2005 Toyota Tacoma engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Tacoma:

2005 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 012015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. While the vehicle was in drive, it accelerated independently without the accelerator pedal being depressed. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V388000 (vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,932.

- St. Paul, MN, USA

Mar 072016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. While driving 5 mph and pulling into a parking space, the vehicle accelerated and the vehicle crashed into a store. When the vehicle accelerated, it burned rubber and left marks at the scene. There were no injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was not yet diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 146,000. Updated 05/18/16

- Crystal Beach, FL, USA

Jun 012010

Tacoma

Short in the button to turn the cruse control on sometimes it works but I have to push it at least 200 times. The second thing is a short in the over head compas/temperature gauge it just does not work any more.

- Lehi, UT, USA

Sep 272015

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start occasionally. The vehicle would lose power and fail to accelerate when depressing the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the wire harness failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 138,000....updated 02/08/16

- Lakewood, FL, USA

Dec 202014

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

I was slowly turning into my driveway when there was a sudden acceleration of the gas pedal. My truck shot like a bullet (about 40-45 feet) into the corner of my house and deck. The force of the impact sheared a 6X6 deck corner post, knocked the garage small entry door completely loose from it's frame, and did extensive damage to a solid brick wall, as well as damage to the inside of garage. Luckily, I did still have my seat belt fastened; however, the air bag did not deploy. I filed a claim with Toyota, they sent an inspector, and now have denied that there was any malfunction. I am 100% sure that the acceleration was not "driver's error" and that there is a safety issue here and Toyota should be held accountable. The body damage to my truck has been repaired, but I will be getting rid of it. The conversations I have had with the people at Toyota's headquarters in torrance, California have certainly been most unpleasant and have left me with a very bad opinion of Toyota as a company. I will never have another of their vehicles! I just hope the next person is as lucky as I was and does not get killed or badly injured when his Toyota Tacoma accelerates for no reason!

- Erwin, TN, USA

Oct 252014

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

My vehicle was parked in the driveway. I started the vehicle and put the gear in drive to move it forward. As soon as I dropped it into drive, the vehicle suddenly accelerated forward with the throttle appearing to be wide open. I had my feet firmly on the brake to keep the vehicle from moving, the back wheels started to slip and "chirp" since the rear end is light. With the accelerator still wide open, I put the gear in neutral and watched as the RPM's shot over 4000. After a few seconds, the accelerator showed no signs of disengaging, so I turned the vehicle off and put the gear in park. This has happened before, so I am always ready in case it happens again. I must constantly drive with one hand on the gear shift, ready to push it into neutral at the first signs of this sudden unintended acceleration. This is the fifth time this has occurred in the past year. Toyota continues to claim there is nothing wrong with the vehicle, that I am accidently hitting the gas pedal myself.

- Concord, NC, USA

Sep 142014

Tacoma 6-cyl

2005 Toyota Tacoma. Consumer writes in regards to an unintended acceleration incident with the vehicle. The consumer stated he was pulling into a parking space, very slowly with his foot on the brake. When he got about 10 feet from the concrete parking block, the vehicle accelerated, and he stomped on the brake. He came to rest against the concrete block, slammed the gear shift into park, at which time the engine raced. He then turned off the engine. The next day, the took the vehicle to the dealer for an inspection. However, there was no onboard record of the incident.

- Apple Valley, CA, USA

Jun 052013

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

In June 2013 I was approaching an interstate entrance ramp. As I slowed down (foot on the brake) to make the right turn onto the ramp, the vehicle suddenly accelerated, causing the rear end to "fish tail" around, jumping the curb on the right side of the ramp and sending the vehicle down the embankment. I was able to get the vehicle to stop before hitting the fence at the bottom of the hill. Since this first incident in June 2013, the vehicle has had three more incidents in June, July and August of 2014. The last incident in August occurred as I was pulling into a parking spot. Again, I was slowing down (foot on the brake) when the vehicle suddenly accelerated causing me to strike the parked vehicle in front of me. The incidents in June and July 2014 were also similar parking lot incidents with no other vehicles around. After the August 2014 incident, I started to "connect the dots" and took the vehicle to the Toyota dealership. However, they found no problem with the vehicle. I find this very strange given all of the known issues Toyota has had with sudden unintended acceleration (sua).

- Concord, NC, USA

Apr 262014

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the engine rpms increased abnormally as the vehicle lunged forward, causing the contact to crash into another vehicle. There were no injuries and a police report was filed, but he was on site. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing or repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 130,000.

- Crystal Beach , FL, USA

Mar 062014

Tacoma

TL- the contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, it lunged forward. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage and VIN was not available.

- Jackson, WY, USA

Feb 052014

Tacoma 6-cyl

I was pulling into a curb parking space when suddenly the engine on my truck accelerated. My foot was already on the brake so I pushed all the way to the floor but I was slowly moving forward anyway. My brakes were smoking from trying to stop my truck. I hit the back of a parked car and pushed it approximately two parking spaces before I thought to turn the engine off.

- Oroville, CA, USA

Feb 012014

Tacoma 6-cyl

I was pulling into the garage; as I began to brake to bring the truck to a halt, the engine raced and the anti-lock brakes started going off as I stood on the brake pedal. The truck probably would have gone through the back of the garage had I not thrown the gear selector into neutral. This is the third time I've had this experience, but it's the first time I had others in it with me and first time I was worried about getting the vehicle stopped before an accident occurred. I'm beginning to wonder if this vehicle is safe to drive down the road. I'm not sure what the appropriate course of action is. The problem only happens once in a while, so it seems like taking it to the dealer wouldn't produce any results.

- West Branch, IA, USA

Dec 302013

Tacoma 6-cyl

Pulled into my driveway to park my 2005 Tacoma and all of a sudden my Tacoma accelerates forward and plunges into the rear end of my 2000 corvette which was parked in my garage, and does $1321.22 in damage. The force from the Tacoma knocked my corvette about 3 feet forward into a freezer in the garage. I was approximately 6 feet behind the corvette, and the corvette was in gear and the emergency brake was applied, when the Tacoma suddenly accelerated forward. I have been parking in same location or 9 years and this has never occurred before. I have had all recalls done concerning the sudden acceleration problem with the Tacoma. This was not a pedal problem, it is a Toyota problem. If his had happened at a intersection who knows what may have happened. Someone needs to "fix" this problem.

- Greer, SC, USA

Nov 042011

Tacoma 6-cyl

2005 Toyota Tacoma. Consumer requests reimbursement for recall repairs on vehicle. The consumer stated his request for reimbursement was denied for the recalls and Toyota never provided him with an explanation. The consumer has since traded the vehicle.

- King George, VA, USA

Jan 232013

Tacoma 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma pre-runner. The contact stated that while completing a three-point-turn, she applied the brakes and the RPM's started increased abnormally. The vehicle then accelerated without warning, causing the contact to crash into a parked vehicle. The contact was not injured. The police were contacted and a report was filed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was contacted and advised her that her vehicle should not have experienced the failure due to NHTSA campaign id number 09V388000 (vehicle speed control) being performed on the vehicle previously. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were approximately 73,469.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 102013

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated after shifting her vehicle in reverse gear, the rpms increased. The contact shut the vehicle off and restarted it three times and it began to function normally; however, within in minutes while driving approximately 35 to 40 mph the accelerator pedal jammed without warning. The contact immediately placed the vehicle into neutral gear after the brakes failed. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer nor an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance. The failure and current mileage was approximately 59,000.

- West Chester, OH, USA

Sep 172012

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated while driving 25 mph, a crash occurred. The contact stated that the floor mat caused the accelerator pedal to get stuck. The driver applied the brake pedal and the vehicle crashed into a tree. The driver and passenger sustained injuries. The vehicle was destroyed and the air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Miermine, KY, USA

Apr 142011

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

Drove about 12 miles from my home to my doctors office, and was attempting to pull into a parking space. I had to back up a few feet to get a better angle to enter the parking space. When shifting from reverse into drive, with my foot on the brake, the pickup suddenly accelerated to its maximum RPM. I hit a car in the parking space next to where I was attempting to park, and with my foot on the brake pushed the car out of the parking lot. I was able to finally get the gear shift into park, and the engine was still at maximum RPM. I turned the ignition switch off and called the police. The police noted that skid marks indicated the brake was applied throughout the event and declared the vehicle unsafe to drive and ordered it impounded. It was hauled to a body shop for about $1700 in bumper replacement cost and then hauled to a nearby Toyota dealer for inspection. They claimed to find nothing wrong. I complained to Toyota and they had an independent inspector to go over the vehicle and they sent me a letter saying that they could find nothing wrong with the accelerator or brakes. Further complaints to Toyota and our insurance company have yielded no results. My neck was injured in the accident and we have asked Toyota to buy the pickup back from us, and so far they have refused.

- Mounds View, MN, USA

Mar 292011

Tacoma

I experienced sudden unintended acceleration in my 2005 Tacoma pickup while parking. I was turning left into a parking spot and applying the brake when the Tacoma suddenly accelerated jumping the parking curve. I stopped the vehicle by applying heavy pressure on the brake pedal and throwing the automatic drive into neutral and then park. I checked to see if I could have been stepping on the accelerator by mistake but the loud rubber screeching of the tires were a sure indication that my brakes were being applied as the car surged forward. Also I inspected the floor mat (which had already been inspected by Toyota) and saw that there was no interference with the accelerator. I immediately brought the car to the dealership but they just referred me to Toyota usa via a phone number. I have called Toyota usa and reported the incidence. I definitely believe there is a defect in this car and this needs to be address. This is dangerous. This is not the first time this has occurred. In 2006 I went to the dealership and asked if there was a recall or service bulletin regarding this problem. They said there was none at that time. I regret not pursuing it further because it appears that Toyota has done little to remedy the situation. Thank you

- Venice, FL, USA

Dec 022010

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that as she shifted into reverse and applied the brakes the vehicle exhibited an abnormal increase in engine rpms. She then shifted into park but the failure did not cease and the vehicle was shut off. The vehicle was inspected by an authorized dealer and they advised her that they were unable to diagnose the vehicle or able to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 78,000.

- Talahasee, FL, USA