2011 Volkswagen Routan electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Volkswagen Routan:

2011 Volkswagen Routan Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 182016

Recently the van has given me trouble upon startup. The problem is intermittent. Sometimes, it would start fine. Other times, it would take multiple attempts to start the vehicle. Other times, the vehicle would start, then immediately turn itself off. Sometimes, it would be like there wasn't enough charge to turn the starter, and other times, when it would start then die, it felt like it was running out of gas. After much research, I discovered that the totally integrated power module is the culprit of these issues. Specifically, it is the fuel pump relay that can intermittently not turn on, or turn off randomly. It is a well-known issue with these vans and its Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler town N country cousins, upon which the VW Routan is based. Fca has stepped up to the plate, and issued a recall on many of its vehicles for faulty tipm's, but VW seems to want to forget that its customers chose their version over the others. It's a shame, because I like VW. My family drove only VW's during my youth, and that played into my decision to get the Routan. It looks like I won't be purchasing a VW product in the future. This doesn't even mention the other big issue that certain year Routans/Grand Caravan/T&C's can have, which is a complete failure of the front cylinder head. Again, in this case, Chrysler issued an extended warranty on that particular part, but VW made no effort to extend its warranty on those parts. I have called multiple VW service shops in the greater DC area, and none of them have heard of a warranty extension on the cylinder heads. If VW has issued an extension, then they haven't done a very good job of informing dealer service shops, or notifying their customers. It's a huge disappointment. Get your act together VW of America. For those with tipm issues, there is a $40 temporary workaround for sale at

- Bowie, MD, USA

Aug 162016

Car wont start, only sometimes. Just turns over repeatedly, until you turn the key off. Sometimes nothing happens. Sometimes it starts normally. Once it stalled. Usually this happens on the first start, but sometimes it doesn't matter.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Sep 202016

2011 VW routon wouldn't start, hard cranks over several days. The engine would finally start after multiple attempts, but immediately shuts off the power. Took it to VW dealer, performed a complete diagnostic test and was reported that tipm board needs to be replaced at a cost of $1300 plus. A quick google search revealed that VW tipm is a well known problem - but not addressed yet. Very disappointing.

- Oak Hill, VA, USA

Sep 092016

Car wouldn't start, hard cranks over several days. The engine would finally start after multiple attempts. Over the course of 5 days it got worse and worse. Took to mechanic - code said Dodge Caravan R09. My mechanic said it is a common fuel pump relay inside the tipm, and that Chrysler has issued a recall, but VW hasn't. took it to VW dealer, performed and charged me a complete diagnostic test - to tell me the same thing. Called VW corporate - said they were aware of the issue, but it is not a Chrysler and it is a VW rebagged car, and that I am responsible for a $1300 fix. Further issues, is that the part not readily available, and my family of 5 is out of transportation for 5 days. Our 2011 VW has only 61,000 and this is not the first issue. Upon researching it on the internet, I am not the only one with this problem. It is a shame that VW, won't stand behind their product and own up to the fact they have an serious issue.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Sep 072016

In July 2016 our 2011 Routan would not start up immediately. Would sometimes fire up in neutral and sometimes after several trys it would start up in park. After several days we took the battery in to have it checked (after replacing it and the alternator about 6 months ago). Our battery was totally dead. Bought new expensive battery which failed again after a few days. Took car to repair shop and they said no codes came up and starter, battery alternator were all fine. Decided to unhook battery when we weren't using car because something obviously is draining it. That seemed to work but last week while on the interstate the van suddenly cut off completely when slowing down for exit ramp. Managed to pull van to side and not get hit by cars behind us without power steering. Very scary. After several attempts we got it started again. However, this morning it wouldn't start at all. In reading complaints I've found that Dodge Caravan and other models have the exact same problem. The VW Routan was manufactured by Dodge and the same year of 2011 is under investigation for failed tipm boards. Van is 5 years old. Our daughter was in the back of the van when this happened. All power was lost. Has a recall been issued on this part yet? 1200 for fuel pump and then 1300 plus for the tipm board. Are you kidding me! so disappointed in VW. So many problems. Very frustrated customer!! we could have been killed! family of 4 with 1 vehicle and it's not working and only 5 years old. Currently relying on friends for transportation.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Sep 012016

Tipm problem - well known but not addressed. Some Chrysler vehicles have a recall on the tipm. The Routan should as well given that it is based on the Chrysler brand. It is outrageous that I have to pay for this repair. To add insult to injury I have been told that it could take up to 6 days to get the part in-house. We are both working parents with 3 children so this makes our day to day extremely difficult. Some additional references:

- Cumming, GA, USA

Aug 232016

Problem started about 4 weeks ago with car not starting. Would turn over but never crank up/start. Local VW dealer said issue was fuel pump and replaced. Symptoms continued with longer than normal cranking before starting. Sometimes vehicle acts like the battery is dead and will "click" until after multiple attempts it will finally turn over and start. Certain times after having vehicle in reverse and placing into drive it just dies, have to place in park and restart. While slowing for a traffic light, vehicle has hesitated as if to die, but thankfully it has continued. While slowing for a stop, transmission miss shifted into 1st and made a loud bang. Since then at slow speeds if you lifting off the gas the transmission makes loud noises. All of these issues have happened in the last 4 weeks. It has been to the dealership 2 twice and I am awaiting contact via the dealership for a 3 visit in 4 weeks. Since original purchase, I have installed 3 batteries in this vehicle. We have lost all confidence in this vehicle, and find ourselves hoping nothing serious happens if it dies while traveling. This intermittent electrical issue while traveling at speed is a concerning safety issue.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Aug 152016

The vehicle is a rebadged Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Town & Country. The vehicle's computer, the tipm, has defects where components become unsoldered from the board creating problems such as fuel pump running even without the ignition being on, to windows rolling down on their own, etc. Chrysler has recalled some vehicles but not this one.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 262016

Was driving car around 55 mph when the car just turned off and lost all power steering and brakes, engine just cut off without warning. I was able to pull the car over to the side of the road and restart the car. The car was taken to a service station and no codes were found to why the car just stop working.

- Lantana, TX, USA

Jul 202016

While driving all of my gauges began to sporadically move up and down and all of the instrument warning lights came on. The engine surged several times as well. The air conditioner also began to blow hot air. Later, when restarting the vehicle it would not start the first few times attempted. The engine would not turn over or anything. All of the above events keep continually and randomly recurring.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 012016

Classic Chrysler failing tipm symptoms. The VW Routan is made on a Chrysler chassis with a Chrysler engine to include the tipm when trying to start, it will turn over but does not appear to get fuel but will usually start after 3-4 tries. Engine randomly stalls and dies when driving. This has happened on the highway and at slower speeds (very scary on the highway!) after doing on-line search for "VW Routan wont start", hundreds of articles came up referencing the bad tipm but no recalls at this time. Please help!

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 062016

The contact owns a 2011 Volkswagen Routan. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The mechanic was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the failure recurred twice. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Temple, GA, USA

Mar 022016

Van has been having hard time starting when cold battery 3 months old. Vehicle has shut off while driving also. Took to dealer they stated battery is worn out. Got new battery and they ran diagnostic came back fuel pump not shutting off when vehicle is off drawing large load from battery. They stated the tipm is bad which is 1400 dollars. This is a reoccurring problem on these vehicles which are also branded as Chrysler town and country they need to do a recall.

- Albany, OR, USA

Nov 132015

I own a 2011 Volkswagen Routan. I bought it in August of 2014 with 50,000 miles. In November 2015, the vehicle started having issues. Every once in a while when starting the vehicle the engine would crank but not start. Then would start right up the second try. This problem got worse within a short amount of time. It took several tries to start. I took it in to my local VW dealership where they diagnosed it to be a timp failure. I got the vehicle repaired costing me $1028.17. It had 69,000 miles at the time of repair. After doing research on this issue I have found there to be several other complaints with the same issue. This needs to be a recall!!!! since this is the same vehicle as the Chrysler town and country that happens to have the same problem and has a recall for the timp module. Also the brakes suck! my husband replaced them shortly after we got the vehicle and need replacing again.

- Mesquite, NV, USA

Feb 142016

The van will shut off without warning. This most recent time I was driving at about 63 mph with cruise control on. I notice the van shake, the cruise control disengaged and the vehicle slowed to a stop. The same thing happend about 1 year ago. VW changed out some parts and said it was fixed. Judging from the threads I'm reading it's a prevalent problem that they have not properly addressed. The van is at the dealer this morning...I'm waiting for diagnostics results

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 312012

Intermittent starts an stops turn key won`T start sometimes trouble started in 2012 took it to shop didn`T act up for them said nothing was wrong so I sort of lived with it it always started after a few tries but latley it start turning off while im driving went to dealer told me they never heard of such a thing happening I tcame home an googled it there were 2 recalls for that reason for 2009 AN2010 vans I believe they out right lied to me apparently the first quick fix recall got put in my van please help me I`ve had 2 close calls on the highway when it died while merging on to a highway it`S the only van I got an need it for work I live paycheck to paycheck I emailed Volkswagen an got no response there to busy with there deisel recall to bother with me the phone wait was over an hour so I hung up I sure my van is not to only one with issue my wife`S hair girl traded her van off because they wouldn`T fix it this a dangerous issue

- Streator, IL, USA

Dec 222015

I purchased this van in 2012 with 10,000 miles. In December 2015 with approximately 75,000 miles, the fuel pump will not activate and/or will stay on once van is turned off. The engine has begun to stutter while traveling. If the fuel pump relay is bypassed, the problem is resolved. I was instructed by dealer service center once the problem is diagnosed and it is the fuel pump relay, the only repair would be to replace the tipm.

- Cumming, GA, USA

May 122015

The contact owns a 2011 Volkswagen Routan. The contact stated that the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the battery needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but began stalling while driving approximately 55 mph. When the failure occurred, all the vehicle's warning indicators flashed. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the totally integrated power module was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 55,000.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Oct 012015

I own a 2011 Volkswagen Routan. When the ignition was turned to the on position, the vehicle did not start. After several attempts the vehicle did start and while the contact was driving at various speeds, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle did restart. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that there was an electrical malfunction with the ignition and the ignition and sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage is approximately 45,000.

- Corona, CA, USA

Oct 102015

The contact owns a 2011 Volkswagen Routan. The contact stated that when the ignition was turned to the on position, the vehicle did not start. After several attempts, the vehicle restarted. Additionally, while driving various speeds, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle did restart. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that there was an electrical failure with the ignition as a result the ignition and the sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 69,000.

- Elmwood Park, IL, USA