1.5

2002 Volkswagen Passat fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Passat:

2002 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Aug 032016

Passat

The contact owns a 2002 Volkswagen Passat. The contact stated that the vehicle leaked fuel without warning. The vehicle was serviced per NHTSA campaign number: 08V156000 (fuel system), but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The contact stated that the ventilation valve was fractured and caused fuel to leak. Also, the tank only leaked when it was more than half full. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 110,000.

- Saddle Brook, NJ, USA

Aug 052016

Passat

The contact owns a 2002 Volkswagen Passat. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a fuel leak. Upon further inspection, the contact noticed that the fuel leak originated near the rear of the exhaust. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was confirmed that there was a fuel leak in the vehicle coming from the top of the fuel tank. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 08V156000 (fuel system, gasoline); however, the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was approximately 130,000.

- Saddle Brook, NJ, USA

Jul 272016

Passat

Report receipt date: Apr 07, 2008 NHTSA campaign number: 08V156000 component(s): Fuel system, gasoline when fuel tank is more than 3/4 fuel a fuel smell appears inside the vehicle. A prior recall was done for a heat shield, fuel line and 4motion fuel tank vent valve for inspection and replace as needed. These seem to fail again. Most dealers mark recall as performed without a leak and when the leak actually occurs they try to deny the issue as performed already. This needs to be addressed so that owners of lower mileage vehicles ( under 150000) can get the repair fixed under a recall that has been on the vehicle prior.

- Bassett, VA, USA

Feb 102016

Passat

I started my car and proceeded to drive down around city streets for about 5 minutes. I was going speed limit(25-30 mph) during a cool night(60). I stopped at a red light and then my temperature gauge spiked(car was slightly below normal temperature prior(190; according to gauge); this gauge spike was followed by a battery indicator light which simultaneously cut off my engine. My car became immobile and I lost brake and steering function. However, my radio and car lights still worked! luckily there was no surrounding cars and my parking brake was functional. I then turned off the car, waited a few minutes and attempted to turn over the engine once more. It did start however I am worried this may happen again under less forgiving circumstances.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Aug 132014

Passat 6-cyl

First time I filled tank fuel full with fuel and fuel tank started to leak. I send the car to Volkswagen dealer nd they found a crack on welded part of the tank, where two parts of the fuel tank are weld together. If fuel tank is less than 3/4 it does not leak but if it is full leak. I call Volkswagen and they told me than the car is two old and with too much of the miles to be covert from any recall so they will not pay for fuel tank replacment and they do not support the safety of any car above 100,000 miles are older than 10 years. I payed $2154 for the replacement of the fuel tank. Dealer gave to me the cracked tank, I asked for it, and I have it I my garage.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Sep 022014

Passat

The fuel is leaking when the tank is full, happened the two last time I fill the tank, when the tank is half not leak.

- Clarks Summit, PA, USA

Mar 062013

Passat 6-cyl

After filling my vehicles gas tank and I was smelling a potent gas odor and it went away after a few miles. When arrived at my hotel as I was away on business, I parked the vehicle for the night. The next morning when I woke up there was a large puddle of fuel under the rear of my car. I can no longer fill the tank more than half way or this same issue happens. I saw that there was a recall and I was never informed of the recall by the manufacturer, I would like to have this issue resolved with no out of pocket costs to me.

- Sparkill, NY, USA

Jul 162012

Passat

The contact owns a 2002 Volkswagen Passat. The contact stated that the check engine warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who inspected the vehicle and stated that there was a small fuel leak on the filler neck. The vehicle was included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number: 02V026000 (fuel system, gasoline:storage:tank assembly:filler pipe and cap); however at time of inspection, there was no fuel leak. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but stated that the statute of limitations for the recall had passed. The failure and current mileages were 90,000.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 112012

Passat 8-cyl

I bought a Volkswagen Passat 2002 from a local dealer. The vehicle came with no warranty. The day I got the vehicle I filled the car with full tank of gasoline. I parked the car outside my apartment and next day when I checked there was gas leaking from the car. This happened like for 4 days and when the fuel in the car reduced to half of the fuel tank capacity it stopped. I thought it should be some sort of leak which stopped by itself. But next time when I did a full tank re fill again the gasoline started leaking. Even this time it stopped after the fuel in the car reduced to half the tank level. I called up Volkswagen customer care to get this fuel tank replaced as per NHTSA action number : PE08008. They told the fuel tank was replaced in June 2011. Its just a year and again it is happening the same. They didn't give me the information were it was replaced and told it has crossed 1 year of warranty period and they cant help. But here it just 11 days from June 2011 and the fuel tank was spoil yet again. I request you to take this appeal of mine and get this fuel tank replaced for me. This is a matter of safety. If it was something else I wouldn't have worried but here this is fuel leaking from fuel tank. Small burst of fire or spark inside or outside the car can be very dangerous. Even the leaking fuel mite get ignited while the car is traveling for a longer period in summer due to heat.

- Plymouth, MN, USA