Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: A dependable pickup option that does have a slight history of frame corrosion. Even though mud looks cool on a truck, it's best if you run this through the car wash every now and again.

2003 Toyota Tundra suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Tundra:

2003 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Apr 042016

In June of 2012 I took my Tundra to have the frame campaign performed, in January of 2013 I contacted Toyota stating the frame / corrosion recall was not performed properly and I felt the frame needed to be replaced as there was a lot of rust. They contacted the dealer I took it back and they reinspected the frame and I was told it was no rust found. A few months after this I would be driving and I would hit a bump and end up in the next lane. I took it to work and put the vehicle on a lift and found the steering rack mount cracked at the frame. I welded it back together. About a month ago the same thing the frame where the rack mounts cracked in another spot so this time I need to take L angle steel and weld in place. On 3/4/ 2016 I decided I was going to go back and undercoat my frame correctly. At this time I have found holes in my frame exactly where the points of the frame that the recall falls under. Toyota has stated they are not going to offer any assistance

- Dundalk, MD, USA

Oct 152015

Bad frame rust bad suspension rust bad differential rust bad spare tire rust.if rust condition gets worse the possibility of suspension failure is very real.some of these models need to be recalled or bought back before there is injury or death.

- Kalona, IA, USA

Jul 092015

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tundra. While the vehicle was being repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 09V444000 (structure), the technician discovered that there was corrosion on the rear cross member. The vehicle was repaired; however, the remedy failed to repair the failure. While driving at approximately 45 mph, the vehicle started to shake and the rear driver side tire detached. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Morgan Town, WV, USA

Aug 062015

I took my 2003 Tundra to a transmission repair shop, independent, to have the rear differential evaluated due to crunching sound which occurred when taking off from a stop and leaking of fluid due to corrosion on housing. The shop called me that day two hours later and informed me that my frame was completely rusted out near the front of the vehicle on both sides making it unsafe to drive and not worth proceeding in any repairs of the rear differential at this point. They contacted the nearest dealership which told them that the frame perforation recall, NHTSA # 09V444 had expired 7/31/2015 six days prior. I was instructed to call Toyota, which I did. The lady informed me that the recall was still ongoing. I took the Tundra to that same dealership for them to inspect the frame. The next day they call me and inform me that I need to contact Toyota again myself. This is a Toyota garage telling me this. Tonight I get on Toyota's website and find two recalls in regards to the frame perforation. According to the toy website both status' of recalls offer remedies available and this site is updated 8/7/2015. I can see that my nearest dealer isn't going to be very helpful. My truck has 112,000. I'm the 2nd owner and have been diligent with maintenance. I do no off roading and use if to Transport my motorcycle to races hundreds of miles from home.

- Lumberport, WV, USA

Jul 122015

Frame recalled, Toyota replaced tire carrier, sprayed frame. But the cross member and everything attached to it has rusted completely through. Making truck unsafe to drive. I have a 1991 Ford F-150 with more frame integrity.

- Westwood, MA, USA

May 142010

Tundra 8-cyl

On May 14 2010 I took my 2003 Toyota Tundra in for a recall regarding "excessive corrosion of the rear cross member". reference: NHTSA campaign number 09V444000, November 18, 2009 & Toyota safety recall no. Ssc9090M. My truck was inspected and subsequently was sprayed with corrosion protection compound. However, the spare tire mounting bracket was not sprayed nor was the differential with the required corrosion protection compound. Reference NHTSA campaign number 09V444000 which states "dealers will inspect the rear cross member and related components, including the brake lines and replace them if necessary" or "will be sprayed with a corrosion protection compound". on January 8, 2014 at 103,793 miles, I was forced to replace the entire differential at a cost of $4,657.67 due to the differential rusting completely through to the point it would no longer retain oil. More recently, O/a September 15, 2014 at approximately 105,500 miles I was driving at 30 mph when the mounting bracket that retains the spare tire in place rusted through and the spare tire fell off of my truck and ended up on the side of the road approximately 1/4 mile away. Fortunately, there was no one driving behind me and no other damage or injuries occurred. In both of the above issues at the time of each incident contacted Toyota customer service and was told that they could not assist me in either matter. I would like to submit this complaint in the hopes that it may help others in similar situations and I also would like to know if there is means or process I can follow to possible obtain restitution from Toyota. I have all necessary documentation to support my claims as outlined above. Thanking you in advance for your consideration in this matter.

- Chatsworth, NJ, USA

Apr 132013

Tundra 8-cyl

Upon inspection there is total rust of the frame and bolts on the suspension. Unusual tire wear. I have read about some recalls but this is an exceptional low miles vehicle (less then 50,000) and it is found to be in unsound condition and current value should be at least $18,000.

- Neosho, MO, USA

Mar 122013

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the front driver's side wheel became detached from the vehicle. The contact applied the brakes and began to skid until the vehicle came to a stop. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection and was repaired. The manufacturer was notified and stated that they would assist with the cost of the failed ball joint but not for any additional damages as a result of the failure. The failure mileage was 174,000. Updated 5/17/13

- Pine Valley, CA, USA

Jan 072012

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns 2003 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that while having the oil changed by an independent mechanic, he was informed that the rear end needed to be replaced due to corrosion. The manufacturer was notified, but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 92,375 and the current mileage was 92,575. Updated 03/05/12 Toyota informed the consumer, the rear frame was not covered under current frame corrosion recall. Updated 03/07/12

- Rutlend, MA, USA

Aug 172010

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that there was differential fluid leaking from the rear axle housing due to rust. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the dealer advised that there were no failures with the rear axle. Pictures were taken of the vehicle and sent to the manufacturer but the manufacturer advised that there were no failures seen from the pictures. The contact stated that the pictures were taken with an epoxy on the axle to help seal the leak so the manufacturer would not be able to see the actual failure. The contact stated that the rust ate through the epoxy and the rear differential continued to leak. The failure mileage was 65,000 and the current mileage was 72,000... updated 08-07-12. The consumer the vehicle has been repaired. Updated 08/08/2012

- Rome, NY, USA

Sep 252011

The contact owns 2003 Toyota Tundra. The contact stated that one of the fuel straps, which held the fuel tank in place, was rusted and corroded. As a result, the strap fractured and the fuel tank was hanging downward. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the strap was repaired. The manufacturer was notified, but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 126,190.

- Harleysville, PA, USA

Feb 102005

I bought a new 2003 Toyota Tundra limited 4X4 tuck here on guam. I've been experiencing shaking since about 2005. All the recalls supposily have been taken care of by the dealer ex: Lower ball joint replaced, brakes replaced and passenger airbag disconnected by dealer. Shaking became minimal, but now my truck shakes more than ever. I even had one of the dealer's mechanics test drive the truck with me. He said it was because the road is bumpy. I even drove on a newly paved road and the shaking was even more noticable. I told him to look at the side view mirror at the bed shaking. That's when he agreed with me. The dealer had my truck for four months or so trying to figure what was causing the shaking with no prevail. Hince, I have been dealing with the compensating of braking and shaking of my truck. I am really fed up taking my truck in for this problem. All my records of service are at the Toyota dealer. I hope you can find a solution to this problem and help me out.

- Hagatna, GU, USA

Sep 012005

Tundra 8-cyl

Vehicle vibrates at highway speeds. Despite repeated tire balancing, replacement and alignment. Vibrates between 50 and 80 mph. Dealer states it is because of standard 17 inch wheels on these vehicles.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Aug 012005

Tundra 8-cyl

2003 Toyota Tundra front tires had excessive outer tire wear. The tire were rotated and now all four tires have excessive wear.

- Sarasota, FL, USA