2002 Toyota Tundra body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Tundra:

2002 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 292015

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. While the vehicle was being serviced for an unrelated issue, the contact was informed that the frame was rusted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 09V444000 (structure). The contact mentioned that the dealer sprayed corrosion protection instead of replacing the frame. The contact felt that the recall remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The failure mileage was 199,000.

- Beyfield, MA, USA

Jan 022012

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that the vehicle frame developed holes due to corrosion. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician repaired the sealant for the frame; however, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 129,000.

- Ipswich, MA, USA

Dec 062011

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

The rear frame and cross members are so rusty that it is causing the bed to rust from the frame up. Everywhere the bed attaches to the frame it has rusted through. Eventually the rust will be so bad that the rust around the bolt holes will no longer keep the bed attached to the frame. This is definitely a safety issue and Toyota tells me that no recall has been issued for the beds of the rusty trucks.

- Aurora, IN, USA

Sep 172011

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

Frame recall 90M and A0F I am getting different stories from Toyota dealers and from Toyota corporate about the number of years Toyota is willing to inspect the frame and cross member and cover the cost of repair.

- Morrisonville, NY, USA

Dec 142010

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that the rear end housing was leaking which caused the transmission to malfunction. The vehicle was taken to a local repair shop where gear oil was added to the transmission, but the failure continued. The contact stated that the entire frame needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The contact called the manufacturer who offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 53,900.

- Oakham, MA, USA

Nov 052010

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

2002 Toyota Tundra recalled for frame rust issues. Took nearly 5 months for repairs, even with multiple calls to dealer and corporate. Vehicle needed further repairs when returned for broken right front stabilizer bar. Then failed sticker inspection because of dry rot in tires presumably from sitting so long? 1) NHTSA needs to set a reasonable time frame for vehicles to be repaired once recalled. Five months is unacceptable. (2) NHTSA should review whether commingled old rusty 're-usable' parts with a new solid frame isn't in fact creating another issue causing the older parts to fail (there are many reports by bloggers of other things breaking or needing repair post the frame replacement. I personally feel less safe post recall than before (3) NHTSA should be doing post recall follow ups to ensure that Toyota is properly repairing recalled vehicles, especially Toyota's given their recent history. There are reports out there that things like tow hitches are not being replaced because they were 'after market' and in my case, the side steps were simply thrown in the back of the truck because they were too rusty to re-install. They also did not replace front and rear shocks and struts which have to have been compromised by the other rust issue? and (4) Toyota has some severe customer service issues that it needs to address.

- Randolph, MA, USA

Aug 312010

I noticed a leak in the differential of my 2002 Toyota Tundra. An independent mechanic verified my observation that the differential was rusted through. I contacted two Toyota dealers. Only one was responsive with the information that Toyota isn't going to pay for the repair. A search online reveals that my situation is not an isolated incident. I am stunned that no government Agency involved in safety and consumer protection is on this. The truck has about 80000 miles on it. The body is excellent. The frame is fair and of course the differential/rear axle housing is dust. The vehicle is a potential road hazard and to protect CEO salaries possibly, there is a lack of government and corporate action--if there is any separation there. As evidenced by my situation and those of many others.

- Ashley Falls, MA, USA

Jul 152009

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra.the contact stated that the cross members supporting rail of the truck bed were rusted. The dealer advised the contact to bring the vehicle in for diagnosis. The vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 92,000.

- Ralston, NE, USA

Jun 092010

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated the rear axle housing was rotted through and caused an unknown failure. The dealer advised replacing the rear axle housing and all gears at the contact's expense. The manufacturer would not provide any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 98,000.

- Vernon Center, NY, USA

May 022010

Brought my 2002 Toyota Tundra to a dealer for the safety recall that I received. I was informed that the frame was ok, and the rear cross-member was ok too. Well, I received a call that the dealer had the part for me! I didn't order the part or did they tell me that the spare tire hanger was defective. It is part of the rear cross member assembly, and should be part of the re-call. They want me to pay for the part & labor to put it in, and the told me that it is not covered by the re-call. No offer was made by the dealer...

- Pembroke, MA, USA

Mar 252010

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. The contact received a recall notice for 09V444000 (structure: Frame and members: Underbody shields). The dealer advised that the vehicle did not exhibit signs of rust and did not make repairs. The manufacturer advised the contact that he should have the repairs performed on the vehicle. The failure mileage was 98,190 and the current mileage was not available.

- East Bridgewater, MA, USA

May 042010

Tundra 4WD

Severe corrosion of vehicle frame and frame cross members, front end parts, and attachment hangers to frame of 2002 Toyota Tundra which will result in eventually weakening and failure of the above mentioned items causing a possible accident, injuries and possibly death.

- Scott Township, PA, USA

Apr 152010

The steering rack on my 2002 Toyota Tundra rusted out, burst and caused a power steering failure while driving. This is a permanent failure and the Toyota dealership advised not to drive the vehicle. Nothing was offered to fix it without a $1400 repair bill.

- Camden, ME, USA

Mar 222010

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra she stated that there is corrosion on the entire frame of the vehicle. The contact received NHTSA recall # 09V444000 recall notice; structure frame and members, underbody shields and notified the dealer. The dealer stated that the vehicle would not be repaired due to the cross member being corroded through out the entire frame. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 200,000.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Mar 202010

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

The frame on my 2002 Toyota Tundra is rusting away. I have removed rust pieces as large as 11 inches long and 1'8 inch thick. I tow a 7000 pound trailer and I fear the frame will fail. The body looks new and I have only 80,000 miles on the truck.

- East Berne, NY, USA

Mar 172010

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

My 2002 Tundra recall on the frame. Passed rear cross member inspection, however the rest of the under body is severally corroded. Dealership is telling me that the truck needs about $4500 to pass inspection? the front end is rusted out. As of now, my truck is still at dealership, waiting for Toyota rep to inspect my Tundra. I feel that im getting the bad end of this recall. I need help.

- Holden, MA, USA

Nov 182009

The spare wheel/tire fell off my 2002 Toyota Tundra as I passed over a speed bump (at a very low speed) whilst leaving an apartment complex. I was unaware of having lost the wheel but my son, who lives in the complex, saw the incident & called me - by the time he called I was on the highway driving at high speed - if the wheel had fallen off whilst I was on the highway the consequences could have been catastrophic. I submitted a report (case # 208366) to NHTSA 11/25/09 after going on line & discovering that corrosion was an issue with the frame of this vehicle & that other incidents of a similar nature had been reported & that Toyota were preparing a remedy. On 01/10/10 I contacted my local Toyota sealer & was advised to bring in the vehicle at my convenience when the spare wheel would be safely secured within the truck bed pending a permanent fix for the problem.

- Rehoboth, MA, USA

Feb 032010

My 2002 Toyota Tundra truck is not drivable at this time. The truck was brought to Toyota dealership after a local mechanic found fluid leaking from rear differential due to rust/rot. During the dealers inspection, they also noted a gas smell and suspect that the gas tank or gas lines are leaking also. The dealer did a frame inspection and while the whole frame is excessively rusted, the frame passed the recall test because it had not been perforated yet. The dealer did not want to even remove the differential plug because the whole unit was so rusty. I have been under the truck and personally seen the excessive rust on the frame, fuel system, and suspension components. Amazingly, the body panels have little or no rust and in very good condition. During previous dealer visits we were verbally told that the rust was normal. The repair estimate for gas tank/lines and new differential housing, etc. Was approximately $7000. I purchased this truck new and have always done all required maintenance and was planning on having the truck for a long time. It currently has 89,101 miles on it. The excessive rust is not normal and I feel that the frame and some associated components are defective. I feel that due to the nature of these defects that the vehicle is unsafe to drive and I'm guessing that it would be difficult to sell and if I did, it would be at a greatly reduced value. I purchased a Toyota truck because of their reputation for building long lasting, high quality vehicles. I feel that in light of these defects that they misrepresented their product.

- Little Compton, RI, USA

Jan 222010

Considerable rust on frame of 2002 Tundra SR5 4X4. The frame actually has holes caused by rust on one of the main support structures on the driver side.

- Elkton, MD, USA

Dec 172009

Excessive frame rust and safety issue around steering rack mounting and corrosion to steering rack itself.

- Cumberland, RI, USA