2009 Toyota Tacoma engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Tacoma:

2009 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Dec 032009

Tacoma 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Tacoma. The contact attempted to shift gear into neutral and the rpms suddenly increased to 4500. The vehicle is currently being diagnosed by the dealer and there were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 8636. Updated 1/4/10 the consumer stated he had the truck running in park while he retrieved his mail. When he returned to the truck, he put his foot on the brake pedal and proceeded to move the shift lever from park to drive in a downward motion. As soon as the shift lever entered neutral the motor began to race from 4,500 to 5,00 RPM's. there was nothing obstructing the accelerator pedal and the consumer quickly turned off the ignition. Updated 01/06/10. See alos ODI 10325627 and 10367974.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Nov 172009

While shifting my 2009 Toyota Tacoma from park into drive there was a brief sudden acceleration which required me to apply maximum brake pressure to keep the truck from moving forward. This incident occurred in a school parking lot and there were other vehicles in front of me.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Jun 182009

While in cruise at 70mph on interstate highway, vehicle shifts down from drive to second. Thus redlining the engine.brought this to the attention of Toyota and their answer was, "vehicle is operating properly and is doing what it is designed to do". so they are telling me that they have designed a vehicle that is designed to shift down to second, not third at 70mph.

- Manhattan, KS, USA

Nov 032009

On Tuesday, November 3, 2009, I was coming out of a stop light and the throttle went to full open and stuck. (2009 Tacoma - just a year old) I am a conservative driver and do not gun the engine. I was pulling into the intersection gradually and hadn't even let the clutch out all the way yet to shift out of first when the throttle when to full. (thank goodness I have a standard!) I babied the clutch to give me just enough gas to move through the intersection and stop on the other side. I turned off the truck and when I turned it back on, it was fine. The engine smelled awful! I checked the floor mat when I stopped because I know it can cause problems and I had a non-conforming mat, so I keep an eye on it, but the mat wasn't the problem. Also, I never had the accelerator down very far at all when the throttle opened up, so I don't see how the mat could cause the throttle to open full, stick yes, but open full by itself? I drove it the rest of the way to work (less than 2 miles) and the smell blew away and all seemed ok. I had it in the shop today and they could find nothing wrong and told me to remove the mats. Fine, I can do that, but meanwhile it makes me nervous that it could happen again. The service department representative agreed with me that he didn't see how the mats could have caused the problem I did not know about this being a general problem and in the news right now (I don't watch tv and if I miss the npr story or it isn't front page, I may not hear things). When I found out others were having the problem, I thought I should write about mine.

- Sudbury, MA, USA

Nov 022009

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Tacoma. While driving 40 mph the consumer accelerated the vehicle and accelerator pedal became stuck. The vehicle was shifted into neutral, but the engine revved so he shifted it back into drive. Recalling recent news broadcasts he then pulled the floor mat away from the pedals, and then the vehicle returned to a normal state. A technician from the dealer stated that the floor mats were not hooked onto the clips. The floor mats are original equipment all weather mats. The current mileage was 6700. The failure mileage was 6680.

- Wheaton, IL, USA

Nov 022009

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Tacoma doublecab lg bd. While driving 55 mph the vehicle began accelerating without intention. He had to exert great force to remove the floor-mat, because it was stuck under the accelerator pedal. He was able to regain vehicle control. The failure and current mileages were 23,000.

- Whittier , NC, USA

Jul 152009

Tacoma 6-cyl

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 crew pickup truck with auto transmission and V6 engine accelerated unexpectedly to over 80 mph, then later on the same trip it happened again. I was on a long straight stretch of interstate the second time so I allowed the truck to accelerate to approximately 95 mph at which time I stopped the truck again. The first time it happened, I had disengaged the cruise control due to a slower car in front of me and when I engaged the cruise control resume feature the truck accelerated 15 mph past the preset speed at which time I turned off the cruise control and regained control of the truck. The second time that it happened the truck was again in cruise control mode and was going up a long hill. When the cruise control shifted the transmission down and accelerated to maintain set speed the truck continued to accelerate past 95 mph and was only stopped by turning off the cruise control again. I allowed the truck to get to that speed to see if it would discontinue accelerating but chickened out at 95 mph because it is after all a truck. I took the truck to the selling dealer, he tried to make it happen again with no success (told me he would have to replace the cruise control unit but could not do that unless he could duplicate the problem because it is a very expensive change out) and it has not happened but one more time. 4 things seem to be common: 1. the cruise is turned on. 2. the vehicle is accelerating when the problem starts. 3. the transmission has automatically downshifted. 4. the problem is halted by turning off the cruise control. I had the dealer document the problem since he would not fix it. I hope this info helps in your continuing investigation of the problems that Toyota seems to be having. I am not a disgruntled customer, I have purchased a 2010 corolla from the same dealer since the incidents.

- Bloomingdale, GA, USA

Oct 162009

I was on my way to work in my new (3 months old) 2009 Toyota Tacoma. I was about one block from home when I was approaching a red light. As I was braking for the red light and the engine suddenly sped up on it's own. I had to press down very hard on the brakes to stop the car, but wheels were still spinning cause the brakes to smoke. (I could see the smoke in my rear view mirror. I had to put the car in park to completely stop the forward movement of the car. The engine continued to run at very high RPM. I then shut the vehicle off. I started the car again in park, the engine again raced up much higher than normal. I shut the car off again and restarted and every thing was normal. I had the car towed to the Toyota dealer as I felt it was unsafe to drive. Prior it being towed I checked the gas pedal and their were no obstructions around it. The dealer could not find any fault codes or sticking linkage etc. They also took it for a test drive. The service manager suggested I accidentally put my foot on the gas instead of the brake, which I truly believe is not the case here. I saw other reports on the internet similar to this for the Tacoma so I felt compelled to notify you. Kindly request that you look into this matter as someone could eventually get seriously hurt or killed. Note: I was not using cruise control at the time of the incident. See also 10329722

- Huntingdon Valley, PA, USA

Aug 192009

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Tacoma. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle accelerated to 95 mph without intention. He had to shift the vehicle into neutral to decelerate. He then restarted the vehicle and resumed normal operation.the vehicle was taken to a dealer for inspection. A technician speculated that the cause of the failure was either a computerized system reset or a floor mat interference. The vehicle was returned to the dealer. The failure and current mileages were 3,100. The vehicle identification number was unavailable.

- Springfield, MA, USA

May 232009

My husband and I purchase a Toyota Tacoma double cab 4X4 2009, on Friday May 22, 2009, and we are having problems with the transmission and the radio. When we are slowing down to turn on a curve and when we depress the accelerator the transmission downshifts into what appears to be the 1st gear. The engine will race up to a higher rmp as the car suddenly slows down. This is definitely a safety hazard. This possess a possibility of an accident as our vehicle now slows down quickly as we are coming out of the curve, light intersection or entering into an intersection. This has been occurring since we purchased both vehicle. We took it to the dealer to be checked, but cannot see anything wrong with it. They told me they can't do anything to correct the issue.(Toyota of St. Croix, us virgin islands). Radio has been ordered because in both vehicles the radio doesn't work. It shuts off, and in the other one when you accelerate (gas pedal) the volume goes down and sometimes up. What can you do to assist us. Thank you.

- Kingshill, VI, USA

Apr 292009

I was dring 40mph and the throttle/accelerator got stuck as I tried to pass another car. I had to slam on the brakes as I almost crashed against another vheicle. Even then, the truck continued until I slammed on the brakes a second time and shifted the gear into parking in the middle of the street.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Jan 142009

While braking at intersection, truck accelerated striking vehicle in front, causing that vehicle to strike car in front of them. Foot was on the brake.

- Limington, ME, USA