CarComplaints.com Notes: VW updated the Jetta's interior and added new features like backup cameras to certain trims. Time will tell if these adjustments start falling apart.

4.0

2013 Volkswagen Jetta engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Volkswagen Jetta:

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 122016

Jetta

A failed tensioner causing the timing chain to snap and bend the valves.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Oct 012016

Jetta

While driving through high wind, the driver side mirror plastic protector fell off. The ac unit needed complete replacement costing 1600 and now the ideal while turning on car is very high. Sound almost like it did when I had to take it in for the electrical recall in the last years. Doors are squeak when opening and closing. And while driving a noise that sound like chains rattles through out the car which is a very irritating sound.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Sep 152016

Jetta

Driving on interstate. Lost power. Went from 70 to 25 mph almost instantly. Limped along berm to exit 2.5 miles. Shut off engine. Restarted engine. Loud clattering sound. Shut off engine as smoke rolled from under hood. Turbo failure. No warning lights leading up to event. Dealer has photos.

- Hurricane, WV, USA

Aug 032016

Jetta

My car displays no problems on the dash, there are no lights on but when I am driving the car stalls and sometimes just shuts off locking my brakes and steering. Usually happens when the car is going under 20mph. After it shuts of I have to put it in park to restart and it restarts without a problem.

- Eagle Mountain, UT, USA

Jul 312016

Jetta

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving at a low speed, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted and the failure recurred two more times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14E007000 (engine and engine cooling). The failure mileage was 45,600.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Jul 202016

- San Clemente, CA, USA

May 022016

Faulty engine coil

- Bronx, NY, USA

Mar 092016

Jetta

I was driving on the highway, ,and the glow plug light started flashing, then the engine light came on and I lost all power to the car. I was able to coast to the shoulder without being hit by another vehicle. The dealership found the intercooler and the charge air pressure sensor needed replacement because it had snow and ice on it, and shorted out the sensor which in turn fried all the wiring. I notified VW as to the problem, they told me due to outside influence they would not cover this service. It cost $1342 for the repair.

- Howell, MI, USA

Oct 152013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that when the ignition was turned to the on position, the vehicle failed to start. When the ignition was turned to the off position and back to the on position, the engine started and stalled. The engine restarted after 20 minutes. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that there was moisture in the inner cooling system and it needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred six months later. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 24,796.

- Sheffield, VT, USA

Jan 072016

Jetta

1/7/2016.clear morning, 25 degrees out, started vehicle, warmed up for 20 minutes before getting ready to leave. Drove car to end of street when car engine started to sound like it was out of oil and it stalled. Brought to local VW dealer, was told that intercooler cracked from ice build up and that one glow plug was damaged as a chunk of ice entered one engine cylinder. Was quoted $1200 dollar repair not covered by VW even though a tsb has been in effect with an improved intercooler replacment. This has been a problem with VW since their 2009 model year. My family also owns another 2013 VW with only 26,000 miles and it has experienced similar symptoms described by hundreds of complaints on VW forums of not starting or stalling when put in gear or at a stop light, possible indications of icing in the intercooler system. Was told from the dealer the only way the intercooler gets replaced under warranty is after it freezes and engine damage occurs and only if it occurs before 36,000 miles. I have read where engine damage from ice build up in the turbo intercooler system has cost owners over $6000 in repairs if occurs after the warranty expires. That means VW owners pay roughly 25% of the msrp of the vehicle if the intercooler ices up significantly, which the manufacturer admits could result from normal operation. Reading numerous complaints of engines known to hydro-lock at freeway speeds whereby driver lose the ability to safely operate the vehicle is a hazard that endangers anyone near this vehicle when an ice chunk stops the engine abruptly. Since the manufacturer has developed a cold weather kit for dealers to install with specific procedures for repair it should be classified as a recall when there is no warning if and when the car might stop running which could result in death depending on when the intercooler icing occurs and the car stops moving.

- Norwich, CT, USA

Jan 042016

Jetta

The check engine light came on at the same time that the car began to slip or hesitate especially in low gears or when accelerating. Our 18 year old daughter was driving to work when the vehicle went from operational to this condition. Shortly after, the epc indicator came on and the car slipping became more of a jolt, car unable to accelerate and it felt very much like it would stall. We were able to safety get it to the dealer for service where we were provided with a 30,000 mile check up (car has 24K miles) and were told it was just an electrical issue, needed a reset. Engine light came back on as I left the dealership, with the same jolting and hesitation. Upon second visit to the service department, I was informed that the there was a crack in the ignition coil, causing misfire of the spark plugs.

- Foothill Ranch, CA, USA

Dec 032015

Mass airflow sensor failure

- Eagle Mountain, UT, USA

Nov 042015

Jetta

This vehicle doesn't run correctly it refuses to move while in driving

- North Ridgeville, OH, USA

Jul 302015

Jetta

The problem showing error code P0087, P0387 high pressure fuel pump failure, the cost of expensive to repair, difficult to meet warranty related power-train & engine. It has been twoce break down. Its third break down. It only 62K mileages on it. VW want to working on it due of out of warranty cost. I am not happy that VW is not qualify to inspect part problem cause. I hope it is affect other customers who have simply problem with hpfp.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Jun 282015

Jetta

My car is a VW Jetta tdi 2013, 95,000 miles, not even 3 years old, got it brand new. I started to drive away after doing some shopping. As I was leaving the parking lot, the car stalled. The check engine light came up and so did the glow plug light. The car did not start again after several attempts. I had it towed to the shop. The day after, I was told that the fuel pump had disintegrated due to the internal heat. When doing so, all the debris went inside the fuel system and engine. In order to repair it, the VW car dealer said they had to open all the system and flush it to clean everything and they would charge several thousand dollars to fix that. Although I was not happy with their diagnostic and price, I had to do it. I need the car to get around to go to work. I told the car dealer that this incident was not normal. They said that they did not know what caused it. I have done all the service and maintenance as suggested by the manufacturer. On the other side, it just happened that last week, VW issued an extended warranty for up to 120,000 miles for the fuel pump for diesel cars years 2011 and 2012. I called them and they said that they could not cover the 2013. Obviously, they know something was wrong with those previous models. I think they should include this problem and extend the fuel pump warranty for this car as well and -in this case, cover for the thousands of dollars that this is going to cost me for having a "faulty pump". updated 11/12/15

- Poplar Grove, IL, USA

Mar 052014

Jetta 5-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving 30-60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle would shake violently when the failure occurred. In addition, the contact stated that the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on over to occasions where the failure was unable to be replicated. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14E007000 (engine and engine cooling). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000. Updated 09/02/15 the consumer stated the vehicle continues to stall out at various speeds and places. Updated 12/7/2015

- Belleair, FL, USA

Jun 212013

Jetta

There have been many issues with this model but the one I am having more issues with, are the head lamps and/or fuses. In October of 2014, my left side low beam stopped working, I bought 2 bulbs so it could be replaced and then it wasn't the bulb, it was a fuse. In January 2015, the left side bulb stopped working again, I took it to the dealer because I couldn't find any fuse that was blown on my own, this time it was the bulb. Now it is the right side low beam that isn't working. I am not sure what is going on but I have another car that is 20 years old and I have replaced the bulbs only 1 time. When I first bought this car in June of 2013, I had it less than one month and while going across a rail road crossing, the car shut off completely. After tests, they said that it showed nothing and then it happened again and still nothing was found. The seat belt sign comes on for the right front seat because of a sensor when no one is in it. The trunk has a delay on it and takes a while to open. The gas mileage is not at all what it claims either. I get at the most 32-34 mpg and 99% of my driving is on the interstate. I didn't get any extended coverage on it because everyone says that they are great cars, well unless something is done to fix the issues that they have, they will never get another buy from me or the hundreds of people I know and all the ones that read the reviews.

- Adairsville, GA, USA

Mar 132015

Jetta 4-cyl

While driving my 2013 Volkswagen Jetta gli, a part fell down by my feet hitting my foot. Once parked, the part numbered 1K0953527D was found on the drivers side floor mat. I called my local dealership where I had bought the car (new) and sent them a picture of the part. They said they believed it controlled the column lock while in park, however my wheel still locked in park with the part not in place. The next day, while driving in an alley, my bumped my key chain while scooting forward in my seat and my car turn off, not allowing me to turn it back on until it finally came to a stop and I was able to put it in park. The service team had their most experienced team member on hand open the steering column and said that the part must have fell out; for reasons not known. They also said there was no indication of tampering.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 142014

Jetta

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that when making a left turn at 20 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart and functioned as normal. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,500.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 312014

Jetta 4-cyl

I bought this car new in Sept. 2013 for its fuel mileage, also because of the efficiency of the tdi. Now at 50,000 mis., I have a check engine light on and a code of P047F, which means I have a diesel particulate filter clogged and it has to be replaced. This is a $1000 part. Luckily, my car is covered by the carb warranty of ca. But this should not happen this fast. I have done all recommended services at the proper intervals with VW approved fluids and filters. Because my car was past the 3yr/36K warranty, but has a 8yr/80K powertrain warranty, I called VW to see if this is covered. The first call, they told me no. I then started checking tdi forums for this issue and found that it was a common problem. I then called back to "push the issue" which was when I found out that I was covered under the carb warranty.how many people call the first time and get the same answer as I did, then have to pay $1000 plus labor to fix this" also, what good is the tdi if it costs this much to maintain"

- Delta, PA, USA