2010 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Jetta:

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 9 of 9)

Aug 022010

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Front doors do not lock manually or automaticlly.

- Groton, CT, USA

Apr 272011

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

While driving at 35mph, car stalled out. Battery light flashed, radio etc stayed on, but car had no power at all. Rolled to next intersection, turned car off, and restarted it. Took it to dealer, they said it was a software update, which they then performed. Aug. 24 exiting I95, 65mph, same thing happens, I pressed the gas and the engine was totally dead. Lights and radio stayed on. Once again I rolled to a stop, and restarted the car. Took it to the dealer, they kept it for an hour and said there was nothing wrong with my car. So I took it to another dealer. After having my car for a week they were able to duplicate my problem. Their computers were hooked up to my car at the time, and showed no faults. So they were back and forth with VW tech support, and they are flying in an engineer, and they think it might be the steering control module malfunctioning. They have had my car for two weeks now, I have no idea when it will be fixed, if ever.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Jul 252011

Jetta

Our 2010 VW Jetta tdi sportwagen unexpectedly stalled shortly after starting last night. The battery light went on, I then turned keys off and on and it was fine. Saw that there were other complaints, so wanted to add mine.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Apr 202010

Jetta

My VW Jetta tdi stalled while coming to a stop sign after the clutch was depressed. It did this occasionally during the first year of ownership. After a year of ownership and a dozen or so incidents, the car started to stall multiple times during a one half-hour commute. Twice recently, once on my way to work and once on my way back, the car stalled two and three times respectively. It even stalled on the highway going 65 mph when the clutch was depressed. Usually, it stalls when coming to a red light or stop sign when the clutch is depressed in order to take the car out of gear. At 12000 miles, the engine light came on and off a few times and then remained on. The diesel particulate filter and egr valve were replaced which is highly unusual for a car with such low mileage. Also, after my 20000 mile service the engine light went on again and the dealer replaced the #4 exhaust gas temperature sensor. Before the 20K service I had called the dealer the day I stalled 3 times and reported my engine light went on. I went to the dealer a few days later, Thursday, for the service and the light had gone out by then. The dealer said there was a software update for the ECM to be done in addition to the regular service. I left the dealer after the 20K service only to have my engine light go on again and the car stall again. So I went back to the dealer and that is when they changed the #4 exhaust gas temperature sensor. It did not sound to me like a proper fix for this problem as I believe it could be either an electronic glitch with the ECM or other electrical components or some fuel system problem whereby fuel flow is interrupted when going from load to no load scenarios, I.e. clutch engaged. Anyhow, I stalled again two miles from the dealer from which I had driven. The dealer says they can't duplicate it or find any codes related to it. They will call VW again.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

May 122011

Jetta

I had come to a full stop and was idling at a red light in a busy intersection when the engine stopped suddenly. No misfiring or rough moments before stopping, just a sudden cut off. I put the engine in park and tried restarting the engine. No success. I put the engine in neutral and got a push to the side of the road. Tried starting the engine several times, in park, with no success. VW called a tow truck. Before accepting a tow I turned the ignition fully off and tried restarting the engine. This time it started. I cancelled the tow. Car is running normally again. This sudden stopping of my engine happened one other time when the car had about 4000 miles on it. I was pulling out of a parking place and the engine shut off as I was pulling forward after just having put it in drive. I restarted the car and a few seconds later the engine started misfiring, but only for a second. Then it ran fine. No further mishaps until May 17, 2011 at 17,500 miles. I notified VW of the mishap when I took it in for it's first check-up. VW said they didn't find anything wrong and didn't know why it happened. I currently have a call in to VW again, but have not yet heard back from them.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Mar 242011

Jetta

Volkswagen 2010 Jetta tdi stationwagon - pulled to stop light and car just shut off - everything all electronics and engine.

- South Harwich, MA, USA

Dec 222010

Jetta

I purchased a 6-speed manual transmission Jetta-tdi at the end of December of 2009. I have been driving manual transmission cars since 1975, and I was upset that my car was stalling either just starting out in first or in the lower RPM range of the lower gears when turning and moving through intersections or trying to go uphill when the rpms were in the lower range. Keeping the rpms up a bit seems to have helped, as I am not having it stall as much as before. I also noticed what seemed like a slight hesitation or jerking when cruising. It would be just for a split second and then be gone my accident occurred when I was parallel parking on a hill. I went to back up a bit to straighten out my car and it stalled, rolling forward into the car parked in front of me. Fortunately, no one was injured. Damage was minor, but was submitted to my insurance company. At this point I was just blaming myself for not being able to adjust to the difference of clutching with a diesel engine because I couldn't figure out how to explain it. Then a heard 2 radio reports about the complaints being filed. I called VW of America who listened to my story. They told me that in order to be compensated for my accident, that I would have needed to have had the car towed immediately to a dealership and had it diagnosed. She suggested that I take it to be diagnosed. I took it to the dealer who kept it for two days and could not find anything wrong. A week later, I was coming to a stop for a red light and the rpms began to fluctuate like it was going to stall and then it would come back to normal rpms. When I started to drive it was a little rough, then smoothed out. I called VW of America who recommended that I take it back to the dealer. I am waiting for them to return my call. I have also 3 intermittent problems with my am radio cutting out--are the problems connected?

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jul 152010

Jetta

Multiple incidents that appear to be the same problem/defect. 1. the car sometimes will not start for several minutes, and once it does finally start, has a very rough idle and stalls. After several tries, it finally starts and runs normally. This has happened 7-8 times from July 2010 until the present. 2. now, over the past two months, the car tries to stall out while driving also, and has resulted in my wife having to pull off the road and restart the car. This has only happened twice so far, but the starting and rough idle problem continues to occur approximately once every couple of weeks. On another note, I want to ensure that if any recalls occur as a result of everybody's complaints, that U.S. military stationed overseas are not left out. Many of us purchase these U.S. spec cars from local dealer agencies who (re)import the cars back to europe for this purpose. Oftentimes recalls are not enforceable overseas, however, this is a Volkswagen and there are plenty of authorized VW dealers in germany, and in europe as a whole.

- Apo, AE, USA

Dec 272010

Jetta 5-cyl

I was driving my 2010 VW Jetta with my husband and 6 yr old daughter, under normal weather conditions approaching an intersection, about to turn left across the intersection when my vehicle just died. It was towed into where I purchased it seeing as it was only 90 days old and they have had it since. There has been no formal diagnosis, I was told it "could be electrical" and some electrical wires were cleaned and replaced.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Nov 282010

Jetta

While driving on interstate, without warning or change of throttle, engine slowed noticeably. Unable to maintain highway speed without high fuel consumption and dangerously slow acceleration. Dashboard light indicated problem with glowplug (diesel engine) and check engine light stayed on. Took to local dealer next day; tech replaced "pressure pipe" (faulty charge pressure sensor on high pressure filter pump) and "flashed" ECM. Engine's acceleration still below what it was prior to event.

- Forest, VA, USA

Oct 112010

Jetta

VW Jetta tdi 2010. On four occasions the car has completely died while moving slowly. (5 to 20 mph) everything in the car stayed on. I had to turn the key off. Place the car in park and restart the car. There was no indication of any problems before or after the car staled out. Nothing in the car turned off or on, except the radio after I turned the key to the off position. Also while driving door locks started to click open and closed at 65 mph. After 10 min of random clicking the doors locked and stayed locked. Airbag light came on while driving. The light went back off after 20 min or so. Has not come back on. Transmission is generally smooth, however at random it is very abrupt, even during gradual or steady acceleration/deceleration. Car has only one driver. Has only ever had correct fuel. Various other electrical problems began at 300 miles. All problems are random. VW continually dismisses me. It is going into shop again on Monday. From the sounds of it they do not expect to do anything to fix the car. Just drive it a few days and see if a problem happens. Car has put me in the middle of intersection with no control.

- Dracut, MA, USA

Jul 012010

Jetta

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving approximately 65 mph she heard a throbbing noise coming from the speakers and all of the interior lights stopped functioning. She was also unable to use the radio. The vehicle was driven onto the emergency lane and shut off. Upon restarting the vehicle it would function normally. The failure continued to occur intermittently. She also stated that she would attempt to change the radio station but the radio would intermittently display a message reading "no cd" or "no magazine". a few months later while driving approximately 10 mph the vehicle stalled. Upon restarting the vehicle it functioned normally. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on 3 occasions where they were unable to diagnose the failures. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 100 and the current mileage was 10,000.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Oct 192010

Jetta

While parking a Jetta 2010, the car was almost stopped then rapidly accelerated. Brake was on, but the car accelerated extremely fast, could not stop the vehicle. The vehicle slammed into a brick wall. The airbags did not deploy.

- Kingston, IL, USA

Oct 102010

Jetta

I bought the 2010 Jetta sportwagen tdi manual recently, and I have noticed that the horn has a about 1 to 2 second delay. This is something unusual especially while driving at highway speeds and you want to warn some other drivers. This unusual situation leads to extra workload and stress. Could become troublesome and hazardous.

- Colonia, NJ, USA

Aug 292010

Jetta

2010 VW Jetta wolfsburg shut down while in operation on a highway while unable to get safely out of the way of traffic. Engine shut of and I was unable to restart the engine with the key. With the car in neutral and in park the engine would not turn over. I eventually removed the key and reinstalled it. At this point the engine turned over and started. Took the car to the VW dealer and it was determined that the ignition control module in the steering column was defective. However it was not a constant failure and the car could stop running at any time. Other defect was the wiper motor stopped operating at approximately 1800 miles. This was also replaced by the dealership.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Aug 262010

Jetta

2010 VW sportwagon dsg stalled at traffic signal. Hd to shift into park and turn ignition off locking steering wheel, and then back on to restart engine.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Jun 012010

Jetta

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact was reversing 5 mph from a residential driveway when the eps and malfunction indicator warning lights illuminated on the dashboard. The dealer advised there was a defect in the electrical wiring and re-routed the wiring. On a separate occasion while attempting to start the vehicle, the steering wheel locked and the contact was unable to turn the key in the ignition. After several attempts, she was able to start the vehicle. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure and there were no repairs. The failure recurred three times. At a later date, while sitting idle with the brake depressed, the vehicle began to roll away. The contact then added more pressure to the brake pedal but the vehicle did not stop. The vehicle was shifted into park but to no avail. The contact then utilized the emergency brake but the vehicle continued to roll, gradually coming to a stop before lightly crashing into another vehicle. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted but would not provide any assistance. The failure mileage and current mileages were approximately 4,500. Updated 11/16/10.

- Oakdale, CA, USA

May 152010

Jetta

2010 Jetta tdi (diesel) - at less than 3,000 miles, the car began stalling when accelerating from a complete stop. This has occurred at least six times. Have to release foot from accelerator and re-apply in order to get car to move ahead; sometimes it takes multiple attempts to get the car to move. Once power is established, the car lurches forward at full power. The car currently has less than 6,500 miles. The stalling has occurred with oncoming traffic heading toward us and creates a very dangerous situation. Car has been to dealership several times for other minor issues, and is currently at dealership undergoing more research and work related to this problem. Another problem which started at around 5,000 miles was when I put the car in gear to drive, I heard a ratcheting-type of sound. This has happened at least three times. Dealer checked this out and advised no problem found.

- Orange Beach, AL, USA

Apr 032010

Jetta

Car's horn takes unusual effort to honk, and there is a one second delay between when the horn is pressed and the sounding of the horn. For instance, the when doing the customary two honks to remind someone nicely to go, the sound only begins well after completion of the second press. This happened since new, at all speeds, on no specific date. (specific date only to complete complaint) dealer says: "as designed because other vehicles on the lot do it too" but will not provide any documentation to state that the horn was designed to have a delay. When horn is needed urgently, difficult to get to work while driving due to effort to depress correctly.

- Boston, MA, USA