CarComplaints.com Notes: VW updated the Jetta's interior and added new features like backup cameras to certain trims. Time will tell if these adjustments start falling apart.

4.0

2013 Volkswagen Jetta engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Volkswagen Jetta:

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 012014

Jetta 5-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while stopped at a stop sign, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable...updated 12/11/14

- Mitchellville , MD, USA

Oct 152014

Jetta

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated while driving approximately 15 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 16,000.

- La Jolla, CA, USA

Oct 112014

Jetta 4-cyl

Vehicle just exited freeway onto exit ramp. While braking from highway speed, at approximately 10-15 mph, there was a loud noise and the engine stalled. Wheels were locked, as if it was stuck in gear. Vehicle skid slightly into intersection on wet pavement. Vehicle was still in drive when car stalled. Vehicle was shifted into park and restarted. No warning lights came on after or before to indicate engine problems. Vehicle was taken to VW dealership for inspection.

- Everett, WA, USA

Nov 022013

Jetta 4-cyl

Transmission started lagging in my manual 2013 VW Jetta S when accelerating after switching into second gear from first gear. After a couple of days the engine seized up and all of the lights came on. Luckily, was just on my way to the dealership for repair and was right around the corner. First repair was 11/2/2013. This happened again 5 days later on 11/7/2013. Got it fixed, started driving home and the problem kicked in again. Had to bring it in on 11/8/2013 for the same repair in less than 12 hours (3rd time in less than a week). The ignition coil was misfiring and the spark plugs kept needing to be replaced. All was well in good until August 26, 2014 when the same problem happened. A week later, the problem came back but now it's more on and off. Will be taking it in again for the same issue for the 5th time now.

- West Hollywood, CA, USA

Jul 102014

Jetta 5-cyl

Was driving when the car suddenly shut off but radio and dash lights were still on almost caused a crash finally got car stopped and started back up fine serious problem needs fixed....

- Celina, OH, USA

Jul 012014

Jetta

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the battery warning light illuminated and the steering wheel seized. In addition, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle and the failure recurred four times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who replaced the control relay device. The failure recurred two weeks after the repairs were performed. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, who was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000. The VIN was not available.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jul 142014

Jetta 5-cyl

Car was driving on the interstate when problems began. When the gas pedal was pushed, the car's tach just revved up with no acceleration. The car began to slow down and we had to pull off the interstate. Upon exiting, the car seemed to be stuck in gear but would not accelerate. We tried switching to sport mode and manual mode but neither made a difference. No warning lights came on. Car struggled to maintain 15mph upon exiting freeway and was limped into a parking lot. This could have caused a very serious crash as vehicle would not accelerate or change gears.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Jul 032013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated while traveling approximately 15 mph, there was a sudden hesitation. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000.

- Corona, CA, USA

Dec 022013

Jetta

Upon take off the car jerks, and U drive the car on interstate under cruise control the car jerks multiple times, the 1st incident and then here recently, driving down the interstate at normal rate of speed car jerks without warning and giving gas at passing a vehicle on interstate it will jerk and act like it will not go will jerk and jerk like it is not getting gas and I had a full tank so I have took the car in number of times and says can't find problem and the representative will drive the car and never happens with them I am about ready to give car back this issue has been going on too long, the car does this with no warning and it will scare U it jerks so hard I have by now got used to this but I am sick of it and needs to be resolved I owned a 2011 Jetta with no problems ever since I have had this one this incident has happened and nobody knows what it is!! maybe ya can help please!! I have been sitting at the dealership letting them check it out for the issue and have heard of others but no one has reported it this could become a issue if the car does not go upon acceleration could cause an accident or death!!

- Locust Fork, AL, USA

Jun 152013

Jetta 5-cyl

While I was driving, the car shut itself off. There were three separate incidents. The dealership kept the car for two weeks and re-programmed the computer after conferring with VW.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Feb 012014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I was driving as normal when the glow plug light began flashing, along with the check engine light and I lost all power.thankfully I was on a residential street, and was able to safely pull over and have the vehicle towed to the dealer. Diagnosis was complete fuel system failure caused by high pressure fuel pump destructing itself and sending metal shards into the system. Initially dealer suspected contaminated diesel. Upon analysis of fuel dealer confirmed that only diesel was present in the system and the damage was caused by a faulty high pressure fuel pump. As a result of this all fuel system parts are having to be replaced including injectors, hpfp, lift pump, fuel lines etc etc. VW is covering repairs under warranty as they should, but clearly the ongoing issue of hpfp failures in VW tdis has not yet been fully resolved.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Dec 172013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I was driving the car approximately 40 miles per hour on a straight road, when all of the sudden the engine lost power and I started coasting in the middle of traffic. I would press the gas and the engine would rev, but no power would be delivered. It was unlike anything I've experienced before with the car. It was like I was in a false neutral, the rpms would increase but the car would not accelerate when I was pressing the gas pedal. Since the car would not regain power, I was forced to coast to a halt in traffic. When I tried to remove my key to power down the car, it would not let me take the key out of the transmission. It was as if the car thought that the transmission was not yet in park even though it was. After a few seconds I was able to remove my key, when I turned the car back on, the problem seemed to go away.

- Fargo, ND, USA

Aug 202013

Jetta 4-cyl

This past may, we bought a VW Jetta gli at jennings Volkswagen (glenview, il) for our sons last year of college. The car looked great and he loved it. At about 1000 miles, while he was driving with his friends, the car had a sudden loss of power and a sudden engine shutdown. Luckily, he was crossing a parking lot so he waited until it restarted. We made no big deal of it and took it to jennings where they did not find anything. Then, just last week, at 3000 miles, the same happened while he was driving with our daughter in the car on West lake avenue. This time, we were concerned, since this happened during rush hour in a congested street. We worried now, since this was the second time this had happened. Our son drives to the city on a daily basis to attend school and he takes the highway. What if that had happened on the highway and a truck had been behind him? it could have been disastrous. We did some research and found out that there has been a fatal accident in australia with another VW, with the same type of transmission, experiencing sudden engine shutdown on the highway. There has been a recall of certain of these cars in china, Japan, and australia for similar issues so we are really concerned. Our son took the car to jennings again, and was sent home with a rental car while they looked into the issue. They apparently did various driving and mechanical tests and could not reproduce the scenario, since apparently the cars computer had not registered any of the failures. The car dealership refused to buy back or replace the car.

- Glenview, IL, USA

Jul 122013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

We were traveling in center lane on I-75 in fl doing 70 mph. Dash light indicator showed double circle error light. Engine quit and car lost all power. Coasted to breakdown lane.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Apr 192013

Jetta 4-cyl

Jetta hybrid. Loss of traction while ascending steep driveway. Never happened before even with another hybrid.

- Lafayette, CA, USA

Apr 092013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Based upon my own personal experience and other owners comments found on the the web, there appears to be an issue with various exhaust leaks on late model Jetta tdi's which allows dangerous diesel sulfur fumes to enter the cabin.

- Oceanside, CA, USA