2009 Toyota Tacoma engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Tacoma:

2009 Toyota Tacoma Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Feb 202010

Tacoma

Purchased new Toyota Tacoma trd sport in Aug 2009 with zero miles. All seemed ok, other than a few frustrating cab rattles here and there. However, I also noticed that as my truck neared more miles (7,000 current), I now have to press on the brake pedal a bit harder, yet when I brought this up to the dealer, they stated all was normal and could not replicate. I've had a couple of instances where I've had to press the brake pretty hard to come to a stop or slow down. It seems I need to ride it a little harder than when I first bought my truck. I also want to add, that besides the irritating rattles (door panels/tray holder in center console below the steering wheel - which was replaced, but still make pop sounds here and there, the other smaller rattles - some of which were coming from ill-fit window seals were not really fixed. The dealer replaced the seals and the popping sounds stopped for a day or so then returned. I found the problem is the seals tend to be somewhat improper fit. In other words, they are too large and cause the rubbing. I personally corrected this by removing all door panels only to find out that some of the rattle sounds I had complained about merely had a small piece of felt on the backside, which did not completely cure the problem. I purchased an entire roll of this material myself and coated the inside of each door panel then added a small piece of weather stripping to the inside of door panel edge where it touches the glass window. This helped considerably in reducing air noise and no more rattling. My complaint is still with the brake pedal sometimes, not always, needing to be pushed harder than normal to come to stop or slow down. On other thing I addressed with the dealer was the fact that when I slow down and make turn, not complete stop and go, my engine RPM's don't decelerate quickly enough for the transmission to catch up. Dealer states this is normal operating rpms catching down to shift down of tranny.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Mar 102010

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Tacoma. While the contact was turning into his garage, driving 10 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The contact was able to apply the vehicles brakes to stop the acceleration. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealership and the manufacturer had not been informed of the failure. The current and failure mileages were 6000.

- Glenshaw, PA, USA

Mar 072010

Tacoma

Dealer fails to admit that there is a problem. They could not reproduce the complains in a road test and insist there are no recalls. The vehicle races and is very difficult to stop at times. They adjusted the transmission but the problem is worse now. I have almost gone through a building because I could not stop the vehicle. 4 others have driven the truck and complain of the same difficulty.

- Dover Plains, NY, USA

Mar 042010

Tacoma

My complaint is related to the Toyota recall, the accelerator pedal on my Toyota Tacoma 09 got stuck while driving on the golden state 5 fwy where I miraculously avoided an accident by pulling back the pedal with the tip of my shoe.

- Pacoima, CA, USA

Feb 232010

Tacoma

This is my second complaint concerning my 2009 Toyota Tacoma. The other was a transmission problem, however, this frightening experience was different. I was doing about 65mph on the expressway when I pushed the accelerator. The truck did not accelerate, but instead the engine revved up very high. The RPM's dropped when I took my foot off the accelerator. I was so frightened that I pulled over to the side of the road. I am now afraid to drive my Toyota, but I must drive it to get to work. These malfunctioning Toyota's are so dangerous. The mileage on that date was about 3800.

- Dania Beach, FL, USA

Feb 232010

Tacoma

I received a recall notice from Toyota around September of last year. In this letter they said they would contact me about the accelerator problem with this vehicle. Now I am hearing about people with the accelerators sticking in the wide open position and other problems, so I don't know if I even want to drive this truck anymore. Should I park this truck until I hear from them? this is crazy.

- Johnson City, TN, USA

Feb 252010

Tacoma

I experienced a case of uncontrollable acceleration in my 2009 Toyota Tacoma. It occurred on Feb 25, 2010. I started my vehicle in my garage normally. My foot is on the brake. I let it idle for a short while until the idle rate went under 1500 rpms. I shifted it into reverse and the idle speed went under 1000 rpms. Foot is still on the brake. I let it back out of the garage onto the driveway and then onto the street turning the wheel partially to align myself into the street to begin to drive away. Foot is still on the brake when I shifted into drive. As soon as I shifted into drive it accelerated uncontrollably. My foot is still on the brake, but I realize that the brake will not stop it. I had to make a quick turn to avoid running onto the curb/mailbox and then I quickly shifted it into neutral to bring it to a stop. It came to a stop and I look down at the transmission and I actually shifted it through neutral into reverse. But, it at least was stopped. I contacted my local Toyota dealer in ames, ia and they said to bring it in and they would take a look at it. I took it in on Mar 4, 2010. They said they ran all sorts of diagnostics on it and it checked out fine. They said they contacted Toyota and opened up a case number and would let me know when they knew something more. My vehicle was on the floor mat recall, but the same dealer looked at it last year and said the floor mat was fine. It was not on the foot pedal recall. I believe this is an electronic problem that Toyota is trying to hide with these other recalls. I have no confidence that this problem will not occur again and believe Toyota needs to address this asap.

- Marshalltown, IA, USA

Feb 102009

Tacoma

My 2009 Tacoma when slowing or going around a corner, primarily a right turn fails to accelerate when the pedal is pressed and the engine races momentarily, then engages. I have had it in to the dealer on more than one occasion only to be told that the problem is the "drive by wire" which is electronic, how can Toyota say that there is nothing wrong with the electronics when they blame the reverse problem on electronics?

- Clackamas, OR, USA

Feb 182010

Tacoma 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Tacoma. He purchased the vehicle on April 20, 2010. While driving the vehicle home on the date it was purchased while he approached a stop sign with his foot on the brake. The vehicle accelerated as he kept his foot on the brake until the vehicle slowed down. He took the vehicle to the dealer and he asked if the brake pedal was too close to the gas pedal. The dealer stated that nothing was wrong with the vehicle. On February 18, 2010 he took the vehicle back to the dealer for inspection and the dealer stated for the second time that nothing was wrong with the vehicle. Immediately after he left the dealer, he drove into a shopping center parking lot and the vehicle suddenly accelerated over a curb and collided into an empty store window. The saint george police department incident number is 10P004639 and the accident number was 239-10. The vehicle was replaced after the crash occurred. The failure mileage was 328 and the current mileage was 4,960. Updated 3/30/2010 updated 00/07/10

- St George , UT, USA

Aug 152009

Tacoma

As the vehicle is coming to a stop and I am putting on the brake, the engine revs up uncontrollably. My foot is pressed hard on the brake, and is nowhere near the accelerator. The only way I can stop it is to quickly put it into neutral. I keep it in neutral and keep pressing my left foot hard on the brake. After it revs up to about 6000 RPM, it finally goes back to idle. This has happened on four different occasions in the last five months. The first incident occurred within a couple weeks after I purchased my brand new vehicle. I have taken this vehicle into the Toyota service center twice for this problem. They didn't know how to fix it since they say it has to be doing it when they look at it. They have documented it in their files and confirmed that the unexplained acceleration is not caused by a floor mat defect.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Jul 152009

Tacoma 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Tacoma. While driving 70 mph on a hill with the cruise control activated, the vehicle changed gears and the rpms increased rapidly. The failure has occurred approximately 20 times. The dealer was contacted, test drove the vehicle and duplicated the failure; yet, they said that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 6000 and the current mileage was 17311. Updated 03/19/2010. The consumer stated the transmission down shifted into second gear. Updated 07/19/10

- Pickins, SC, USA

Feb 042010

Tacoma

I have a 2009 Toyota Tacoma. I have had 3 instances where the truck would hunch up at a stop light like someone was pressing on the gas pedal as I was on the brake pedal. In the last case the truck was being driven out of a church parking lot at a low speed and the vehicle took off and lost control and hit a car. I personally inspected the floormat entrapment the floormat was not even close to the pedal. I have been a technician for 25 yrs and believe it is in the controller. I contacted Toyota and they want to send someone out to inspect it. It has not been repaired for all damage yet. Luckily no one was hurt. This vehicle only has 4,825 miles on it.

- Southbend, IN, USA

Jul 142009

Tacoma

Accelerator sticks when I let off the gas pedal. Pedal does not stay physically depressed, it just doesn't slow down. If I push in clutch, engine races and RPM stays high. Dealer told me this was engineered into the vehicle to "assist with shifting".

- Bozeman, MT, USA

Feb 142010

Tacoma

Truck surges forward after backing up and then driving forward or turning wheel from stopped position and then driving forward (I.e. after filling up with gas).

- Tallmadge, OH, USA

Feb 242009

Tacoma

2009 Toyota Tacoma accelerator police report on file with sioux city Iowa police dept. I rearended a minivan at an intersection where she was stopped for a red light due to the vehicle lunging and failing to stop despite me standing on the breaks.....Toyota dealerships are not fixing the pedal as recall is ordering since they say it is not on the recall list. We have had this vehicle for 1 year on a 3 yr lease. My husband drives it as I feel unsafe in it and it has "acted up" for him on several occasions. We are getting no assistance from Toyota in fixing this defect or letting us out of the lease. In order for us to "trade" it for a Ford F150 we have to eat $4000 of negative equity... I strongly feel that we are putting our lives in danger by driving this vehicle but have no choice since we both have a 30 mile commute in opposite directions. Its not like we have other vehicles to drive instead. According to your website, it has a recall, but when billion Toyota in sioux falls sd runs the VIN they claim it has no recall. We need your help!

- Jefferson, SD, USA

Dec 202009

Tacoma

We were going to park the Toyota Tacoma truck in our garage and it all of a sudden accelerated, increasing the speed which caused us to hit a tree and the neighbors cement wall.

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Jan 082010

Tacoma

While attempting to come to a stop on a highway exit ramp, when I applied firm pressure to the brake about half way down the ramp, the engine accelerated unexpectedly and the rear wheels on my truck began to spin and slip. Although the truck was slowing down it could not come to a complete stop and struck a stopped vehicle at the end of the ramp at slow speed. With extreme pressure on the brake the truck remained stopped but the rear wheels continued to spin at a high rate. I shifted to neutral and turned off the ignition key. The truck is an automatic and was in 2 wheel drive and the auto speed control was not on. I checked the floor mats because I had previously received a safety recall interim notice and had previously made sure the mats were correctly installed. The all weather floor mat was correctly installed and secured to the 2 floor hooks, and was not on the accelerator pedal. When the ignition was turned back on the truck operated normally and has continued to do so, now about 2 weeks.

- Douglas, MA, USA

Jan 042010

Tacoma

Pulling into a parking space at hy-vee grocery store in mount pleasant, ia at a low rate of speed(<5mph) my 09' Toyota Tacoma accelerated into a grocery cart stall. I had applied the brakes with no results and after a one second lull the truck accelerated quickly into the movable obstruction. I have had previous concerns about the rate of acceleration by the amount of pressure applied to the acceleratior. There have been times where light pressure accelerates the car at a faster rate and times where heavier pressure doesn't get enough response in acceleration. Floormats are secured down and no issues have been found by the dealership I had purchased it from.

- Ames, IA, USA

Oct 222008

Tacoma

I notice the brake pedal goes all the way down before the brake feels that is applied. I've taken back to dealership and they found nothing in error. I disagree. I've had several other people drive my car-with the same concern. Brakes don't grab. My brother who is ups head mechanic said the same, a fault with the brake pedal. Shouldn't have to go to the floor before the braking system is applied. Just want you to know there's a problem there. I'm aware of it so I drive with caution. But this needs to be address. Thanks, patti kay. I took back to dealership Oct.22 2008 and they said the cause was from the floor mat---it doesn't matter how many floor mats you have it's in the pedal. Either needs adjusted or new pedal system put in.

- Kingston, NJ, USA

Dec 162009

Tacoma

Five months old 2009 Toyota Tacoma prerunner, V6 5-speed automatic transmission. Had made short trip from home and was returning. Proceeding down slight grade about three blocks from home manually downshifted from drive to 4th. Seeing red signal several blocks ahead downshifted again to 3rd, then 2nd, slowing enough so as to have green light at intersection. Made braking right turn at intersection, aware from experience that I would now have red light at next intersection and would have to stop. Again slight downgrade after making turn. Truck required more than normal braking to slow properly after turn, finally used both feet to apply maximum brake pressure. Truck stopped, but after stopping engine surged repeatedly, causing rear wheels to intermittently spin uncontrollably on damp pavement. Only front wheel brakes were holding truck from crashing into another vehicle. Managed to shift into park and shut off engine. When restarted, operation was normal. Floor mats not involved! engine was repeatedly surging and returning to normal RPM. Both feet were on brake pedal and not on accelerator. Odometer: 3850. Conditions: Night, headlights on, heater blower on, A/C off, radio off. Due to shortness of trip engine was most likely not fully warmed up to normal operating temperature. After arriving home took truck out for another short trip over same route. Unable to replicate situation. As retired electronics technician understand how difficult this type of intermittent issue is for Toyota to replicate or confirm, but it is happening, and it is a major safety issue, NHTSA. And it is a lot more than "floor mats". floor mats might occasionally catch an accelerator pedal, but they don't make an engine repeatedly surge. Been driving 50 years... know it when I see it.

- San Francisco, CA, USA