning of the cabin lamp override switch as this is an essential safety feature of the vehicle for nighttime driving with passengers.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Jan 262011

Sienna

My new 2011 Toyota Sienna le automatic power sliding door on the driver side stopped working. It won't open or close using remote control as well as top console/pillar switches. If I try to open using remote control or switches then it will try to open but close immediately and make beeping sounds. I took the vehicle to the local Toyota dealer couple of times but they simply said there is no problem. Finally, when I called Toyota directly then the same dealer diagnosed it further and found a fault code C224 in the system. Toyota refused to fix the issue promptly until we filed for arbitration to replace the car or refund vehicle purchase price. Toyota finally replaced power sliding door motors for both left and right side to address the issue.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Jan 012011

Sienna

Driver side power sliding door on 2011 Toyota Sienna repeatedly (but intermittently) jams upon opening -- happened almost immediately after purchased. Because the problem was not replicated by Toyota service and no computer error code was registered, they were prohibited by Toyota from attempting to solve the problem. This was despite that fact that I had phone video documenting the problem, a Toyota salesperson observed the door jammed, and previous Toyota technical service bulletins related to the Sienna power sliding door problems (BO010-01). I was told that until enough people complain, Toyota won't recognize that there is a problem and won't do anything about it. This is reminiscent of the Toyota accelerator problem that they refused to address until they were forced to.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 012010

Sienna

Van just won't start. It cranks over but won't start, after tens minutes it started up fine. Van has only 510 miles. At 5500 miles vehicle again cranked but would not start. After it started, it ran rough and died at times, took it to dealer but they can not find problems. Vehicle runs fine, at about 5700 vehicle runs rough and dies at stop lights, took back to dealer this time they say it was a bad computer, Toyota took care of it, a few thousands miles later same problems run rough at times and won't start, took to dealer, can not fine problems, vehicle ran fine, now at 10500 miles same problems again ran rough and die at stop light, but ran fine just a few minutes later, drove home next day, it won't start. Tow to dealer they say it has some moisture in the computer.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 102010

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated the vehicle was equipped with an alarm that would sound when shifting from park to indicate that the rear lift gate was ajar, according to the owner's manual. The contact stated the alarm was defective and would not sound until the contact was driving at speeds of at least 5 mph. The manufacturer advised that the owner's manual was printed before the vehicle was actually manufactured and the vehicle was operating as designed. The contact believed the vehicle should operate as indicated in the owner's manual. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 2,000. Updated 10/15/10 bf the consumer stated the vehicle was equipped with an alarm that would sound when shifting from park to indicate that the sliding door was open. According to the owners manual, a buzzer sound if the shift lever was moved out of park with the engine in the on position and the sliding door not completely closed. Updated 10/21/10

- Columbus, IN, USA

Jul 112010

Sienna

We bought our first minivan - a Toyota Sienna xle 2011- barely two weeks ago from Toyota laurel, md. The second day, the steering started to creak when making turns. Now, the trunk door has stopped working and the local New Jersey dealership dch Toyota is telling us it has been "bent". they are refusing to fix it or replace the vehicle and are telling us our insurance company needs to pay to fix it. The door is not damaged or dented/dinged in any way. It's perfectly fine, except it doesn't close anymore with the remote closing/opening buttons. We believe something is wrong with the electronics, or that the door was not correctly put in when the car was being manufactured. We have a child and would like to know what else is going to break down in this new car through no fault of our own.

- Belle Mead, NJ, USA