2001 Toyota Tacoma body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Tacoma:

2001 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jan 172015

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the rear frame became detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the rear frame needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 220,000.

- Madison, WV, USA

Nov 052012

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that when the vehicle was taken for an inspection, the mechanic noticed that the entire frame was rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 72,000.

- Timberlake, OH, USA

Jul 312014

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. While routine maintenance was being performed on the vehicle, the technician noticed that the subframe was completely corroded. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician deemed the vehicle unsafe to drive. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 126,000..updated 09/30/14

- Lexington, KY, USA

Aug 192014

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. While servicing the vehicle, an independent mechanic discovered that the frame needed to be replaced due to corrosion build-up. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 171,000.

- Cheshire, MA, USA

Aug 152014

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the frame was completely corroded and began to deteriorate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the frame needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 230,000...updated 10/06/14 updated 3/11/2015

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Jan 082014

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the sub frame was perforated due to rust. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the entire frame needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 102,000 and the current mileage was 111,000.

- Burbank, IL, USA

Jun 032013

In reviewing your website for recalls on the Toyota Tacoma, it appears that there is one missing that came before the recall for the spare tires. The one I speak of is the recall on the vehicle for frame perforations of which my vechicle now has and has deemed unsafe for driving. I believe this recall should be enforced by Toyota as myself and numerous others have vehicles that cause safety hazards for not only ourselves but injuries to others. These vehicles are still on the road, as others like my self were not aware of the dangerous situatin Toyota has placed us in because they are doing nothing to rectify the situation, I'd like to take M vehicle in for the tire recall however I will not risk my life in order to get this repair done. As an Agency to is established to protect consumers from hazards, I and many others (visit facebook page Toyota Tacoma frame defects) feel that your Agency should step-up and do something about this.

- Sterling, CT, USA

Sep 232013

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

We purchased a 2001 Toyota Tacoma new in late 2000. My husband recently realized the frame is almost rusted through on the rear of the vehicle near the gas tank. Needless to say, it isn't safe to drive the vehicle until/if it can be fixed. We have viewed and read up on numerous complaints from other Tacoma owners and have seen some recalls or notifications to select Tacoma owners but not in the state we reside in-mo. We ran into a similar issue with another non-Toyota vehicle which only covered hot-weather states. We live in Missouri....we have experienced extreme heat and cold during the last few years. It's unreasonable to me that the auto dealers can exclude certain states when it is highly likely customers in those excluded states could experience the same issue. If it's determined to be the same issue owners in other states are facing, why not agree to cover the repair"?" we plan to do some investigating and calling of our own to see if Toyota is going to pay for the repair or at least offer us a reasonable buy back option. We are Toyota owners and plan to stay that way depending on how this all turns out. We've always urged others to buy Toyota vehicles due to their longevity and reliability....I hope we're not going to be proven wrong on this one.

- Altenburg, MO, USA

Mar 092013

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while the vehicle was having routine maintenance performed, the technician noticed that the frame was rusted and corroded. The manufacturer was notified who recommended that the vehicle not be driven. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 71,000.

- Timberlake, OH, USA

Apr 122011

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The frame of my 2001 Toyota Tacoma was replaced in 2010 because of severe rust problems. The rear axle assembly has the same rust problem, the axle is leaking. Should Toyota have replaced the rear axle also.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Nov 112010

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. While the vehicle was at the dealer to have a corrosion resistance product applied to the frame, the technicians stated the frame was rusted. The manufacturer had a voluntary recall which extended the warranty for the vehicle to be inspected yearly for corrosion. The dealer stated the frame would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted and stated the frame would be replaced free of charge but if there were other parts that may be damaged due to the corrosion that the contact would have to cover the costs. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- Kirkwood, PA, USA

Nov 232010

Tacoma 6-cyl

This is about my 2001 Toyota Tacoma in Massachusetts on June 6 2008 went in for frame inspection report from dealer no rot condition is excellent brought it in today November 23, 2010. Total rot replacing the frame, up to 3 month wait for frame.

- Franklin, MA, USA

Oct 202010

Tacoma 6-cyl

The 2001 Toyota Tacoma truck I owned was recalled for rusting frame. At the time I received the recall notice the frame on my truck was almost 90% rusted. On May 7, 2010 I took it to fox lake Toyota dealership for the said recall and application for a corrosion preventative compound was performed by the dealer service department. On early October of this year I notice that large amount of the applied compound are peeling. I took it back to the same dealership on October 20 for inspection related to the peeling issue. The dealership called back October 22 informing me that they can't do anything since almost all of the compound are now gone. The service personnel claim that upon speaking to Toyota, it was noted that they are researching it. I was told to take my vehicle back. I have the vehicle with me now but I am afraid to drive not knowing if the frame has rusted throughout. I inquired to the service personnel if the vehicle is safe to drive but did not get a straight answer. With winter approaching the vehicle will be again subjected to the corrosive environment. To date I have not receive a call back from the dealership or Toyota as to what action they need to perform. No claim number was also provided by the dealership for me to use in case I call Toyota directly.

- Round Lake, IL, USA

Sep 282010

I own a 2001 Toyota Tacoma doublecab that I purchased used in 2008. I recently received a letter from Toyota stating that I should make an appointment to have the frame checked out for corrosion and rust. I did and it failed inspection. It was perforated on both sides of the frame and had excessive rust. Toyota offered to replace the frame rather than buy the truck back. I do not feel safe in this vehicle anymore. The rear bumper is rotted through, the frame, and by doing research I've found several recalls that I was unaware of. They want to break down the truck to the frame and replace and rebuild it with the same old parts in a dealership, not a manufacturing plant. I was told that Toyota does not buy back 2001 Tacoma and refuses to negotiate to get this vehicle off the road. This vehicle was not rebuilt when I bought it and think that it is very unfair that I only have one option. This vehicle is unsafe and I will no longer drive it even if they replace the frame. The consumer should have an option to have the vehicle bought back for what it is worth at least.

- Cumberland , RI, USA

Jun 242010

The frame my 2001 Toyota Tacoma was built on is rotting and has a whole in it. Toyota wants to replace the frame, but the cost exceeds the value of truck. I do not think this is legal. The first customer service rep I spoke to said "she would not feel safe in a truck in similar circumstances".

- Killington, VT, USA

Jun 252009

Just paid top dollar for a 2001 Toyota Tacoma only to find on the inside of the frame is completely rotted away and is very unsafe with any weight loaded in it. Have found numerous accounts of premature frame failure due to faulty materials documented on the internet. New frame would need to be replaced along with new fasteners.

- Lindenhurst, IL, USA

Jun 042010

My 2001 Toyota Tacoma has a perforated frame. I was issued a letter from Toyota explaining the options. One option was to replace my frame. The other option was for Toyota to buy back my vehicle at 1.5 % of excellent kelly blue book. I was not given the buy back option and they are trying to force the frame replacement on me. I am not happy with the remedy they have selected for me. This vehicle may never be the same after the frame is replaced. This is not any easy fix. To many parts are involved and I was informed it will take about 2 months to complete these repairs.

- Hugheston, WV, USA

May 142010

Toyota refused to fix dangerous rust defect on 2001 Tacoma, which caused a rear differential gear oil leak.

- Coram, NY, USA

Jul 102009

My 2001 Toyota Tacoma has dealer verified frame rust perforation. When the first letter from Toyota came to my door in early 2009 I went directly to my local dealer who did not know anything about this issue and stated to me that they would get back to me with more information as it became available to them. Several months later, I was told by the dealer that Wisconsin was asking Toyota to provide more data on the propose solutions to this issue and had not approved Toyota to make any repairs. I was also told that they would contact me when I could get my truck inspected. Many more months passed and finally I had enough and called Toyota direct. I was assigned a case manager and she said she would help me get my truck inspected. This finally happened on April 27, 2010. Now they tell my only option is a replacement frame, which to me is not acceptable. Then lucky 2001 owners who were able to get quick inspections were offered the buy back option. In various forums the ones with the replacement frames are seeing issues with leaking gas tanks, and up charges for incidental items.

- Nekoosa, WI, USA

Apr 172010

2001 Toyota Tacoma-pass NJ state inspection. A friend looked and said your frame is rusted. Took it to my local Toyota Saturday 4/17/10 and they said the truck was unsafe to drive. They will have to replace the frame. I said I needed a truck for a rental they said by Monday or Tuesday they should have one. It is Thursday 4/22/10 and can not get in touch with anyone... I need a truck that is how I put food on my table.. called corporate and they are giving me the run around too... my other concern is after they remove everything and put it back together other things are going to break. Also, the resale value of my truck has decreased...

- Hamburg, NJ, USA