2005 Toyota Tacoma body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Tacoma:

2005 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Jan 202016

Tacoma

I purchased this truck about a year ago. I recently heard of a settlement regarding rusty frames. My truck has one, very bad and I need to know how to proceed to get this fixed or traded in.

- Bellingham, WA, USA

Nov 152016

Tacoma

Toyota truck recall on frame rust and corrosion. I brought truck to prime Toyota lancaster MA the frame was coated with an undercoat paint. The truck went in for repairs when it was on the lift the mechanic said there were holes and corrosion in the frame and it was a safety issue to drive. I asked the dealer about having it fixed I was told to contact corporate. Corporate told me the recall has been closed out and that did what was necessary to fix it. They just covered up the rust and corrosion. I'm afraid to drive my truck for fear I might get seriously injured. I need help thank you!

- Leominster, MA, USA

Nov 112016

Tacoma

Frame defect with rust and corrosion. Not sure when the corrosion started, but I discovered Nov 11, 2016 - while doing a transmission fluid change. The major rust and corrosion appear to be concentrated near the catalytic converters on both sides of the vehicle affecting the integrity of the frame. See attached photos for left side (driver side) and right side (passenger side).

- Lexington Park, MD, USA

Sep 012016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension). The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for routine servicing and was informed that there was extensive rust, corrosion, holes, and cracks in the frame. The vehicle would not pass an inspection unless the parts were replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and indicated that the recall remedy statute expired in March of 2016, but refused to provide a recall repair solution. The contact was informed to take the vehicle to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact was uncertain of when the vehicle would be repaired. The failure mileage was not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Quakertown, PA, USA

Oct 062016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact took the vehicle to be serviced for NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension). The campaign expired in March of 2016 and the undercoating, performed by another dealer, failed to stop the corrosion. It was diagnosed that either the frame needed to be repaired or the entire vehicle needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 142,000.

- Milton, VT, USA

Oct 112015

Tacoma

My truck frame is severely rusted. Toyota had a voluntary frame exchange program, for which I qualified. I first took my truck to the local dealer (penn Toyota in greenvale, NY) for inspection as per Toyota's program in October 2015. Dealer confirmed that a new frame is needed and advised me that it is on order. Since Oct 2015, I followed up with dealer several times, and in January 2016, dealer advised that they do not have the documentation in their system. So I brought my truck back in again, and service manager jimmy confirmed that I am entitled to a new frame under Toyota program and they will place the order for me. Again, I continued to follow up several times each month and was told that frame is on order. In March 2016, I followed up again with dealer because the Toyota program was about to expire. Dealer again reassured me that my case is in the system but it will take some time to receive new frame. In April 2016, I followed up again but this time I was told that there is no data in their system about having ordered a new frame for my truck. I immediately contacted Toyota corporate office and they opened a case number (160-422-2525). I was told by Toyota representative handling my case that they are getting a new frame for me. It is now September 2016 and I still have not received any new updates. Due to the large rust holes in my frame and having read reports of other owners having similar issues (and Toyota's acknowledgement of the problem as evidenced by the frame replacement program), I have not been able to fully make use of my truck since I first learned about the rust because I do not feel safe driving it.

- New Hyde Park, NY, USA

Aug 142016

Tacoma

The frame on this truck had been replaced due to excessive rust. The rear bumper support bc and factory installed tow hitch were re installed. That was November 2014. In August of brad 2016 while towing a small camper on the mass turnpike, the hitch to frame attachment failed on the driver's side of the frame. Pulled over when I heard the thump.

- Carver, MA, USA

Sep 012016

Tacoma

The Tacoma is susceptible to unusual amounts of frame rust and while underneath mine, changing the oil in the truck I found holes in the truck frame large enough to fit my fist in. So far I've received the run around from Toyota. They had a limited service campaign and replaced many truck frames. That stopped in March of 2016. Now they aren't doing anything about this problem and leaving it on the shoulders of americans to deal with. In addition to that, after their own admission, one could only suspect that the frames that weren't replaced have a high likelihood of failure on the highways, especially in states where they (the states) don't do rigorous inspections to get vehicles licensed. After the research that I've done I've discovered a few things; the trucks have a fundamental frame problem. Toyota admitted that there is a problem. Many of us, (Tacoma owners) can't afford to replace the truck frame or purchase another vehicle to replace it with potentially making the highways and Toyota drivers unsafe because of a known manufacturing defect that Toyota won't rectify. Additionally, I'm sure based on forums and other reviews I've uncovered online, that many of the vehicle owners are completely unaware of the defect and the threat to their own safety, and the safety of those around them on the roadways due to said defect.

- Loveland, CO, USA

Sep 042016

Tacoma

While underneath truck investigating noise from vibrating metal I noticed the frame badly rusted near the catalytic converter to the point where a large hole formed. Rusted pieces of the frame fall off when lightly tapped with a hammer. A quick internet search made it apparent this is a very common problem. Truck was bought and always registered in a southern state but was driven in Illinois for 3 years while on military orders. There is surface rust everywhere but I haven't done a complete inspection yet to find other holes.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Aug 242016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. After pumping ten gallons of fuel in the vehicle and driving home, the contact noticed that the front strap holding the fuel tank fractured. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 59,000. Updated 010/04/16

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Jan 012016

Tacoma

Major rust damage on frame after only 8 years of vehilce being released, a 2 by 4 inch wide hole on both sides for the trucks frame causing warping and bending as well as unsafe driving conditions. When taken to Toyota dealership repairs took 9 months, and upon completion was send back to owners possession without test driving or verifying project completion.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Feb 012016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. While the vehicle was stationary, it was discovered that there were holes in the frame of the vehicle. The contact also stated that there was a brake line failure that occurred in the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 91,213. The VIN was not available.

- Craftsbury, VT, USA

Jul 222016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (air bags); however, the dealer refused to perform the recall repair for free due to excessive corrosion. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Dillon, MT, USA

Mar 102016

Tacoma

The owner of the Toyota Tacoma received a safety recall notice informing the owner that certain Toyota vehicles from the year 2005 -2011 has had a defect with rear leaf spring. The owner immediately went to Toyota of bowie, Maryland he informed them the notice he received in March. He has called the manager several times during the last 4 months to give an update of the parts. It's been 4 months the car hasn't been fixed.

- Riverdale, MD, USA

Jun 292016

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

I am writing to you in reference to my 2005 Toyota Tacoma. As you may be aware, Tacoma have been having problems in the states with harsh winters, and with corrosions of the frame from road salt. The problem has been so evident that Toyota has admitted to not having adequate corrosion resistant protection. The first time I became aware of this issue was at the end of June 2016. I called my Toyota dealer about two other recalls and inquired about the frame issue as well. The service technician told me that the frame in fact had a żlimited service campaignż issued by Toyota which expired March 31, 2016. He said to bring in my truck for the other two recalls (one was for the leaf spring) and he would inspect the frame (see page 2 of service invoice). After inspection, the technician said he did not think the truck would hold up in an accident. I called Toyota customer service experience, in California, and asked for their help and explained the situation above. They gave me a case number (1607110805) and said they would get back to me. When I received the call back, they declined my request do to missing the deadline. If this problem is a known situation with Tacoma (enough for a żlimited service campaignż), one would think to ensure the safety of their customers, they would send a certified letter. Not only is my safety in jeopardy, but I cannot even trade my vehicle in for one that will ensure my safety due to financial limitations and the decreased value of my truck not having this issue resolved. If Toyota really cares about their product and the safety of their customers, they would do the right thing and replace my truck frame (especially since one of their own certified mechanics determined the truck has been effected by the very same campaign). Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully you can help me resolve this issue.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Jun 152016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the frame of the vehicle, near both front tires and the rear driver's tire, had rust that created holes. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was no longer under warranty to receive a recall repair. The approximate failure mileage was 171,000.

- Wethersfield, CT, USA

Jun 172016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. While the vehicle was parked, the contact noticed that the subframe underneath the vehicle was corroded and had holes. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was included in an extended warranty campaign, but the campaign had expired. The failure mileage was 170,000. Updated 09/06/16

- Wethersfield, CT, USA

Apr 252016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. A mechanic found large holes, approximately five inches in diameter, in the frame that held the vehicle together. The dealer confirmed the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The contact was informed that many vehicles were repaired with the similar failure. The dealer refused to repair the vehicle because the service bulletin expired on 3/31/2016. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 109,450.

- Milton, DE, USA

Mar 052016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that when the vehicle was taken to the dealer to be serviced for NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension), the technician stated that the frame of the vehicle was rusted and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 225,000. The VIN was not available.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Apr 152016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V604000 (suspension). The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that there was corrosion around the attachment area of the leaf springs. The technician diagnosed that the subframe needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The subframe was previously sprayed with an anti-corrosion agent under an extended warranty campaign by the manufacturer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 76,000.

- Sterling, MA, USA