2009 Volkswagen Jetta fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta:

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Aug 212012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Started my car for the second time that day, nothing out of the ordinary. About a mile away I experienced the car shutting down. I downshifted into second, turned back on but when I gave it gas it sputtered. I was on the side of the road for 1.5hrs waiting for tow truck. Mechanics computer describes the problem as low fuel pressure.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 162012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

While driving at 50 mph, my vehicle stopped accelerating and RPM would not increase above 2000rpm. The glow plug and check engine warning lights both came on. This almost resulted in an accident. I avoided being hit by a large truck while I was stalled in the center lane of a highway. I had my vehicle taken to the dealership for repair. The dealership replaced the fuel rail switch, but the same issue occurred in June 2012, July 2012, and August 2012. This appears to be an issue related to the hpfp (fuel pump). I am not very satisfied with the VW dealership's inability to correct this issue. I lose fuel pressure on a regular basis which causes safety concerns while merging into traffic.

- Birmingham, MI, USA

Jul 192012

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that the vehicle made a loud buzzing noise with the illumination of the instrument panel warning lights. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the fuel pump failed. The failure mileage was not available.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Aug 052012

While leaving a concert, the vehicle was fine leaving the parking lot. Once we increased speeds to 45 mph, the engine completely shut down. The dials on the dashboard all fell to zero and the gas pedel no longer worked. We coasted into a small campground area off to the side of the road. After trying to restart the car three times, it finally started and we proceeded to go down the road, only to make it 500 more yards and pulled in to a hay stack pad. After numerous attempts to start while sitting on the phone wiht our insurance company, the car started once and died after sitting idle for three minutes. We then attempted to start it one last time and drove 25 mph to the nearest gas station. We all got out of the car, locked it up thinking it may have something to do with an antitheft feature. We got back in the car and were able to drive 41 miles home at hiway speeds. The following day we drove 5 miles into town and it died again going 25 mph. The closest volkswagon is another 25 miles away.

- Ellensburg, WA, USA

Jul 192012

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact was driving 45 mph when the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the high pressure diesel fuel pump failed. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle was traded due to the defect. The failure and current mileages were 111,000.

- Niceville, FL, USA

Jul 232012

Driving at low speed in the city, when a engine failure warning displayed and the vehicle started running rough. Took it to the dealership and was told that the high pressure fuel pump failed sending metal shards throughout the fuel system. This has apparently triggered replacement of the entire fuel system from the pump to the engine. After researching this online, I have found that this is a known issue. To my knowledge the hpfp's have not been recalled. VW and your website so far states that the problem is a fuel contamination issue, but I have only bought diesel from murphy usa I confirmed this with receipts. ( a high volume dealer in my area). The dealership states that the repair should be covered even though the warranty has expired. This is suspect to me. Either our fuel standards are not par with the rest of the world and need further regulation or the pumps need to be recalled. But a car designed to save money by conserving fuel is not doing that if the 27000 dollar car needs 10000 dollars of work.

- Kilgore, TX, USA

Mar 232012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Driving vehicle then loss of all power. High pressure fuel pump failure.

- Kenilworth, NJ, USA

Jul 072012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Vehicle is a 2009 Jetta sedan - tdi (diesel) vehicle shut down while driving. Flow plug light flashed on dash along with display of "engine fault workshop" vehicle would not restart. Pulled code of P0087 fuel rail/system pressure low. Towed to dealer, boucher VW in franklin, wi. Dealer confirmed fault was a high-pressure fuel pump failure.

- Wind Lake, WI, USA

May 042012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I was going down the road at approximately 45 mph, the engine lost power and stalled. I was able to pull to the side of the road, then have it towed. My spouse is an engine machinist, and after talking to a Volkswagen dealership, and taking the car apart, found metal shavings throughout the fuel system. So far, he has spent $3200 for parts which has depleted our saving account. He is self employed and I work part time and part time student, paying $400 a month for a car we thought would be safe, dependable and economical! this is clearly a safety issue, documented for over 2 years with no responsibility taken by VW, who has falsely denied any ongoing issue of this sort. Fortunately, my husband can do the labor, but people are spending $8,000 to $10,000 to get this VW problem fixed, and in some cases has happened again. This high pressure fuel system is faulty and unsafe. VW needs to take responsibility for their product to ensure customer safety on the roadways.

- Scio, OH, USA

May 272012

Jetta 4-cyl

This is a VW Jetta 2009 tdi with 74,200 miles. I have been the only owner. Vehicle suddenly lost power and black smoke came from exhaust, red lights on dashboard came on with error message "engine failure". technician at VW dealer found the turbo charger had an internal failure. The faulty turbo pumped oil throughout the exhaust system into the cat converters, and hoses. All would need to be replaced and costs $7,200.

- New York, NY, USA

May 292012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

For the second time my fuel pump went out. Also for the second time I was accused of using bio diesel or regular fuel by the dealer. I was driving a long it sounded like a gear was tumbling around then a grinding noise followed. Luckily I was a low rate of speed and was able to pull off to a side street with out problem. Last week the gear box went out as well. It had issues on going in to reverse from drive. Often I would have to put the car in to park turn it off then restart to get it to go in to reverse.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

May 042012

Vehicle stalled without warning in the middle of an intersection during Friday afternoon rush hour traffic and would not restart, nearly causing multiple accidents. Dashboard briefly flashed "engine malfunction workshop" and the glow plug light illuminated prior to failure. Had vehicle towed to jim ellis VW in chamblee, ga for diagnosis. Dealership called with a diagnosis of a failed high pressure fuel pump and stated that the entire fuel system would need to be replaced due to metal shavings found throughout the system. Advised that repairs would not be covered under existing 5-year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty, claiming that the fuel system was somehow exempt from warranty coverage, and estimated $8700 to fix the car. I called Volkswagen of America to report the incident and question why the manufacturer's warranty would not cover an obvious defect in the car; they eventually agreed to cover the full cost of repairs under warranty. Vehicle was repaired within a week, but is now back at jim ellis VW for further evaluation after the same "engine malfunction workshop" and glow plug light illuminated again only 30 miles after the repairs. Please compel Volkswagen to recall this clearly unsafe vehicle and figure out why their high pressure fuel pumps are failing catastrophically at such high rates around the country.

- Norcross, GA, USA

May 082012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I was driving our 2009 VW Jetta tdi at approximately 60mph and the display flashed engine malfunction and displayed a symbol indicating glow plug problem. The engine felt sluggish so I pulled over to the side of the road. I contacted the local VW dealer and asked if I could still drive it and he told me yes and to bring the car to the dealer the following morning. I pulled back onto the highway, got up to 50mph. Then the vehicle stalled, then died completely. I was barely able to pull off side of highway. We had the car towed to dealer. The dealer inspected the car and explained that the high pressure fuel pump had failed and metal shaving and contaminants were throughout the fuel system and that the entire fuel system will need to be replaced. The car is currently at the dealer awaiting a third party inspection from the warranty company. All required vehicle services have been performed at the required intervals. The diesel fuel injection lines had recently been replaced in March 2012 by the dealer secondary to a recall by VW (V5 23J9).

- Prather , CA, USA