2005 Volkswagen Beetle electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Volkswagen Beetle:

2005 Volkswagen Beetle Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 062011

Beetle 4-cyl

Had a very hard time getting the top to come up enough to latch numerous times on a road trip. As suddenly as the problem started it went away. But when that problem stopped, I was left with a severe rattle on the passenger side and a quarter back window on the same side that looks mis-aligned with the front window and leaves a gap, lets wind in and quite often doesn't come completely shut. On October 6, I put my top down to drive about 5 miles home. When I got home, the top wouldn't come up. I got out and gently pulled on the top, got back in and eventually it came up. Exactly one week later, I put the top down and I noticed that the driver's side back 1/4 window was stuck halfway down. Tried to put it up and heard a nasty little sound which continued whenever I pressed the button for that window. I had to finally get a gentleman to help me pull it up. In the last couple of months I replaced the battery (a real whipping to get in and out) followed a week later by a driver's side front light bulb for which I was charged $100 and the mechanic did the change in less than 10 minutes. I've replaced back-up lights so many times I've actually learned how to do it myself. VW of America needs to be forced to do something about the window regulators, top problems, electrical problems, transmission problems etc. Etc. I am a single female with no garage to park in if the quirky top and windows decide not to come up. I am also limited on budget and the design of this car causes labor charges that are astronomical to do the simplist of things. Pretty sure I have the window regulator problem where they want to charge $900 per side. The labor charge to replace a batter is over $100. The window problems have been going on with VW for a very long time. I've had 3 and had numerous window problems in every one of them.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Jul 152009

VW 2005 convertible bug both rear window problems, will not roll up or down. Passenger side window is making a horrible squeaking noise, seems to be the next one to go. Along with head light shortages. The last 5 years I have at least replaced the headlights at least 8 times. Recently both headlights have turned themselves off/out. This is ridiculous! this is unacceptable and VW should be ashamed of themselves to not fix the problems that are obviously flawed! I understand putting out a product will have some flaws, but not standing behind their brand name and not making things right is a slap in the face. I was a proud owner of my first car I bought myself. And all I have to show and get out of the deal is an empty wallet and embarrassment when I drive down the road because features don't work right. Do what's right VW and man up to your mistake. I would buy 10 more cars like the one I have if only they took pride in their product and honored the average loyal customer. I'm a 25 year old girl who supports myself on my own dollar. I was raised knowing you fix what problems you create. Be accountable and do what's right! it's your turn VW please do what's right.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Sep 152010

Beetle 4-cyl

Just like everyone else's complaint. I have a 2005 convertible Beetle that is jerking, thrusting, getting stuck in gears. I drive the car for approximately 10 min and then it starts like clockwork. I have had it in the shop for 2 weeks and spent $1400 replacing everything to fix the problem. Nothing shows up on the diagnostic machine (no codes) they tell me. I am astounded at all the complaints I'm seeing about the transmission defect. My car has 83,000 miles and I cannot pay $4000 - $5000 to fix. I will be out of transportation and out of a job. What is being done by Volkswagen to fix this defect. This is unacceptable!!!

- League City, TX, USA

Jul 102010

Normal driving with my VW 2005 Beetle. It has had a lot of electrical issues. Have had to replace headlights, turn signals, and brake lights several time. Only has 58,000 miles on it. Now the power window has stopped working. One electrical problem after the other. Sorry parts are not available.

- Williamsport, PA, USA

Aug 142006

2005 Volkswagen Beetle would not start properly. Mechanic determined the temp sensor was bad and replaced it. Parts for the convertible top and headlights have been replaced. The dealer in now telling the consumer that the vehicle needs a strut bearing.

- Red Bank, NJ, USA