2002 Volkswagen Passat fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Passat:

2002 Volkswagen Passat Owner Comments

Jul 142011

My fuel tank is leaking for the 2nd time in 2 years. In 2009, I smelled fuel when the tank was full. I took it to the dealer and they said the tank was cracked and had to be replaced, which I paid for. In 2011, the exact same thing occurred. The dealer is paying for the replacement. This concerns me that there may be a problem with the fuel tanks in the 2002 VW Passat. I'm not sure if this is the same issue that has been reported earlier and sort of recalled under the heat shield problem. If it is the same issue as that, I shouldn't have paid for the repair in 2009. Could you please investigate the fuel tanks...the escape of fuel scares me!

- Vienna, VA, USA