2009 Volkswagen GTI brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen GTI:

2009 Volkswagen GTI Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Mar 162015

GTI

As I am driving or accelerating, not braking or otherwise slowing down, I get a warning beep and then the ABS light comes on and the 'brake' light on the dashboard starts flashing. This has happened twice in the past 3 months. The lights go off when the car is shut down and restarted. When I reported the second incident to the dealer, they reported that the ABS module is failing and that lack of repair could cause the brakes to lock or otherwise fail in the case of a sharp or severe stop. After doing research online, I have found that this issue is endemic among 2009 vws, particularly Gtis and there are known instances of crashes as a result of brake failure. VW has not issued a recall for this part (made by Bosch) and they have in some cases replaced the part at no cost to the owner, but there is a lack of communication/admission from the manufacturer that the issue even exists! I have a filed a complaint online with VW directly and hope that there is some movement in this case--that it will be covered and that there will be some public mention of this problem.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

May 272015

GTI

Driving on highway 34 from greeley co towards loveland co at speed limit of 65. I applied the breaks to adjust my speed for traffic, as I applied the breaks the ABS control module failed causing wheels to lock up causing the loss of control of the car. After a moment I was in a ditch with bent wheels and body damage to my Gti from the speed limit and mile markers signed I stuck. Most likely these two post were probably what kept the car from rolling and killing me. Police and insurance have been informed of the crash.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Jun 012015

GTI

ABS warning light started coming on. Then a warning light that the right, rear turn signal had failed. One week later the entire dashboard is covered in warning lights, including a "faulty engine workshop" warning light. It appears that ABS control module has failed, leaving me with no ABS braking on a well maintained, 50K mile car. This seems to be rampant problem with the tsi mkv Gti at this mileage. VW of America offered me no assistance. VW should recall this part before they see any accidents lead to serious injuries.

- Evanston, IL, USA

May 222015

GTI

The ABS module failure has been reported many times online. The module will fail causing ABS, traction control, power steering, and engine lights to all come on. Much of the dashboard is lit now. The car reads "engine fault workshop" and the speedometer will drop to 0 mph. The fuel gauge will change from empty to 3/4 to 1/2 while driving. Audible beeps are heard from dash.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Apr 242015

GTI 4-cyl

I purchased my 2009 Gti Feb 2015 and the carfax was great; however, the ABS control module randomly failed about two months later causing lose of steering and control, this occurred while driving in traffic and it was very scary. Loud warning beeps went off and warning lights started flashing. The warning lights continued flashing until I turned it off. When I restarted the engine, the warning lights were no longer lit and drove it home. I tested my car again minutes after arriving home. It seemed fine, but then it happened again after just a minute of driving it. I took it to the VW dealer service center. They diagnosed the issue to be the ABS module. It needs to be replaced and the cost is $2,260. I called VW and they do not cover the repair costs. This needs to be addressed immediately considering the numerous complaints and the danger this malfunction imposes.

- Miami, FL, USA

Apr 112015

GTI 4-cyl

Driving at speed, the ABS control module randomly fails, causing ABS brakes to skid under hard braking. Lose of steering and control is the result. In addition the partial steering is affected. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen, I can not understand why Volkswagen of american does not replace faulty units as this can cause fatalities and injuries. Many people are replacing these units through non-certified technicians, or diy. This should be installed by a VW certified tech. NHTSA should mandate a recall or someone could get seriously injured or die. There are so many cases of this floating around the internet forums and other social media. Does someone have to die for people to finally listen"???"

- Walnut, CA, USA

Oct 012014

GTI

I was driving under normal conditions on dry city street at approximately 25 mph, when suddenly a loud warning tone went off and 3 warning lights (ABS, traction control, and brake) started flashing. This was in heavy two-way traffic and it was terrifying to think these systems had failed. Fortunately I was able to pull over and stop safely. The warning lights continued flashing until I turned off the engine. When I restarted the engine, the warning lights were no longer lit, so I thought it might have been some type of fluke. But to be safe I brought it to my VW dealer service center. Initially they diagnosed the issue as the dsg mechatronic unit, which they replaced. However shortly after getting the car back, the same symptoms occurred again under normal driving. This time when I brought it to VW they indicated that the ABS module and pump need to be replaced, at the cost of $3,600. VW refuses to cover the cost of repair. Due to the high cost initially I postponed the repair, but since then the same sequence of events has occurred approximately 6 more times and I have read about near-death experiences related to the same issue, so I am getting the work done. I am the original owner of the car. When this problem started it had only 29,000 miles and has always been serviced by the dealer and driven responsibly. Every time this has occurred during mild driving conditions and I was not applying the brakes. It just fails at random. Usually but not always this occurs while turning.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Dec 092014

GTI 4-cyl

The VW dealer has diagnosed the problem as a failure of the ABS control module. While driving a car with a failed control module, there a no symptoms, but if you hit the brakes hard enough to trigger the ABS system, the ABS system doesn't work. The tires lock, and the car slides. Thereafter, several warning lights come on, but power cycling the car turns the lights off, giving the impression that the problem has resolved. I wasn't involved in an accident, but the risk of someone being is a serious accident because of an ABS failure is high. You would only find out the part had failed after you needed it.

- Palo Alto, CA, USA

May 072014

GTI 4-cyl

The vehicle severely wondered under hard braking without any alarm being triggered before the incident. Only after the incident, ABS and red brake light went on. As a result of the incident, the ABS control module and pump were replaced. The ABS system does not appear to be designed as a fail-safe system which does not seem good engineering practice.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Jan 312014

GTI

Turning right from a stop. Car's ABS failed at approximately 5 mph and continued to stay off until the engine was turned off and restarted. The ABS light disappeared until next turn at approximately 10 mph when ABS failed again. Issue has persisted in any type of inclement weather over the past 10 months.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Nov 182014

GTI

While driving North on I-895 at 55 mph, nearly all of my warning lights appeared on the dashboard, along with "engine fault workshop" on the mass display. The VW dealership indicated that it was the ABS control module. Upon research online, this appears to be a common issue with 2009 VW Gti's. some have reported that the their brakes have completely locked up on them. I called Volkswagen of America, and they deny any issues with this.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Nov 182014

GTI

When braking in slippery conditions, the ABS light, brake light, and traction control lights come on and the ABS ceases to function, allowing the brakes to lock up and the car to slide. The lights reset when the car is turned off and on but the failure happens every time ABS should be engaged. Effectively, the ABS does not work.

- Akron, OH, USA

Nov 052014

GTI 4-cyl

While driving at highway speeds, multiple dashboard lights indicating loss of traction control, anti-lock brakes, and power steering were illuminated. This then caused issues because those systems are not working while the speedometer (would stay at 0mph when driving) and the fuel gauge (moved around randomly from 1/4 to 3/4 full). Looking into this issue I found that several owners of the same make, model, and year have had the exact problem as me.

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Nov 042014

GTI

I was traveling East in the right lane on interstate 44 at approximately 0645 in the am. It was normal heavy morning work traffic going into Oklahoma city, traveling the posted speed of 70 mph. I was following a full size pickup truck and moderate traffic was passing me on my left. Without notice, traffic suddenly slowed to approximately 40 mph, causing me to hit my brakes hard. The ABS system engaged and my car was thrown sideways off the road at approximately 70 mph. I pulled the car back left, causing vehicles in the left lane to swerve to miss hitting me. The ABS and brake light illuminated on my car, indicating a failure however, a dummy could figure out the brakes were not working. There is no doubt in my mind, had my car been thrown left when I hit the brakes I would have been smeared by on coming traffic, likely a fatality. I immediately took my car to Volkswagen and was told I needed a pump/ABS module; a 2500 repair. Understand when I shut the car off and turned it back on, the ABS/brake fault lights clear. I had no indication my ABS system was malfunctioning until I needed brakes. And bam!. after reading forums, its apparent this is an on going problem with 2009 Gtis and it should be an immediate safety concern of Volkswagen. Someone is going to get killed. I've asked for my old parts so I will have them when there are court proceedings against Volkswagen for the injury or death of someone as a result of a failed ABS system. This really does need investigating. Thank you

- Tuttle, OK, USA

Oct 052013

GTI

I was driving around a turn at roughly 60mph on a highway off-ramp during dry conditions when the dashboard chimed and several warning lights illuminated. Both the esp and ABS lights lit and remained lit continuously, and the brake light began to blink continuously. The car still drove normally, so I continued to drive another five minutes to my home. Upon turning off the ignition completely and restarting the car, all three indicator lights were cleared. This same incident occurred on numerous occasions over the following months, during snowy/icy conditions. On any slippery road surface during heavy braking, the three indicator lights would illuminate and the dash would chime. This fault was always cleared by simply restarting the vehicle. However, the ABS system never functioned properly; the brakes would simply lock up when this fault occurred. I brought the vehicle to a dealer to have a proper diagnoses completed, at which point it was determined that the ABS module was faulty and needed to be replaced. The repair cost was estimated at $1700. I contacted VW's corporate North american office several times through phone call and mail, and I was denied coverage or payment assistance, as the vehicle was beyond the bumper-to-bumper warranty. I decided not to worry about the problem until this winter, but last week I had the fault occur again when driving at about 55mph on a wet roadway and hitting my brakes hard to avoid a deer that ran across the road. I was fortunate to miss the deer, but the brakes locked up and the rear-end of the vehicle began to slide around before I let off the brakes. I had another dealer diagnose the issue again, and this time they discovered that the ABS pump and module were both faulty. I just had the repair performed at a cost of about $2,450. I feel this is a serious safety issue that should warrant a recall.

- Morris Plains, NJ, USA

Oct 192014

GTI 4-cyl

Instrument panel displays check engine light, steering light, ABS light, traction control light, brake light, tire pressure light. ABS no longer works in a hard brake situation, wheels lock and car will skid. Engine also refuses to rev past around 3900 RPM unless manually upshift to a higher gear. Steering assist no longer works.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jul 022014

GTI 4-cyl

ABS, traction light, and brake light went on during driving. Many 2009 Volkswagen Gtis have the same problem. Its known an koabs module and pump defective.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 092013

GTI 4-cyl

I was driving on the canyon and went into a turn at 40mph. I heard a beep and my ABS, brake and traction control lights all went on at once. The lights stayed on but the parking brake light flashed. The car felt weird while driving and I was afraid to keep driving so I pulled over and turned the car off. After checking the codes through my vagcom cable I had a 01130 - ABS operation code. The lights went away after I turned the car off and on but this same issue kept happening throughout the canyon until I arrived at my destination. I stopped pulling over and just drove with the lights carefully all the way home. The ABS seems to be turned off as this malfunction occurs. This is dangerous especially on wet roads and on canyons. I tried contacting VW of America and they said they do not cover this problem. They wanted $2000+ for the replacement of the ABS control module. I think this is not fair and should be a recall. This issue is known for all 2009 VW Gti's. many 2009 Gti's have faulty ABS units. I hope this will be looked into and hopefully vwoa will start a recall campaign. Thank you for reading.

- Sherman Oaks, CA, USA

Aug 082014

GTI

On 8/8/2014, I turned on my car to go work. Once I turned on the ignition/engine, all warning lights (power steering, engine, electronics, ABS, esp and braking) came on or flashing. After several attempts (3 times) to restart the car, the warning lights came on and off periodically. With a last restarting attempt that morning, all warnings lights went away and I drove off to work. In the middle of the way, all warning lights came back on again. This time, power steering, ABS, speedometer, gas gauge, etc. All malfunctioned periodically during my drive. During the drive, I had no idea how fast I was driving or how much gas I really had and with no power steering and ABS etc. I did arrive at work safely but not without some serious and perhaps dangerous maneuvers with a nonworking power steering, ABS, and other electronic components. I took the car to a VW dealership in braintree MA the next morning. After a weekend of diagnosis and a random repair to the ignition switch, the dealership told me it was the ABS control module fault and it needed a replacement. Since that VW dealership was not able to give me a precise diagnosis without repairing random parts of my car and had me paid for it, I took the car to another VW dealership in danvers MA. After hours of diagnosis, I got the same result that the ABS control module is at fault. I had the dealership replaced the ABS control module and paid thousands for the repair. Now the car is running fine. But knowing that the ABS control module fault is very common among my model of the car at all mileage from research and talking with local mechanics, I want to make aware of this problem and the dangers behind a random failure in the ABS control module that can cause failure of both electronic and mechanic components in the car which can lead to serious accidents, injuries, or even deaths without slightest warning on the road.

- Quincy, MA, USA

Mar 052014

GTI

About a month after buying the car during one of the larger snow storms this year in va. I was on my way to work and was stopping at a stop light when I get "christmas lights, " on my dash, beeping three times and flashing ecs, as well as ABS. I drove to work without huge incident knowing my ABS and ecs were turned off at this point, and parked to see if turning the car on and off would reset the lights. I didn't worry until the next morning when on my home after a 12 hour night shift when it happened again, this time I was moving and trying to slow down on ice after the night of snow, as soon as I hit the brake the dashboard lit up again, causing me to slide into a curb, almost hitting another car. I then did some research and found it to be a faulty or bad ABS control module, I then took my car into VW a few weeks later to get serviced for the issue, and they could not reproduce the problem. I have since shipped the car to spain while I am here for a couple years and have reproduced the problem without ice, snow, or even water, twice in a week period. Now since my car is not covered under a certified pre owned warranty while in spain I will have to pay out of pocket to get it fixed, something that is obviously a safety issue! here is a link to others who've had the same problem: www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?T=151505 as you can see, it is S problem that has been fixed with a new part. Making this a pretty good reason to be recalled.

- Fpo, AE, USA