1.4

2002 Toyota Tundra drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Tundra:

2002 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Oct 122016

Tundra

Rear axle seals have failed four times in the past five years. When they fail, the rear brakes become coated with oil, significantly increasing stopping distance.

- Valley City, OH, USA

Mar 232016

Tundra

Frequently from a park position and then shifting and turning seems to lack responsiveness.

- Calgary, AK, USA

Dec 182014

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

When attempting to shift from park to reverse with the engine running and the brake applied, unexpectedly the column automatic transmission shifter completely broke loose from the steering column. The column bracket and housing were both found to be fractured, with the bracket separated from the housing. This rendered the vehicle inoperable.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Nov 192014

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle has "growling" noise coming from front differential. Noise is also associated with vibration in steering and affects stopping and acceleration as faulty parts bind in gearing. This faulty equipment has occasionally locked one wheel while turning, forcing vehicle weight to one side. In wet road conditions vehicle has slid while cornering. Manufacturer is aware of this issue, as several owners report the same issue. Differential is replaced as a last resort by the manufacturer and only covers this faulty part(s) under the factory warranty.

- Elkridge, MD, USA

Jul 132014

Tundra 8-cyl

When attempting to put the truck in gear to leave a gas station the entire shifter mechanism broke off at the mount within the steering column. After 1 google search it shows this is very common with my Tundra truck (many postings and complaints-issues). I was in a pickle to move my vehicle and was not safe in doing so.

- Alameda, CA, USA

Nov 142013

Tundra

I noticed a pool of oil under my rear axle. I inspected it and saw that the welds were failing due to excessive rust. I had the frame and brake lines replaced under the recall and this is clearly related to the rust problems (I had the power steering rack replace last month due to rust) but Toyota won't fix it until there is a recall. I had it repaired (the whole axel replaced) at a local garage for approx. $2,340. With the power steering rack repair that comes to ~ $3,300 in less than 2 months. The garage said they see these problems all the time on the Tundra with the frame recall.

- Walpole, ME, USA

Nov 082008

Tundra

The rear transaxle hub does not have a bolt on cover, but is welded solid to the axle casting. I noticed oil on the ground and investigation reveals the hub cover has rusted thru, allowing oil to run out. If all of the oil had drained out and the vehicle driven, the axle could have seized up, causing a serious vehicle crash and personal injury or death.Toyota was notified via local dealership, and they denied any coverage. Between the environmental impact and the safety issue, and the fact it is not repairable, makes me want to complain. The leak was temporarily plugged with epoxy, but has recently failed again. November 23,2013.checking various internet web pages, this apparently is a common problem across all Toyota trucks and most year models, not just Tundra.with the frame rust thru and cross member rust thru recall, all of these recall areas are within inches of my rust thru / perforation of even thinner sheet metal in a critical location. Please review.

- Woolwich, ME, USA

Jun 102012

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle was parked with parking brake on. I started the vehicle and attempted to put the truck in drive. The shift lever went limp and no longer changed the drive selector. I managed to get it into drive and got it home and parked it. I have not called the dealer yet.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Apr 102012

Tundra 8-cyl

I am the owner of two Toyota vehicles. Vehicle one is a 1992 Toyota pickup extended cab 4X4 3.0 V6 with 220,000 miles on it I bought it with 124,000 miles on it. Vehicle two is a 2002 Toyota Tundra SR5 4.7 V8 with 47,000 miles I bought it with 39,000 miles on it with only one previous owner. The new frame is installed on the truck but I have noticed now that my rear axle housing is completely rotted and rusted out and leaking all over the place. The structure of this is not safe and I travel an average 6,000 miles a month for work. My 1992 Toyota truck with 219,000 miles rear axle is in better shape than the 2002 Toyota. I have spoke with Toyota directly and they refuse to do anything about the situation. There should be a law suit against Toyota for not replacing these rear axles because the same metal was obviously used on the frame that was replaced. I have now seen many of the same trucks around my town with the same problem and have read many complaints on the internet about this recurring situation. It is in Toyota's best interest to take care of the problem before there is a class action against them.

- Saranac Lake, NY, USA

Oct 232011

Tundra

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that while attempting to shift gears from park to drive, the housing broke away from the shift lever. As a result, he shifter became stuck in reverse. The contact mentioned that he was able to maintain control of the vehicle by engaging the brakes. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the gear box housing had a stretch fracture and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 137,000.

- Lowell, MA, USA

Oct 062011

Tundra 8-cyl

I have a 2002 Tundra SR5 with ~65K miles. This morning when I try to pull on the drive gear shift handle to move from park to reverse. The shift handle snapped off unexpected - broke. Toyota dealer wants to charge ~$600 to remove and replace with a use steering column (if the use can be found), as the new steering column will cost over $1K. I believe this is appear to be a flawed design for attach the shift lever. The shift lever handle should be out live the Tundra with only ~65K miles. I need help to get Toyota to cover this design defect as this could result safety and costly.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Aug 132010

Tundra

I own a 2002 Toyota Tundra and I have had approximately five occasions where I heard a clunk while driving the Toyota Tundra as if the transmission was slipping during the month of July 2010. On August 13, 2010, I was driving approximately 75 mph when I had driven the Tundra approximately 200 miles, I pulled off of the highway to refill with gasoline and as I slowed down to the pump, the Tundra began to excessively shake and stalled. I then started the vehicle up which started well and I cut it off to refill with gasoline. Once I began to take off, the Tundra began to shake again and stalled, not more than 1/10th of a mile from the pump. I started the vehicle again and when I put the Tundra in gear, the Tundra continuously stalled no matter whether in drive, neutral or reverse. Every time I started the vehicle and put it in a gear, it would stall. The vehicle was towed to my residence which was approximately 100 miles. My failure mileage was approximately 89,000 miles.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 222009

Tundra

Upper ball joints, rear springs, brakes front & back, and manual transmission, and O2 sensors too! this is what I have been repairing and was not aware of all of the recalls on my truck! so far I have just repairing it until today, after hearing about the newest recall! I will be calling my dealer Monday....

- Intervale, NH, USA

Sep 112009

Tundra

Parts failure due to excessive rust...power steering rack and coupling assy. Rear axle housing failure due to excessive rust. Power steering lines rusted out.2002 Tundra trd...total repair cost $3900 over 1 year period. ---last repair 11 Sep 2009...al paper work on file at nassief Ford & Toyota jefferson, oh 44047--ph 4405761010.

- Austinburg, OH, USA