CarComplaints.com Notes: A dependable pickup option that does have a slight history of frame corrosion. Even though mud looks cool on a truck, it's best if you run this through the car wash every now and again.

2003 Toyota Tundra seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Tundra:

2003 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Oct 172014

Tundra

On October 17, 2014 while driving on okla hwy 33 at or about 55 miles per hour, the driver side and the passenger side air bags deployed. The deployment set off the horn and immediately the cabin filled with a fog like residue which in itself can be very startling. The air bag slapped both forearms but luckily I was back far enough it did not reach my face and there was no passenger present. The only physical damage was temporary redness of the forearms and a chronic cough developed later the next day requiring a doctor visit on the 20th of Oct. The vehicle has been in the jim norton Toyota dealership in okla. City since the 18th of Oct. With no determination from gst or tms legal to date.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jul 162010

Tundra 8-cyl

Traveling on hwy 11. 4 cars ahead suddenly stop. I had 3 choices: Hit the car in front of me. Go into on coming traffic, or head off the side of the road into the bayou. Missed the opportunity of the bayou, hit a parked semi tractor trailer. Nothing happened to the tractor trailor. My Toyota got severely crunched on the right passenger side. My air bags never went off. I was going 30 miles per hour, and nothing deployed. Now I understand it is a good thing the airbags didn't go off.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Oct 312014

Tundra 8-cyl

No incident has yet happened. We immediately tried to get the airbag corrected after receiving written notice of the recall. We are a military family and we are moving from Hawaii to Virginia on November 19th. We already sold our second car in preparation for the move a few weeks ago so the truck is the only vehicle we have for our family of 5 until we ship it on November 17th. We called the local dealer twice and the national Toyota number once and have been told parts to fix this problem will not be available for at least 6 weeks. We are having the airbag disabled by the dealer on the 12th. We were told not to have anyone ride in the passenger seat (even after they disable the airbag) but since our family has 5 people and there are 5 seats in our only vehicle, we will have to put someone there at some point. We were not offered a rental car to mitigate the risk nor any other feasible solution.

- Kailua, HI, USA

May 122014

Tundra

We have received two safety notices about the recall of our vehicle for front passenger airbag inflator module. The safety notices are not dated, however it has been at least 4 months since receiving. When taking the vehicle to the authorized dealer, we were told they do nothave the parts to repair per recall notice. We were told at that time, we would have to wait for a third notice. What a waste of money to continue to send out recall notices and not be able to complete the work required, let alone the safety factor. The problem has been identified, owners notified and 6 months later, here we sit.

- Anacortes, WA, USA

Aug 182014

Tundra 8-cyl

I received a safety recall notice from Toyota, for my vehicle, due to a problem with the front passenger airbag inflator module. I called my local dealership to schedule an appointment for repair and was told they were not authorized by Toyota to make the repair at this time. I called the Toyota customer experience center at 1-888-270-9371 to ask about the recall. I was told the remedy notice was sent to me by mistake and that only certain states were included, for a no charge remedy, due to limited parts available. My complaint is that all states are not currently repairing this safety issue. The recall notice says "there is a risk of serious injury.

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Oct 282013

Tundra 6-cyl

My wife and I were traveling North on hwy 49 from oakhurst to mariposa, California. The highway surface was wet and slick as we had just experienced our first rain of the season. Our Toyota Tundra truck went into a skid on a curve, climbed an embankment and rolled one full turn to the left. We hit a manzanita tree and a fence before coming to a stop and rolling. The airbags were examined by Toyota 9-24-2013 in response to a recall and were cleared. In the accident they did not deploy. My wife and I experienced numerous injuries including broken ribs, collarbone and severe whiplash. We are senior citizens and are still recovering from these injuries and dealing with our insurance company. We wrote to Toyota 5-21-2014 to report this airbag failure. To date we have received no response.

- Mariposa, CA, USA

Mar 242014

Tundra 8-cyl

2003 Toyota Tundra. Consumer writes in regards to air bag recall issues. The consumer stated about an hour after picking up the vehicle, he started the engine and noticed the air bag light was on. According to the recall notice, the air bag issue was the target of the recall. The consumer returned to the service area, and the technician put a computer device on the vehicle and the light went out. The consumer left the dealer and about half way home, the air bag light illuminated again. The consumer did not believe the issue was resolved.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Nov 042013

Tundra

2003 Toyota Tundra. Consumer writes in regards to a pending recall notice stating a defective wafer possibility in air bag deployment. The consumer stated the recall was never addressed. However, he was giving a list of suggested repairs. The dealer informed the consumer, they had some type of computer issues, and they were not able to perform the work.

- Kennewick, WA, USA

Jul 112013

Tundra 8-cyl

Took my truck to dealer on 7/11/2013 for air bag light on. Dealer said light related to preliminary recall. Dealer kept my truck for over 30 days until Toyota decided what to do. Finally I picked up my truck on 8/12/2013 air bag light was off. Dealer indicated the airbag is ok notes from dealer: Dif- safety recall dof (dif) preliminary notice 2003-2004 model year Tundra vehicles front passenger air bag inflater module inspection. Dtc B1100 air bag senso R assembly B0108 short in squib circuit. Dsm oked rental car. ~|~dof applies rental provided w hen truck was in the shop. ~|~auth # D899B040 does not need any further attention light reset reset system the air bag light back on 9/9/2013 so I took truck back to dealer. Dealer advised the light is not related to recall and is not under warranty. They could not say what was wrong and wanted me to pay for additional diagnosis. They could not say how long it would take or what could be wrong but were insistent that is was not related to safety recall. Now I am without an airbag and they won't fix it. This does not make sense!!! how could it not be related to the recall?

- Englewood, FL, USA

Apr 012004

Tundra 8-cyl

I am driving without airbag safety because Toyota dealership did not correct problem they quoted me $85 to check it out and around $1000 to fix. On 09/03/2013, I took my vehicle to Toyota dealership for urgent safety recall to correct airbag defect. I mentioned the airbag light again. I was advised the airbag recall will correct my problem and the light will go away. I picked up my vehicle and noticed my airbag light was still on. Toyota advised me that the trouble is the center airbag module. I asked them if the airbags will engage on impact. Toyota said the airbags will not deploy with this light on. Why did I waste my time taking my vehicle to Toyota to correct an airbag defect and to leave with an airbag defect? Toyota should have corrected this issue a long time ago when this was under warranty.

- Youngstown, FL, USA

Jan 252013

Tundra 6-cyl

Airbag light came on. Brought to dealer. Dealer found two codes tripped, B0108 and B1100. Dealer reset codes and codes did not return. After owner drove vehicle for 5 miles and upon restart, the airbag light came back on. Brought vehicle back to the dealer who found that the same codes had tripped. Corrected by dealer by replacing the passenger airbag on/off switch and airbag ECU. Parts were $599.51 and labor was $374.50. Background: The passenger airbag switch was never used (turned off) by owner (original owner). Owner (an engineer) suspects that a short originated in the switch assembly or associated harness which damaged the ECU. Owner did not abuse the vehicle and drove mostly on the highway. First vehicle that owner has ever had an airbag issue.

- League City, TX, USA

Sep 102012

Tundra 6-cyl

2003 Toyota Tundra. Consumer states problem with vehicle air bags the consumer stated in September, the air bag light started blinking. He took the vehicle to the dealer, where they supposedly fixed the problem at a cost of $ $177.12. However, that same evening, the light started blinking again. He took the vehicle back to the dealer the next morning. The dealer stated the problem was with the wiring harness and the cost to repair it, would be anywhere from $ 2,506.00- $ $3,177.76 plus $ 975 for labor.

- Macon, GA, USA

Feb 252012

Tundra

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tundra. The contact was driving 35 mph when the vehicle crashed into two trees and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained head injuries as a result of the crash. The police were contacted and a police report was filed. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic and the manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileages were 155,000.

- Fairless Hills, PA, USA

Jul 092009

Tundra

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tundra. While driving approximately 10 mph on a gravel road surface, the driver swerved to the left to avoid an obstacle in the road. Suddenly, the vehicle rolled down the steep incline into a ditch. The vehicle landed on the passenger side. The air bags failed to deploy and the driver sustained injuries to the arm and neck. The vehicle was completely destroyed and was towed to a body shop. The insurance company was notified of the failure. The contact has pictures of the vehicle. The VIN was unable to be entered into the system. The failure and current mileages were 117,000.

- Hiilsboro, OR, USA

Nov 222004

Tundra 8-cyl

I was in a major car accident that involved both of my bumpers, the front bumper was completely removed. I was hit from behind at a faster speed than I was going and I was pushed into the truck in front of me (another Tundra only a 2004). I had over $8,000 in damage and I suffer from cervical/neck/spine injury and sprained right foot. I am in physical therapy and need an mri, as I am not healing as I should be. My problem here is that my air bags never deployed. I am now worried that there is something wrong with them, the impact I had and injury to my body, should have deployed them.

- San Francisco, CA, USA