NHTSA — Fuel System, Gasoline Problems Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: The 2nd generation XC70 has a transmission issue and the 2003 model year seems to be the worst of it. These are still solidly built and comfortable cars, but if you're looking at buying used you might be better off avoiding the 2003 unless it has already had its transmission replaced.

2003 Volvo XC70 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Volvo XC70:

2003 Volvo XC70 Owner Comments

Jun 062014

The contact owns a 2003 Volvo XC70. The contact stated that the vehicle emitted a fuel odor. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing or repair. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 169,000.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Nov 232013

XC70 5-cyl

I purchased this 2003 Volvo XC70 recently and a few weeks after driving it I noticed a bad smell of gas. I looked around and did not see anything leaking. I kept driving daily and smelled gas every single time the car was on. I became very concerned because I drive with my 6 year old daughter in the car. After some time I noticed that there was a gas leak coming from the passenger side rear and this became a very scary and dangerous situation. I automatically drove to the nearest mechanic shop and got the car looked at. The mechanic told me this is very dangerous and can not be driven because the car can catch fire or even explode. After some research and after hearing back from the mechanic I learned that there is a recall on the fuel pump on this model car and this is exactly the problem. I reached out to Volvo and they tell me that my vehicle does not have a recall and that they will only pay for the part. I have plenty of pictures showing the defect in the fuel pump. I find this ridiculous since they know that this is an issue with these cars. My family and I could have died from being in this car god forbid and now I am stuck with this bill from the mechanic due to Volvo's failure/defect. Volvo is known for having the safest cars in the world which is why I decided to purchase this car for my family, and now I am stuck with a bill for there defect and can not find help or answers.

- Elmhurst, NY, USA

Oct 202009

Overwhelming smell of gasoline, poor starting, brought automobile to Volvo mechanic (since 1976) determined factory Volvo fuel pump was leaking through the housing, gasoline all over back seats, top of gas tank, engine.. same occurred July, 2009 on a 2002 XC70, belonging to my mother, mine is a 2003. Mechanic and self contacted Volvo for defect warranty or recalls as so dangerous. No cooperation from Volvo. I kept the defective part after replacing.

- Aliso Viejo, CA, USA