2009 Volkswagen GTI brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen GTI:

2009 Volkswagen GTI Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 152016

GTI

The ABS pump and module died on my '09 VW Gti at just over 50000 miles. When ABS or traction control is called upon, the systems fail, causing the car to lose control. In my case, it happens every time I hit a snowy or icy patch while driving. Also, the ABS, esp, and braking indicator all light up on the dashboard with the braking light flashing and dinging. All maintenance was current on my car. I was not driving excessively when these incidents occurred. VW wants over $2100 to fix the issue. Volkswagen of America denies there are any problems with the '09 Gti ABS system, despite numerous reports across the internet, and has refused my request for financial assistance to correct a problem they say makes the car unsafe to operate.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Jan 102016

GTI

ABS module is going out, causing the traction control to turn off, engine light to turn on, assisted steering to turn off and ABS to turn off. It is all intermediate turing off an on. These will all turn on and off while driving and or parked. Highway or in town.

- Richland, WA, USA

Jan 042016

GTI

The Bosch ABS brake pump has failed. This causes the brakes to lose ABS and traction control capability in the event of hard braking event. This issue re-sets with every ignition cycle and suddenly re-appears during the braking event. This has happened to me three times, 1st time was complete surprised and spun 360 degrees in the road, luckily no one was around. VW diagnosed issue, $2500, refused to pay or acknowledge this is an issue, despite many complaints. In the past two months, I have slid across two lanes of traffic over a curb thru a business front yard, luckily no damage to me or vehicle. Next I slid again, when the brakes failed and hit a curb, $1500 damage to my car. VW again has refused to pay for the brake pump failure. There are many complaints on Gti blogs, VW cares twitter account. In some cases VW has paid for have consumer vehicle fixed, but in my case they denied twice. Once before and once after I had an accident. My VW case manager said my claim was denied, no real reason. I live in Michigan, so our winters are long and snow filled, I fear everytime I get on the road in could be my last. I won't let my family drive this car. I don't want me or some else to die because of this issue. During the event, the brakes completely lock up, leaving the driver with no control in what must be an situation if you were braking hard to begin with. I find this issue to much much worse than their diesel rigging scheme. This failure will actually kill people. VW has also had Bosch improve or fix this issue on later Gti models. I can't understand why an issue like this is not recalled. One lost life is too many.

- Oxford, MI, USA

Mar 012015

GTI

During any emergency braking situation, my car will lock all four tires and the traction control, ABS, and emergency brake (flashing) lights will turn on. The lights remain on until the car is turned off and on. This is very dangerous fault that appears to be very common on the 2009 Gti. This issue is very easy to reproduce by braking hard from any speed greater than 35 mph. I have been told it is the ABS control module, which is in line with all of the other complaints about the ABS system. Vwoa should recall the ABS control module on the 2009 Gti.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Dec 162015

GTI

ABS light comes on while driving, along with E brake light, traction control light. Dealer says it's the ABS module. Car has 33,400 miles. ABS light will go off after restarting but will keep going into the fault code out of the blue while driving. Car will skid if excessive braking is needed. Dangerous for owner and other people. ABS module should be recalled but again with VW current situation with diesels it's no wonder they won't backup a defective ABS module.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Dec 012015

GTI

Faulty ABS control module. ABS and traction control lights go solid, brake light blinks, whenever ABS kicks in (happens anytime it snows). Then the ABS will not work again until the car is shut off and turned on again. VW you need to fix this, or people will die in accidents because of no ABS!! my car only has 40,500 miles.

- St. Paul, MN, USA

Nov 022015

GTI

2009 Volkswagen Gti ABS control module failure. This appears to be a common problem. Driving down the highway and complete system failure occurred. Numerous dash board annunciator lights and loss of speedometer.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Nov 092015

GTI

Purchased this car brand new from the dealership. Because I lived in the D.C. area, I didn't drive it much, so the car today has about 34K miles. A week ago, I was driving on the highway about 65 mph when the brake light and ABS came on, along with the three warning dings. Took it to the VW dealership on austin, who diagnosed as ABS brake module failure. I found a VW repair shop who would change out the module for $400 less, and I drove it home. Strangely, the lights are off. Based on everything we've found online, this is a serious safety issue for this car. First, the lights should not be shutting off as if the problem has disappeared. Second, a car with this few miles should not have the ABS system failing. VW needs to issue an immediate recall to replace all of these 2009 Gti ABS modules before someone is killed.

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 092015

GTI

I bought this Gti used from a fabulous VW dealer with 55,000 miles on it. I've owned the vehicle roughly six or seven months and under hard braking, sharp turns/maneuvers or quick acceleration I would randomly get the ABS, traction control and flashing E-brake light illuminated in my gauge cluster. These warning lights would stay on until the ignition was switched off and when the car was restarted would go away. While driving home from work yesterday, now with 62,000 miles, I applied the brakes while going 45-50 miles an hour. The car that was a good 6 car lengths in front of me had slammed on their brakes so I had ample room to come to a stop. After applying the brakes all of my wheels locked up and my car began to spin out of control off the road. After spinning twice my car came to rest on the shoulder facing the opposite direction. The car came to rest not more than a foot from a 30 or 40 foot steep unguarded grade. Had the car gone any further I might have been severely injured, or worse, killed. The same lights were illuminated on the gauge cluster. After gathering my nerve and driving home I parked the car in my drive way. Turned it off and turned it back on. Again, all the warning lights were gone. I did some online research and found numerous accounts of this issue indicative of the 2009 model year VW's but no recall has been issued. VW customer service stated that they would not cover any costs which I reject as I feel that I should not have to pay the hefty fee of replacing and recoding the ABS module as it shouldn't have failed to begin with.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 162015

GTI

ABS control module fault. Several times my brake light warning has come on, suddenly, and have lost ABS function and lost braking power while driving. Very scary on highway. VW shop found 7 different fault codes and could not gain response or contact with the control module. It is essentially dead now whenever I turn on car. I have read dozens of complaints online about similar problems with other 2009 vws. Since this has happened after my extended 60,000 mile warranty (68,000miles now) VW will not cover issue despite it being endemic. Please investigate, this is dangerous and needs to be covered by the company and recalled to keep people safe.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Aug 032015

GTI

ABS, traction control and brake light come on all together. The ABS module is failing. This appears to be a rampant problem with many 2009 Gti's. the bad module also makes power steering go out, as well as the fuel gauge and speedometer not work.

- Alhambra, CA, USA

Sep 172015

GTI

While accelerating onto highway, multiple warning lights came on in the instrument cluster. "esp" light on solid, "ABS" light on solid and "handbrake" light flashing. I pulled off the highway turned the car off then back on and lights disappeared. After research online I found hundreds of other owners with similar issues. The problems stems from a faulty ABS control module where repairs costs thousands of dollars. When this part fails the vehicle has no ability to use ABS system or traction control system. This is a major safety system with in the car. The number of owners experiencing this problem leads me to believe this is a wide spread issue with the part used within the system.

- Ferguson, MO, USA

Sep 262015

GTI

When braking hard today (it was raining and I got cut off by a distracted driver) my car went into a (barely) controlled skid. ABS, esp. Steering wheel lights all flashing with three beeps. The lights went away when I turned the car off/on. My wife is 7 months pregnant, and was with me in the car. I'm not impressed with what I'm reading online regarding the sheer volume of others experiencing complete ABS failure. Someone is going to get killed if VW doesn't recall the malfunctioning control module. I've booked my car in for service next week. I truly hope VW steps up and finally accepts responsibility for this life-saving repair. Ps I'm in british columbia, Canada (victoria).

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 132015

GTI

2009 Volkswagen Gti - ABS control module or pump failure. Under normal driving conditions, several dash lights came on including "brake" and "ABS", as well as being accompanied by beeping. The ABS system in the vehicle was no longer active as soon as this happened. Once the car was turned off and back on, the lights were gone and ABS was active. Now, in any inclement weather, this happens and immediately disables the ABS, which is a huge safety hazard. Volkswagen does not currently acknowledge this issue.

- Rippey, IA, USA

Aug 122015

GTI

ABS and traction control warning lights on the dash had intermittently appeared on several occasion over the past three months while driving at various speeds and conditions. The warning lights would stay on until I turned the car off. Once restarted the lights would be off. On 12-Aug-15 the same warning lights came on when I started the car. They remained on after turning the car off and restarting. Three warning beeps were then heard at several minute intervals until I reach my destination. Other warning lights came on briefly then went out. I was informed by a mechanic that the ABS control module had failed. Based on an internet search I understand this is a common issue with the 2009 VW Gti.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Mar 162015

GTI

As I am driving or accelerating, not braking or otherwise slowing down, I get a warning beep and then the ABS light comes on and the 'brake' light on the dashboard starts flashing. This has happened twice in the past 3 months. The lights go off when the car is shut down and restarted. When I reported the second incident to the dealer, they reported that the ABS module is failing and that lack of repair could cause the brakes to lock or otherwise fail in the case of a sharp or severe stop. After doing research online, I have found that this issue is endemic among 2009 vws, particularly Gtis and there are known instances of crashes as a result of brake failure. VW has not issued a recall for this part (made by Bosch) and they have in some cases replaced the part at no cost to the owner, but there is a lack of communication/admission from the manufacturer that the issue even exists! I have a filed a complaint online with VW directly and hope that there is some movement in this case--that it will be covered and that there will be some public mention of this problem.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

May 272015

GTI

Driving on highway 34 from greeley co towards loveland co at speed limit of 65. I applied the breaks to adjust my speed for traffic, as I applied the breaks the ABS control module failed causing wheels to lock up causing the loss of control of the car. After a moment I was in a ditch with bent wheels and body damage to my Gti from the speed limit and mile markers signed I stuck. Most likely these two post were probably what kept the car from rolling and killing me. Police and insurance have been informed of the crash.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Jun 012015

GTI

ABS warning light started coming on. Then a warning light that the right, rear turn signal had failed. One week later the entire dashboard is covered in warning lights, including a "faulty engine workshop" warning light. It appears that ABS control module has failed, leaving me with no ABS braking on a well maintained, 50K mile car. This seems to be rampant problem with the tsi mkv Gti at this mileage. VW of America offered me no assistance. VW should recall this part before they see any accidents lead to serious injuries.

- Evanston, IL, USA

May 222015

GTI

The ABS module failure has been reported many times online. The module will fail causing ABS, traction control, power steering, and engine lights to all come on. Much of the dashboard is lit now. The car reads "engine fault workshop" and the speedometer will drop to 0 mph. The fuel gauge will change from empty to 3/4 to 1/2 while driving. Audible beeps are heard from dash.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Apr 242015

GTI 4-cyl

I purchased my 2009 Gti Feb 2015 and the carfax was great; however, the ABS control module randomly failed about two months later causing lose of steering and control, this occurred while driving in traffic and it was very scary. Loud warning beeps went off and warning lights started flashing. The warning lights continued flashing until I turned it off. When I restarted the engine, the warning lights were no longer lit and drove it home. I tested my car again minutes after arriving home. It seemed fine, but then it happened again after just a minute of driving it. I took it to the VW dealer service center. They diagnosed the issue to be the ABS module. It needs to be replaced and the cost is $2,260. I called VW and they do not cover the repair costs. This needs to be addressed immediately considering the numerous complaints and the danger this malfunction imposes.

- Miami, FL, USA