2010 Toyota Venza electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Venza:

2010 Toyota Venza Owner Comments

Jan 222016

Driver's side front seat heater assembly: Noticed a distinct burning smell whenever seat heater turned to the on position. Will keep in off position until issue is resolved.

- Thurmont, MD, USA

Oct 262012

Venza 6-cyl

On October 20, 2012, my wife came home from work and stated that the brakes were not working properly (I.e. brake pedal dropped almost to the floor at times and brakes did not engage properly) on our 2010 Toyota Venza and that a message was illuminated in the center console computer system that stated, "brake system failure. Contact your dealership immediately!". I contacted the dealership, informed them that the brakes were not working correctly and of the illuminated message, and was instructed to bring the vehicle into the dealership. I drove the vehicle into the dealership and on the way the brake system occasionally did not engage properly again (2nd time in same day). I managed to cautiously drive to the dealership and inform the dealership that I did not want this vehicle back until they were able to identify the cause of the problem and fix the problem. On the same day, I was informed that the mechanic flushed the brake system, took the vehicle for a test drive, and the vehicle's brake system failed for a third time. I observed the mechanic plug his diagnostic lap top into our vehicle and he was unable to find any stored errors in the computer software (despite the fact the vehicle's brake system failed 3 times on different occasions for 3 different people on the same day). The dealership was unable to identify the cause of the problem, so on October 22, 2012 they contacted Toyota corporate's engineering department for guidance. Corporate instructed the dealership to replace the master cylinder and the ABS actuator. The dealership replaced these parts, conducted a test drive, and released this unsafe vehicle to my wife on October 23, 2012 never stating what caused the repeated brake failure. On October 26, 2012, the brake system again and was the cause of an accident. A formal complaint was filed with Toyota corporation and they are denying liability.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 142010

On September 14, 2010 my husband and I were driving our 2010 Toyota Venza on rte. 19S, in fayette, West Virginia. We accelerated our Venza to match ongoing traffic speeds, when the throttle stuck wide open and was increasing in speed. I stepped on the brakes, which failed to respond. I then checked the cruise control, to see if I had inadvertently engaged it, but I had not. I then started to pump the accelerator pedal with extreme force, and after numerous pumps, the throttle disengaged. As soon as it was safe, we pulled over to the side of the road, and called our dealership, courtesy Toyota. They instructed us to call 1(800)331-4331 to report the incident and have the vehicle towed to the nearest Toyota dealer. The car was brought to L&S Toyota city in beckley, wv, where they proceeded to perform an unintended acceleration inspection, but the tech was unable to duplicate the issue. They performed the recall of the pedal reshaping, which we had not been previously notified of, and cleared the vehicle for release to us, at this time, and advised us that if this should reoccur, to shift the vehicle into neutral and slow the car by braking. The issue was not related to the pedal shape or the driver mat, and was in fact a computer anomaly. When the anomaly occurred, it froze the throttle and blocked the braking system.. further more, the idea to shift into neutral is unsafe, as there were no brakes to slow the vehicle to a stop and would continue to coast onward at an uncontrollable velocity. I expect that Toyota company knows the defect lies in the computer control system, but may well believe the cost of claims and human lives is cheaper than fixing the very real problem. We purchased the Toyota Venza March 30, 2010 and were assured that, at that time, there were no recalls for it. The recall for our Venza was issued March 16, 2010, which had not been performed on our car, and we had not been aware of one until our very traumatic experience occurred.

- Barre, VT, USA