1.6

2001 Toyota Tacoma body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Tacoma:

2001 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Apr 172010

Tacoma

2001 Toyota Tacoma-pass NJ state inspection. A friend looked and said your frame is rusted. Took it to my local Toyota Saturday 4/17/10 and they said the truck was unsafe to drive. They will have to replace the frame. I said I needed a truck for a rental they said by Monday or Tuesday they should have one. It is Thursday 4/22/10 and can not get in touch with anyone... I need a truck that is how I put food on my table.. called corporate and they are giving me the run around too... my other concern is after they remove everything and put it back together other things are going to break. Also, the resale value of my truck has decreased...

- Hamburg, NJ, USA

Jun 012008

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. When he took the vehicle to the dealer for routine maintenance he was informed that the front frame would eventually fall off. He contacted the manufacturer and report 2008061402 was filed. The manufacturer sent an inspector who found no corrosion or holes on the frame. The manufacturer told him because a failure was not located they will inspect the frame for him on a yearly basis. The failure mileage was 178,567 and the current mileage was 209,000.

- Mansfield , PA, USA

Nov 252008

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. The emergency/parking brake would not engage. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic for inspection. The mechanic discovered corrosion on the frame and the brake linkage. He then added that the vehicle was non-repairable. The current and failure mileages were 159000.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Oct 012009

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. She noticed corrosion on the frame of her vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who advised her to contact both NHTSA and the manufacturer in reference to a safety concern. The manufacturer had not yet returned her call. No repairs were made. The current and failure mileages were under 70,000.

- Sanford , ME, USA

Oct 052009

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota Tacoma. The frame on the vehicle has corrosion and there was a hole in the frame on the driver side near the fuel tank. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The technician stated the main frame was severely damaged, but no repairs were made. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle identification number was unavailable. The failure and current mileages were 109,000.

- Marietta, OH, USA

Aug 062009

Perforated frame.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

Jul 292009

Tacoma

The frame on my 2001 Toyota Tacoma is rusted through in several places. Toyota has offered to replace the frame for free, but is offering owners of 1995 - 2000 Tacoma to buy their trucks from them for 1.5 X the kelley blue book value, at the "excellent condition" rate regardless of the vehicle's condition. So the owners of the older trucks reap a cash benefit of over 50% of the truck's value, while we owners of 01-04 Tacoma end up driving rebuilt vehicles. A Toyota rep told me that they're buying the older ones back because they can no longer get replacement frames for them. If that's the case, in a couple of years, owners of trucks like mine will be getting the 150% buyback and the rest of us will be driving our original (rebuilt) trucks with the replacement frames. My local Toyota dealer inspected my frame yesterday, told me it failed, and sent me on my way. The vehicle can't be safe - it won't pass the state inspection with holes in the frame. I drive about 12,000 miles a year. The truck has 134,000 miles on it. Unless they're building the replacement frames differently, it's possible that the new frame will rot out before the truck wears out otherwise. For a company whose reputation is built on reliability, you'd think they'd want to treat all the owners of the defective vehicles the same.

- West Bath, ME, USA

Jun 172009

Tacoma

I am filing a complaint on a 2001 Toyota Tacoma with a rusty perforated frame. We have documents and pictures of two holes and flaking on our frame. Many mechanics have told us that our frame was unsafe, but when brought to Toyota dealerships we are told that it passes their 2001-2004 rust perforation program and they sent us away. We are left with an unsafe vehicle and we know that it contains perforation in the frame. We have requested to see the Toyota regional representative for South Texas, but we are getting the run around. We requested to see the rep a month ago and have heard nothing since. We do have a case manager and # but our case keeps getting closed and our case manager doesn't seem to have any authority to accept pictures of the perforation or to contact the regional representative. We would appreciate a face to face talk with a Toyota representative who could explain why our half dollar sized perforation does not qualify for further inspection by Toyota.

- Harlingen, TX, USA

Mar 302009

Tacoma

2001 Toyota Tacoma rusted frame. Called the services dept where I bought the truck and they said that there's no recall or anything to evaluate the problem. That my yr did not qualify for the rusted frame issue. My inspection station said that it's so rusted that he shouldn't pass me. That he would for this yr but forget for next yr.

- N Weymouth, MA, USA

Apr 232008

Tacoma

Received a recall notice letter for my 2001 Toyota Tacoma (letter stated vehicles covered were 2001-2004). The reason was to inspect frame for rust perforation. Upon inspection the vehicle was found to have the perforation. Their offer option would be to have the frame replaced. The replacement would come with a warranty of the frame for an additional 15 years(...on the new one.....frame only...) but no other warranty of the affected components removed, handled, or replaced during the frame replacement would be warrantied. I have opened a case with Toyota stating that I would be better served with the optional buyout, mentioned in the recall letter, which is available at their option. It is under review.

- Londonderry, NH, USA

Apr 112009

Tacoma

2001 Toyota Tacoma with diagnosed rust perforation to frame. Toyota instituted a buyback program for 1995 through 2000 for this issue, but will not honor this commitment to vehicles post this window that experience this same safety issue. Toyota will only replace frames as countermeasure to this issue and will not warrant this teardown/reassy process that will be performed at dealerships (not return to factory for rework) which will leave the consumer open to additional vehicle (safety) concerns and no commitment from Toyota that this process will not affect resale value as well. This is an unacceptable and unsafe stance. I have contacted Toyota customer care and assigned case number 0904119004 and awaiting feedback.

- Frankfort, KY, USA

Mar 242009

Tacoma

2001 Toyota Tacoma frame rust perforation. Toyota should be forced into a recall on the Tacoma truck frames. Mine is perforated to the point where the vehicle is not safe, only 70,000 miles.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Mar 152009

Tacoma

I own a 2001 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck that has excessive frame rot. Recently the frame broke where the rear bumper mounts to the frame. There is rot located all over the frame. This vehicle falls into the scope of Toyota motor company rusted frame problem.

- Lakeville, MA, USA

Feb 182009

Tacoma

I had my 2001 Toyota Tacoma checked and the frame is rusted out, the dealer deemed it unsafe to drive, I contacted Toyota that same night and they said to take it home if you don;T have a ride. Dealer said all they can do is a frame replacement and I said this is not acceptable, why isn't Toyota treating this the same way as it did the 1995-2000 models??.. I know that the truck will never be the same once the mechanics are done, , this is like going back into production, and I know they're not trained for that.. Toyota didn't know what type of warranty I would have after the work was done, , they said that the solution to this problem was decided on 02/06/09, my truck was evaluated on 02/18/09 a matter of 12 days, , I never received any type of notice on this. My mechanic say the problem when I went for my 3000 mile oil change which I've done since I've owned this truck, ,it only has 84000 miles on it and is in pristine condition..

- Salem, NH, USA

Oct 012008

Tacoma

I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma that has frame rust through, and have received no help from Toyota about a fair buy back as they do with the 95-2000 trucks. The truck has been inspected by Toyota service, the service person said it failed but the factory district guy says it isn't bad enough. I now have a truck with a rusted frame that I can't sell and they won't buy back.

- Woodland, MI, USA

Dec 302008

Tacoma

Toyota Tacoma 2001 perforated frame Toyota refuses to publicly declare these cars are unsafe to drive. My frame is perforated and deemed by the local Toyota dealer as unsafe to drive. They admitted this is a "known" problem and I now must accept complete liability if I take the car off the lot. My case manager kevin insisted that "Toyota has publicly announced a warranty extension on December 8th, but it is physically impossible to notify all the owners." Yet he could not make any reference to where I could find this public announcement. Toyota insists that this does not constitute a recall, yet his explanation for a recall was a faulty component that causes a safety issues that will be replaced by the manufacturer. This is precisely what the case manager stated Toyota is preparing to do. How can Toyota be aware of such a safety hazard and not inform the owners. Had I not performed routine maintenance, I would still be commuting 130 miles a day at 65 miles and place others at risk. My dealer stated that there are multiple 2001 Tacoma in our small town that have already been found to be unsafe other than NHTSA, what authority exists in the United States that has the ability to publicly announce this safety issues and force Toyota to recall these vehicles.

- Sandyston, NJ, USA

Jan 172009

Tacoma

2001 Toyota Tacoma with failing frame due to rust issues. My understanding is that Toyota is now offering to replace failing frames on 2001 and newer models as opposed to their buyback of 95-200 models. Unacceptable due to the obvious decreased retail value caused by this major issue, not to mention that many certified mechanics state that the frame replacement is a terrible idea due to the electrical, alignment, and structural issues that are common when this is done. Never a good idea and Toyota knows it. I am in limbo, wanted to trade in my truck, but am not being offered the same plan that 95-2000 owners were.

- Bellaire, OH, USA

Dec 232008

Tacoma

On 12/23/08 when my vehicle was in for normal service I was told by the dealer that my frame was rotting and the vehicle was not safe to drive. I was told to call Toyota Corp and a case was assigned (200812230213). On 12/24 a case mgr called me and said that my entire frame had to be replaced and that they would be extending my warranty. He stated that the frame is rotted and unsafe so I was to be provided a loaner from my dealer - but not a like vehicle. I was told I would get a letter outlining the program Toyota was introducing. The program as told is different than the one Toyota has for pre-2001 Tacoma. I was told that program was different and not available because parts (frame) are available. I spoke again with the case mgr on 1/6/09 and was told they do not know when parts will be available, he could not provide me the letter detailing the program, and I had to wait. My vehicle is deemed unsafe to drive by Toyota and they have it at the local dealer yet they have not provided me documented details on the issue or the program to remedy it. This is the same issue as pre-2001 Tacoma's have yet Toyota is not offering the same program. They have now had my truck for 3 weeks and when I spoke with the dealer today they themselves have not gotten official notice from Toyota, have no idea of parts availability, have not been told what part numbers to order, and do not know when they may get info. 3 weeks without my vehicle, in a non-like replacement, and with no documented info from Toyota is not acceptable. Updated 02/05/09.

- Warwick, NY, USA

Jan 042009

Tacoma

I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma extd. Cab and the frame has holes rotted in it. Obviously my '01 doesn't qualify for the '95-'00 buyback program. Toyota says they will replace the frame but I don't like this option. I personally know the truck will never be the same and the resale value is going to drop significantly. I want to be offered the same buyback option as the older Tacoma.

- Saltsburg, PA, USA

Jan 022009

Tacoma

Toyota issued a recall on 95-2000 Tacoma pickup trucks due to frame rot. I have a 2001 Tacoma and was concerned that I might have the same issue. I called the dealership I purchased my truck at 3 separate times in the last 6 months to "double check and make sure" my truck was okay and was assured all three times, by three different individuals, that no such issue pertained to my vehicle and that my truck was fine. Last Friday (1-2-09) I was unable to pass the state inspection because of frame rot. The dealership confiscated my truck but did provide a rental vehicle and I am now waiting to hear back from Toyota about the resolution for my truck. The 95-2000 owners were offered a very fair buy-back program. The 2000-2004 owners who are experiencing the same problem are in a "gray area" right now. The service people at the dealership say that Toyota will be replacing the frames of these trucks rather than "buying them back." Although that sounds fair at first, when numerous ase certified mechanics (many Toyota Tacoma owners themselves) are coming out saying that the frame replacement is a horrible idea, I have a concern. They cite ongoing problems that occur as is the case with a major frame swap, mentioning electrical issues, misalignment, uneven wear, rattles and squeaks, etc. The truck will never be the same again. I purchased a Toyota for their reliability, dependability and high resale value. The kbb value for my truck has plummeted in just the last couple months, and even with a frame swap, I have been told that the value will drop still further, thus making it near impossible to get even close to what my tuck should be worth. If the mechanic who performed my inspection had not inspected the frame as well, I would be riding around with the potential to injure or kill myself and others without knowing that Toyota is aware of these issues and has yet to issue any official statement to owners like me that a serious problem exists.

- Hudson, ME, USA