2009 Volkswagen Jetta drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta:

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 152016

Jetta 4-cyl

I am requesting that the dot NHTSA investigate the timing chain tensioner in this make and model of car. I started my car one morning and the engine made a metallic rattling sound as I proceeded to back out of the driveway. No check engine light came on until reaching the end of the driveway. Car was then driven to dealership immediately and diagnosed as having "jumped time" due to the failure of the timing chain tensioner. Upon picking up the car several days later after the repairs were complete, the service advisor informed us that the metal ring holding the tensioner latch in place had fallen off; allowing the tiny adjustable latch to fall out, and that both pieces were lying, loose, in the compartment when the car was taken apart. This failure appears to be related to technical service bulletin 15-12-01. A web search reveals that this problem has become more and more common and affects multiple years and models of Volkswagen automobiles. The car had approximately 49,000 miles on it at the time of the failure and never missed a service. VW was notified of the failure.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Sep 202016

Jetta

My Jetta is experiencing the same safety issues as indicated in report NHTSA campaign number: 09V333000. While in drive the transmission goes into neutral, uncommand. However, my VIN number is not included in the recall VW 37E3/S7 for NHTSA campaign number 09V-333. Please consider adding my VIN number to the VW recall. I will contact VW and request the same.

- Davenport, FL, USA

May 012014

Jetta

Check engine light comes on frequently and when I take to dealer it is always a sensor problem I have also had some electrical issues replacing bulbs frequently. Also while driving the shifting lights will all light up prnds, sometimes there is a loss of power. Also one of the overhead light seems to have melted due to a high heat source of some kind.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Mar 292016

Jetta

Car's transmission shifts into neutral with no warning. Has done it while turning in intersections, near rail road tracks, interstate construction areas. Car has to come to a complete stop and engine be shut off, then it may or may not go, may have to do multiple times before car will move again. Flashes error in dash and trans light blinks. Car was recalled once for this issue and "fixed" by VW and now it is doing it again. Total safety issue and VW is turning their heads to it.

- Colona, IL, USA

Jan 282016

Jetta

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving at various speeds, the ABS module malfunctioned and caused the vehicle to shift out of gear. The affected parts included the speedometer and the power steering. The speedometer shifted to zero mph without the assistance of the driver, and the steering wheel stiffened, which caused further difficulties for the contact. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 09/22/16

- Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 052015

Jetta

Car is equipped with a dsg transmission. When shifting between park, reverse, neutral & drive vehicle's transmission fails. There is a loud clunking sound followed up by the prnds on the dashboard illuminating and and car being forced into a neutral state. Car has been looked at by several mechanics. Volkswagen dealership replaced the mechatronic unit. And independent mechanic replaced the dual mass flywheel as well. There is still no fix or change. Problem started around 120,000 miles.

- Oakville, CT, USA

Oct 172015

Jetta

The timing chain tension broke causing the chain to break off and bend several values causing extension damage to the motor. Most cars are equipped with timing belts but VW went to the timing chain in return the tensioner which they later revised is faulty and breaks causing the chain to destroy several important parts. VW is unwilling to help us with this issue that they know is an issue because they later corrected in the later models. I called customer care but because the power train warranty at 60,000 is expired they will do nothing. There is a huge forum started with several people that have had this use around 80-110,00 miles!! I am outraged and have to spend thousands of dollars to repair all the damage or basically get a new car. The car is worthless at this point.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 022015

Jetta

Engine light came on, I had my mechanic do a 120,000 mile service and diagnose the dash engine light and the intake manifold was replaced. When I picked the car up I smelled diesel. I drove it 13 miles, when I got home I smelled diesel again. I opened the hood and there was diesel all over the left engine side. There was a wet, split fuel line, leaking fluid in the parking lot, a blue plastic set small rings (like the olympic symbol) sat near the split hose. It could have caused a fire, and other cars to be in danger from slick road, among other things.

- Watsonville, CA, USA

Oct 012015

Jetta

My make and model fall within the paramaters of the VW recall 37E3/S7, nhsta 09V333000 and vwoa is refussing my claim. My vehicle has shown the documented problems for over 100,000 miles. My vehicle goes into neutral suddenly several times a day.

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Mar 102015

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving at 65 mph, the transmission failed without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle, but all the gear indicator lights were illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred. The failure mileage was 185,291. Updated 11/25/15

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Aug 012015

Jetta

I was driving on the highway at 65 miles per hour, and my engine stalled. This came without warning from the alert systems. I towed the car to the dealership, and the service department said that the high pressure fuel pump had malfunctioned. There is an extended warranty on the high pressure fuel pumps, and my car was in the mileage and age limits. They said they would test my fuel, and if it had a trace of gasoline in the diesel engine, then the extended powertrain warranty would be voided. The test results showed no trace of gasoline, but they still refused to pay for the repairs. This cost me over $4000. This is identical to the problems reported in NHTSA action number EA11003.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 142015

Jetta

Driving down the road at 35 mph the car suddenly dies, leaving me no power to escape a possible accident, brakes are hard to use, stuck in a traffic lane with cars coming up on me at 35 to 45 mph, turns out the hpfp exploded sending metal thru out the fuel system causing the engine to starve for fuel and stall out, with no fuel getting to the engine the motor wont restart causing a life threatening situation

- Reseda, CA, USA

Jun 202015

Jetta

I recently replaced the dmf (dual mass flywheel) in my car. It was preventative maintenance, as a failed flywheel is a hazard. The flywheel was failing to the point where it could be heard rattling while the car was running. The flywheels can fail unexpectedly at any time or speed, possibly causing serious damage to the engine and transmission, and possibly causing a sudden, uncontrollable stop. Researching online shows this part is prone to failure. I believe there should be a recall. VW has done nothing of the sort.

- Middlefield, OH, USA

Jan 142015

Jetta

Automatic transmission shifts into neutral without warning. Car works properly after parking and restart.

- West Stockbridge, MA, USA

Apr 222015

Jetta

I was driving my Jetta tdi to work on I-270 in the morning, the check engine light turn on and the ABS light flashing and the transmission going to neutral and stop working, cannot accelerate the car just slow down on the highway, I turn my signal light to right and let it decelerated to the right lane.at my back was a truck its good that the driver of the truck was able to slow down if not my Jetta will be rear ended crush. Let the engine cool down and restart it and drove home quickly. I use my vag scanner on engine code I got 049409 and on ABS 01315 both about transmission module lost communications. Inside the dsg its the mechatronic unit failure. I check with VW dealer the mechatronic is out of warranty no extension too.anyway I bought the mechatronic and fluids replaces it and do the basic settings. The car is safe to drive again.this is a safety issue VW should have a recall on this mechatronic failure. In australia and in asia country they have recall too.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Feb 032014

Jetta

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that the gears were difficult to shift and the vehicle jerked. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 09V333000 (power train). The VIN was not included in the recall. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Roxboro, NC, USA

Dec 032014

Jetta

2009 Volkswagen Jetta tdi with dsg transmission with 67,000miles while accelerating to roadway speed the vehicle began hesitating followed by a dramatic loss of power and struggled to accelerate at all. Glow plug light began flashing and check engine light came on after about 1 minute. Dramatic loss of power could have resulted in crash. Volkswagen dealer diagnosed the issue as a defective crank shaft position sensor which could only be replaced at a cost of over $2,000 due to the in accessibility of the sensor and needing to uninstall and re-install the engine.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Aug 082014

Jetta 4-cyl

The turbocharger failed at low speed. There was a loud whining/howling sound. The cost of repair was $2,566.64.

- Calera, AL, USA

Jul 172014

Jetta 4-cyl

Was turning right onto a backroad, shifting from gears 1 to gear 2 hitting 22 mph. Lost all acceleration, had to pull over and turn vehicle off, smell of smoke but no visual, let vehicle sit, checked oil, coolants, all perfect. Smell went away, attempted to start vehicle with hood open, checked engine with vehicle on, movement of 1-2 inches from engine rocking severely. Turned vehicle off, towed to dealership.

- Murray, UT, USA

Nov 252013

Jetta

VW Jetta reverse / forward action error. Malfunction of car electronics / mechanics causing sudden acceleration and surging.

- Pleasant Hill, CA, USA