2011 Toyota Sienna electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota Sienna:

2011 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 232016

Sienna

Takata recall I received the recall notice from Toyota early June of 2016 to state that the passenger side airbag has been recalled and the remedy was not ready. It has been more than half year since then, and the remedy is still not ready. None of the dealers has it. Toyota hasn't sent any follow up notice since then. I just received another recall notice from Toyota last week to state that the slide doors on the Sienna could open during the driving. My kids sit on it everyday, and it is really scary even though I already turned off the power door function. Even more scary, based on the experience of the airbag, hard to know how long Toyota will take care of this recall. Can someone look into the problem with Toyota and urge them to take the action and start repairing all the critical recalls?

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Aug 292016

Sienna

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the interior lighting illuminated upon making a turn. The lights dimmed after the turn was completed. The contact was uncertain if the vehicle would be repaired by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The dealer was notified of the failure. The manufacturer advised the contact to take the vehicle to a dealer to schedule an appointment. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Guin, AL, USA

Jun 132016

Sienna

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Sienna. While driving 25 mph, the driver side sliding door opened while the vehicle was in motion. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the sliding door motor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 72,000.

- Apollo, PA, USA

Nov 182015

Sienna 6-cyl

Sliding door opened as usual, with a van full of 3 children, age 8 and under. Pouring down rain, the door decides to malfunction, and would not close electrically or manually. I had to drive home w/ the door open. The problem has since been ongoing and now we just don't use the door.

- Orleans, IN, USA

Nov 092015

Sienna

The power sliding door stopped working.. upon close notice, it looks like the cable is broken. I am surprised to see this issue on my 2011 model Sienna xle all wheel drive. It looks like there was a recall related to this issue in the previous generation as shown in this link. media.fixed-ops.com/toy_campaigns/csp-zts.pdf. it seems like the extended warranty covers models from 2007 to 2010... but my car is a 2011 year model purchased during 2010.

- Lee, NH, USA

Aug 072015

Sienna

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the cvt warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle stalled. After several attempts, the vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- New York, NY, USA

Jun 152015

Sienna

Sliding door cable broke due to corrosion

- Sandston , VA, USA

Feb 172015

Sienna 6-cyl

Sliding power doors work intermittently and have needed to be forced open or closed on occasion. However I attempted to use the handle to activate the power door to open the door in order to place my son in his car seat, the door began to open, and then stopped after only opening an inch. The door ajar alarm began sounding. I pulled the door open packed my little one up in his car seat and went to shut the door. The door would not latch to stay closed and the door would move freely without the use of the door handle. The vehicle is now unsafe to Transport anyone in as door can not be closed. At least this happened at home parked in the driveway. But if these doors are failing under normal circumstances I no longer feel I have a safe vehicle to Transport my family in. Who knows what would happen under more stressful conditions. My husband had to tie the door shut in order to take the vehicle to the dealer where the expected repair part was $937. I thought buying Toyota was buying quality but, I guess they don't make them like they used to. I'm not sure if this is a design flaw that Toyota needs to evaluate before someone gets seriously injured or loss of life occurs but, it's fours years old and door complaints, after doing soon research are nothing new. Next vehicle.. if I still need the passenger space a minivan has to offer I think I'll look at Honda instead.

- Martville, NY, USA

Jun 142011

Sienna

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 10 mph, the brake pedal was applied and the vehicle hesitated to stop. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact also stated that the windows failed to operate and the sliding doors failed to stop automatically. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the windows were repaired but the sliding doors were not. The specifics of the repairs were unknown. The contact also stated that the vehicle failed to start and required to be jump started. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the battery was replaced but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100.

- Wickliffe, OH, USA

Oct 202014

Sienna

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the rear passenger sliding door cable and the door motor failed. As a result, the door open warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who stated that the door cable and the motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Lakewood , NJ, USA

Sep 012014

Sienna

Power sliding back doors attempting to open while driving, sticks in partial opening. Fear doors will open and kids will fall out while driving. Multiple complaints online with same problem. Costs are expensive to repair.

- Jeremiah, KY, USA

Oct 222014

Sienna 4WD 6-cyl

I was backing out of my driveway and heard a clunk. The area was clear so I didn't hit anything. Lost power steering and power brakes. The information screen flashed messages to check brakes and contact dealer. I drove back into driveway with difficult steering and slow enough to not need brakes. The engine was running fine. I shut it off thinking something needed to reset. It would not start again. Hat it towed to dealer. They replaced a fuse ($445 + towing). My concern is that if this had happened while in traffic at a higher rate of speed, it would be difficult to steer or stop. The dealer stated they had never seen this before where the engine would continue to run and the fuse is usually blown if someone reverses polarity during a jump start. I have had the vehicle for over 1 year and have never jump started it.

- Bonita Springs, FL, USA

Mar 132012

Sienna

I was parking the car and needed to move the vehicle backward in a parking lot with a slight slope. When I attempted to move the shift lever to reverse the lever locked up and the vehicle started to roll backward. I applied the brakes to no avail and the engine died. The steering was locked. The ignition switch also locked. The vehicle stopped. I called the Toyota dealer and the service manager said to apply the brakes vigorously, at the same time pump the accelerator and turn the ignition. I did and the functions all started working. No damage, no injuries. This occurred in fredericks burg, tx this appears to be the same incident in complaint # 10585286, dated 3-17-2014.

- Longview, TX, USA

Oct 012012

Sienna 6-cyl

The security alarm goes off at random time. I took it to a Toyota dealer and they tell me they cant duplicate the problem.

- Lake Worth , FL, USA

Mar 172014

Sienna

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while reversing from a parking space, the steering seized without warning. The contact was not able to turn in either direction and had to restart the vehicle to regain steering capabilities. The contact also stated that on a separate occasion, the key could not be turned in the ignition. The contact had to call roadside assistance to get the vehicle started. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, they were unable diagnose the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 24,000.

- Los Angles, CA, USA

Apr 042014

Sienna 6-cyl

Within one week of purchase, the driver side, power assist sliding door failed to open completely. After initially opening six inches it would only move four inches in either direction by pulling the exterior handle. Only with multiple pulls/jerks could the door be fully opened or closed. This problem would manifest unpredictably, most often with the driver side power door, but once with the passenger side. Otherwise the doors functioned properly about eighty percent of the time. This failure appears to involve a safety feature which prevents the door from advancing when sufficient resistance is met. In all cases of failure no mechanism for resistance was found. My fear is that the safety feature may also fail when it needs to perform properly, to prevent an arm or leg from being crushed.

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Feb 282014

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns 2011 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who performed a diagnostic and determined that the battery failed and caused the vehicle to stall. The battery was replaced however the dealer could not explain the cause of the battery failure. Additionally, the contact stated that the engine was previously replaced due to failed springs which caused the valves to also fail. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 31,312 and the current mileage was, 31,800.

- Holland , OH, USA

Aug 192013

Sienna 6-cyl

In the morning car did not start, battery was dead. I charged battery overnight. After 2 hr of driving ( 120 miles) car was parked for 2 hr, when I tried to start it battery is dead again ( had to jump start it) after driving ~ 7 miles I parked car and battery was disconnected. After 4 hr I connected again and no problem with starting. Dealer (schaumburg Toyota) kept my car for 3 days. They replaced sliding door switch and integration relay. They told me that everything is fixed. I parked car in garage and in the morning I could not start it again. Had to go back to dealer. Car is still at the dealership lets hope they will fix this problem this time.

- Bensenville , IL, USA

Jul 302013

Sienna 6-cyl

While driving down the road in the van with 7 elderly people it caught on fire and smoke came into the cabin via A/C vents. I pulled over and all 7 of us scrambled to get out of the van. Fire was pouring out from underneath and black smoke out of the hood. Within about 20 seconds after we got out, the van was fully engulfed in fire. The van was totally destroyed and only the metal frame was left. The fire investigator hired by my insurance company believes the fire started in the ECM. There were no warnings at all except the smoke in the cabin and from under the hood. We were extremely lucky to get out alive as we are all over 75 yrs old and not all of us in great health. The van is a total loss and my Toyota is aware of the event and a claim number assigned to us.

- Pelham , GA, USA

Jul 202013

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Sienna. The contact stated that the front passenger's side door caught on fire. The fire spread to the fuel tank and flames quickly engulfed the vehicle. The fire was extinguished by the fire department. The vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle was not inspected. In addition, the contact stated that the security system would sporadically sound prior to the fire incident. The vehicle was not inspected too determine the cause of the fire. The failure and the current mileage was 24,000.

- Pittsburg, PA, USA