2004 Volkswagen Touareg electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Volkswagen Touareg:

2004 Volkswagen Touareg Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 132004

Touareg 4WD 8-cyl

2004 VW Touareg, in the first year of ownership the car has been in the shop or in alarm mode for 220 days. I have had the car in eight times for a "tire scrubbing" problem and three times for an alarm problem. I have noe filed a law suit and sold the car without ever hearing any concerns from VW.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Nov 152004

Touareg 6-cyl

1.the clock on the dashboard: The time is running almost 1 minute faster per day. If you don't fix it for 10 days, it would run 10 minutes ahead. 2.the driver's seat: When I purchased this car, I asked for power seats but the dealer didn't have it. I was a little uncomfortable with the manual seat, but the sales person convinced me, so I decided to take the one with manual. Since then, I've felt that the driver's seat is always sinking down so I consistently have to pull up the stick to push up the seat quite often while I'm driving. 3.rear seat: I had to fold the rear seat once to load something in the back. After, I tried to unfold the seat but it didn't go back. I brought this car to the dealer's service on Nov. 15th, 2004. While one of the service persons was trying to unfold the rear seat, he had to cut the seat belt and has scratched the seat and broken some piece on the seat. He said he's going to order some parts and it would take a few days. Ever since then, nobody knows the status of this order. Both the service dept and the "customer care" dept, in headquarters have always been telling me "it's on backorder" with "no further information", and they "don't know when" for last six months. I asked them "if you don't have the part, even in germany, how long will it take for the manufacturer to make the part?" and they keep saying is "don't know" and "we are still checking the status of the part everyday." In a common sense, the period of four months should be enough time to make the part and ship it to the dealer. I also sent a complaint letter to the CEO of the dealer/mckenna & VW North America headquater a couple of months ago. But still they don't know about the part.

- Brea, CA, USA

Apr 202005

Touareg 8-cyl

The radio display system (displays radio station info, song title, and artist) quit working. The dealer has reconnected the radio and replaced the radio. Each time it works fine for a few hours after returning home then it quits displaying information. The dealer said the radio isn't designed to display this info, yet it worked for a month after getting the vehicle! it works on my other car. The radio is the upgrade monsoon system with cd.

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Dec 232004

Touareg 4WD 6-cyl

My 2004 Touareg with less than 5000 miles has been in for servicing 7 times. The brakes have been worked on and looked at three times. They still squeal but the problem has lessened. Of more concern are the safety issues that have affected me. I have been locked out of my vehicle twice, each time with a different resolution. Updated software was the latest fix. My airbag fault light is now on. Another software resolution is on the way. I have no confidence in the quality or safety of this vehicle or when the next issue will arise. Volkswagen told me my car was not problematic and I had "buyers remorse". I am in awe of their lack of concern especially when I know I am not the only Touareg owner out there with problems.

- Princeton Jct, NJ, USA

Oct 152004

Touareg 6-cyl

Intermittently, the factory entry remote controller fails to function. The doors have to be opened manually. The system regenerates itself when the keys is turned in the ignition. The dealership inspected the system and installed a new battery. The failure still occurs.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Feb 102005

Touareg 4WD 6-cyl

Continuous failures of the electronic system leading to: 1) sporadic failure of turn signals (blinking at the same time on both sides) sending wrong messages to other traffic participants about drivers intentions. 2) requiring numerous efforts to open car doors (driver's door, key being removed form ignition lock). In a case of emergency this can lead to severe consequences; in daily use it can cause panic. 3) computer setting to "all doors open, tailgate open" changes by itself to single door open. (no hazard by itself but proof that the electronic system fails).

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Dec 282004

Touareg 8-cyl

On two occasions my 2004 Volkswagen Touareg V-8 experienced complete electrical system failures. The vehicle would not start on these two occasions. There was no electrical power as if the battery were completely depleted. I did not cause any electrical/battery drain, I.e. leaving on lights or leaving any electrical equipment on. Local VW dealership service conducted an analysis and found several faults stored. But the service adviser said none of the stored faults indicated what caused the complete electrical failure. First incident was April, 2004 and most recent Dec. 28, 2004. I also experienced numerous other electrical and/or computer malfunctions. These malfunctions were related to: All-wheel drive system, drive line system, stability control system, anti-lock brakes, steering input, door locks, interior lighting features, tire pressure monitoring, and keyless remote. All-wheel drive system, drive line system, anti-lock brakes, and steering input malfunctions occurred four total times. Dealer/service could not "duplicate" the problem and no repairs were made. The door locks and interior lighting problems were constant but dealer/service could not "" the problem. The tire pressure monitoring was repaired and has been problem free since March 2004. The keyless remote door lock/unlock was repaired and works better but has not been problem free.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Jan 152004

While driving vehicle stalled. Consumer restarted the vehicle. Also, noticed that the air bag light and check engine light appeared on the dashboard. Vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection. And mechanic determined that the battery needed to be tightened, and that the electrical module needed to be replaced, and he replaced it. However, the problem recurred.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Oct 182003

Touareg 8-cyl

2004 Touareg that has experienced multiple battery failures due to excessive draw. The vehicle cannot be left unattended for more than 3-4 days w/out experiencing battery failure. Has been to VW service on 3 occassions for a total of 40 business days. The car has also experienced multiple tire pressure monitoring system failures which could provide erroneous information directly related to the tire condition. Accordingly, the vehicle iss unreliable, prone to electrical system malfunctions which could impact operator, passenger and other motorist safety.

- Cape Carteret, NC, USA

Oct 282003

The electronic safety program module malfunctioned. As a result, driver lost control of the vehicle while driving 65 mph.

- Palo Alto, CA, USA