2007 Toyota Tundra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Tundra:

2007 Toyota Tundra Owner Comments

Jul 122008

Tundra

While driving at approx. 55mph the accelerator pedal on my 2007 Toyota Tundra suddenly dropped to the floor below my right foot. My truck accelerated to full throttle. The cruise control was not on. The accelerator was not stuck to the floor mat. The truck accelerated at a rapid pace and nearly ran into the rear of the vehicle in front of me on the roadway. I attempted to stop the vehicle by tapping on the brakes, then the accelerator and turning the cruise control button off even though the cruise was already off. Nothing responded and the truck continued to accelerate to a dangerous speed. The accelerator was "floored" and would not move. I had to maneuver around the vehicle in front of me and several that passed going the opposite direction quickly. The truck was gaining speed at an incredibly rapid pace. I continued to brake the truck in an attempt to stop the vehicle and prevent loosing control. I then attempted to down-shift the transmission. This caused the engine to rev uncontrollably. The same happened when shifted into neutral in an attempt to turn the engine off with the key. The RPM's were revving so high that I feared the engine would blow up. I pulled my truck into a boat parking area on the roadside and slammed on the brakes while putting the truck into neutral and turning the engine key to off. The engine, brakes and transmission were all smoking from the stress and high RPM's. I had experienced a similar uncontrollable acceleration about six months prior (Jan. 2008) to this one but was able to recover quickly by hitting the brakes and presumed that it was something wrong with the cruise control. Toyota replaced the accelerator pedal sensor assy but would not say whether this was the cause of the uncontrollable acceleration. They said that it was possibly caused by the aftermarket floor mats that I purchased at the dealership. Unfortunately, the pedal dropped from under my foot without my intervention. Toyota has not responded to my calls.

- Rangeley, ME, USA

Feb 202008

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owned a 2007 Toyota Tundra. While the contact's husband was driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle accelerated between approximately 80-100 mph, crashed into a tree and the driver was killed. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact believed that the crash was related to the recall about the aftermarket all weather floor mats becoming stuck and causing the vehicle to accelerate. A police report was filed. The current and failure mileages were approximately 35,000. Updated 03-11-08 updated 05/10/10 updated 06/17/10 updated 9/21/2011

- Worthington, IA, USA

Oct 262007

Tundra 8-cyl

2007 Toyota Tundra tire failure and air bag failure. Consumer would like all information regarding this vehicle due to the death of his son. A request was made to NHTSA to use Toyota's read out tool (rot) for even data recorders to read out the edr which is in the possession of the consumer. The vehicle was subject to two recalls. Updated 06/16/10.

- Unknown, DC, USA

Oct 152007

Tundra 4WD 8-cyl

Please see my write-up on the Toyota Tundra forum website: www.tundratalk.net/forums/Tundra-problems-dealer-service/30988-warning-accelerator-stuck.html. the web forum entry describes an unwanted acceleration incident that was caused by an unsecured aftermarket floor mat entrapping the accelerator pedal after application.

- Riverton, UT, USA

Jun 162007

Tundra 8-cyl

2007 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L limited. I was driving on the freeway and I went to pass another vehicle when I got into the next lane and another car changed lanes in front of me and I was forced to slam the brakes. The ABS system engaged and slowed vehicle down, but the truck felt like it was being pushed forward... by this time I had enough room in front of me, so I let off the brakes and the truck jumped like I was holding my foot on the gas. I almost hit the car in front of me again. I slammed on the Y brakes again and the ABS system kicked in, and the truck was still trying to accelerate, but I held the brake hard enough that I didn't hit the car in front of me. At this point I had to do something. I stuck the truck in neutral and tried to get to the side of the freeway. When I got stopped I had 3 lights on., brake, vsc, and a picture of a car with 2 crooked lines on it. I believed it was traction control. By now the truck was normal again but the lights were on so I took the truck straight to the dealer.

- Rosemead , CA, USA