2019 Acura RDX engine NHTSA complaints: Engine

NHTSA — Engine Problems

2019 Acura RDX (Page 1 of 2)

7.6

2019 Acura RDX engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2019 Acura RDX:

2019 Acura RDX Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 242019

RDX

TL the contact owns a 2019 Acura Rdx. While driving, all the warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle and drive normally; however, the instrument panel seized. The vehicle was taken to paragon Acura (56-02 northern blvd, woodside, NY 11377, (347) 862-9539) where it was reprogrammed; however, the failure recurred five times. The vehicle was taken back to the same dealer where an update was completed. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure continued. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 500.

- Corona, NY, USA

Oct 302019

RDX

On October 30, 2019, I was passing a dump truck on rt. 539 in New Jersey, I had just accelerated to complete the pass. As I was completing the pass, the engine lost power and the engine malfunction light began blinking, I've been told the vehicle went into limp mode. The car decelerated and would not go over 20 mph. I was quickly able to pull onto the shoulder to avoid being hit by the truck I just passed. Once in the shoulder, I turned the vehicle off. When I turned the vehicle back on, the engine malfunction light was no longer flashing and the car resumed normal operations. I contacted the local Acura dealership. The dealership kept the vehicle from October 30 until November 1, I was told that there were no stored codes on the vehicle. The vehicle was test driven for 60 miles, the dealer was unable to duplicate the issue. The vehicle was returned to me, I was informed if the issue occurs again to bring it back. This vehicle had approximately 10,500 miles on it at the time of the incident. This is a very dangerous problem, I narrowly avoided being in a car accident.

- Tuckerton, NJ, USA

Feb 112019

RDX

Car goes into "limp mode" and loses all engine power at highway speeds. Has happened 4 times, twice putting my safety in jeopardy. The first time it happened I was accelerating onto the highway. I pulled over and restarted the vehicle, attributing it to a one time glitch. It happened the second time when I was attempting to pass another vehicle on the highway. I called the dealership and they advised me to restart the vehicle and drive into their shop. The third time it happened I was accelerating onto a highway from the on ramp. I called and left a message for the dealership. The fourth time it happened I was attempting to pass a semi truck in a construction zone. My Rdx lost all engine power and I was forced to turn on the flashing emergency lights and coast until I reached the end of the construction zone. Acura has repeatedly denied the existence of this problem and told me I was the only one experiencing this issue. The approximately 20 complaints filed with the NHTSA indicate otherwise. Acura has refused to resolve this issue, claiming they cannot duplicate it. A recall should be instituted before someone is injured or killed by this serious safety issue.

- Sylvania, OH, USA

Oct 162019

RDX

On Wednesday, Oct 16, 2019, I was driving this Rdx for about 2 hours, and was going South on N Carolina rt #171 in a steady rain on a flat road. I drove behind a 18 wheel log truck for 10-15 minutes at 50-55mph before confirming there was no vehicles coming the other way. When it was clear for 1-2 miles, I floored the accelerator to pass the log truck. The Rdx leaped forward at first, but halfway past the log truck the vehicle lost power and slowed to 35-40 mph or so (maybe slower, as I am guessing--- I was not looking at the dash). I was scared that I could not complete my pass of the truck. Fortunately, after 5-10 seconds, the truck driver noticed something was amiss, and he slowed down to let me pass at my slower speed. I pulled off and was grateful for two things. First that no one was coming the other way, as a head on collision could have taken place. Second, that the truck slowed to permit me to pull off on the right shoulder. This took place about 220pm. After pulling to the shoulder, and leaving the Rdx running, I waited for several minutes, and tried to pull forward. The limited power condition remained. And the orange engine symbol continued to appear on the dash. I suspect the orange symbol appeared when I lost power, but I wasn't looking at the dash. After several more minutes, I turned the car off and waited for several more minutes. When the car restarted, the symbol was gone, and regular power had returned. I drove about 100 yards, and then re-entered rt#171 when there was no one coming behind me. The Rdx operated fine then and I completed a 3.5 hour drive to myrtle beach. I drove normal from there to naples fl over the next 5 days with no issues. But, I didn't try to accelerate by depressing the pedal to the floor in the rain. There was a clear safety incident at 220pm Oct 16th..

- Naples, FL, USA

Oct 062019

RDX

On October 6, 2019 I was traveling West on interstate 80 in western Pennsylvania at about 70 mph. Accelerated in the left lane to pass another vehicle when the engine lost power.. pulled over to the shoulder as maximum speed dropped to 40, then 20, then about 10. Check engine light was blinking an engine was running rough. Had car towed to dealer. It is currently being evaluated.

- Broadview Heights, OH, USA

Sep 222019

RDX

Vehicle lost all engine power when accelerating to pass from approx 60 mph. Check engine light came on, pulled to the shoulder and power was still not present until the vehicle was shut off and restarted. Has happened on a few other occasions, very dangerous if passing on a 2 lane highway.

- Lee's Summit, MO, USA

Aug 222019

RDX

While attempting to pass another vehicle on interstate at around 70 mph, car power fails losing most power and engine light blinking leaving us very unsafe! once getting to the shoulder and restarting car, it is normal again. This has happened 4 times now. Acura can't find any codes and does not have an answer for this saftety issue!

- Rogers, AR, USA

Aug 112019

RDX

Engine stalls while vehicle is in motion. Vehicle is already in motion, 40 mph. We simply stepped on the gas paddle and the car stalled on the left lane.

- Southwest Ranches, FL, USA

Aug 082019

RDX

Vehicle would not change gears, stuck in first gear going over 50 mph on the highway.

- Carpentersville, IL, USA

Jul 292019

RDX

I was accelerating hard onto a highway on ramp when the check engine light turned on and the car went into "limp" mode. I drove at 40 miles per hour to the next exit and turned off the car as instructed on the manual. The car returned to normal operation afterwards although special care was taken to minimize strong acceleration.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Jul 302019

RDX

I just brought a new 2019 Rdx, it only has 315 miles (it has been only two and half weeks).I was driving on the highway on my way to work. I lost acceleration on my vehicle. I tried pressing the accelerator no reponse. All the warning lights came on, the engine light, AWD, brake system, power steering, stability and traction. Luckily I was able to get on to the shoulder. As I am reading similar complaints I notice that some people were able to shut off and turning on back the vehicle, resetting the car and resolving the issues. Unfortunately for that did not work. I had to be towed back to the dealership.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Jul 112019

RDX

I just bought a new 2019 Rdx aspec last Friday, and it only has about 500 miles on it. I was driving home tonight and went about 60mph to pass a car and my car completely lost power. I tried pressing the accelerator and I had absolutely no response. My check engine light started flashing. Fortunately, there was a police officer who was able to guide me to the shoulder. I restarted the car and the engine light was gone and I was able to drive off. However, the car still does not seem to have a full throttle response and the RPM is staying at about 3500 in normal mode. The auto-disable engine feature is also not working anymore. It had rained earlier in the day but it was not raining at this point but the roads were wet. I had been driving for about 30 minutes continuously before this at about 60mph.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Jun 082019

RDX

I was driving on a major highway accelerating to enter a toll lane. The engine light started flashing and I lost acceleration ability immediately. I had to cross 6 lanes to get to shoulder across a major highway.. I had already been driving for 1.5 hours with no issues. The dealership says there is no record of the issue in the car logs and therefore nothing they can do. This was a very dangerous situation and I was lucky that fellow drivers allowed my limping vehicle access to the shoulder before the car completely stopped. Shutting off and turning back on the car reset the issue and I was able to drive normally. Engine idle stop no longer worked after this happened. I had passed through a major rainstorm prior to this issue - not sure if that was related.

- Pickens, SC, USA

May 162019

RDX

After leaving work on May 16, 2019, I accelerated from a stop light onto highway 1 in san luis obispo. Immediately, the car stalled, lost all power, and a warning light illuminated stating "AWD malfunction, AWD not available." I pulled off the road, turned the car off. I re started a couple minutes later, and made it home. However, the car appeared to be operating on about 50% power, as it struggled to maintain highway speeds.

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

May 252019

RDX

While driving on a 2 lane highway on May 25, 2019, I attempted to pass a slower moving vehicle by flooring the gas to overtake them, and crossing the hashed highway line. I was driving in an area where the road undulated, so passing was only legal in stretches where the road was flat with distant visibility. As I moved over and floored it to pass, the car hesitated and lost propulsion, and the engine light began flashing. I was forced to transition from an aggressive, but legal, passing maneuver, to swinging back into position behind the vehicle I was attempting pass, and in front of another vehicle tailing me, but now I was losing speed. The car behind me was forced to brake hard, and my mechanical failure put them and me at risk. As I slowed due to lost power while in limp mode, I moved to the shoulder, shut off my car, and waited a few minutes. I restarted and experienced no continuing issue. This issue is so far isolated in my experience, however I have researched it on the following site and see multiple reports of the same issue: Https://acurazine.com/forums/3G-Rdx-problems-fixes-458/limp-mode-2019-spec-971802/page3/.

- Wauwatosa, WI, USA

May 202019

RDX

My Acura has "stalled" twice now while passing (once at about 4800 miles and the other at about 5600 miles on odo). Both times the car was in cruise control and lane keep assist and traveling on a highway at about 60mph. Both times I was overtaking a large vehicle that was to the right of me. Both times, I put the pedal to the floor, the car accelerated for only a split second, then lost all power, the engine light started blinking and went into limp mode. I had to cut across several lanes of traffic with no engine power to get the shoulder. (very dangerous.) both times, when I shutdown and immediately restarted the car, it then ran normally. However, both times after this happened, the car's idle start/stop function stopped working (the engine never shut off at stops). So far, I have not been able to purposely recreate the problem when I try to do so in safe driving conditions. The first time I took it to the dealership, they didn't find any code or anything wrong with it. However, whatever they did caused the idle start/stop function to start working again. This time it has been 6 days and the idle start/stop function hasn't activated once (I have not returned to dealer yet). Acura client relations claims they will have a field technician test my car, but I may have to wait weeks or months for that to happen. Other owners are reporting near identical problems on https://www.carcomplaints.com/Acura/Rdx/2019/engine/engine.shtml this is going to result in a car crash at some point for some driver, so urgent attention is needed to resolve the problem.

- Irving, TX, USA

Nov 182018

RDX

Trying to overtake slower car on two lane road at approximately 60mph, car lost all power went into "limp mode" forced to find way off road on busy road. Using 93 octane gas, sunny day. Waited few minutes restarted vehicle. Extremely dangerous situation.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 192019

RDX

A couple of days ago, on April 19th, my wife and I were driving through columbus, ga. It was around 7:00 am and raining. We had been driving about 1 1/2 hours and we were only going around 30 mph when I accelerated to pass a dump truck. The 2019 Rdx (6000 miles) started accelerating and then lost all power. I was able to limp over to the side of the road without getting run over by the dump truck but it a was very scary couple of minutes.  I turned the Rdx off for a minute, restated and then continued our trip. I took the Rdx to the Acura dealer in macon the following day and even though the check engine light came on no codes were stored. The service department did a hard reset of the system hoping to fix the problem. They seem to think that Acura is coming out with a software fix soon but that always seems to be the standard answer. I'm now afraid to let my wife drive the Rdx. Acura needs to fix this problem asap before someone gets killed.

- Perry, GA, USA

Mar 092019

RDX

I am submitting this ticket to document a hazardous scenario that I have experienced two times since purchasing my brand new 2019 Acura Rdx. Incidents occurred while driving in Ohio and Pennsylvania on cool days (ambient temperatures between 30 and 50 deg Fahrenheit), with and without rainfall. The following conditions were true for both occurrences. While driving on an interstate highway with adaptive cruise control [with low speed follow] and lane-keeping systems enabled, I decide to overtake a slower vehicle ahead of me. I depress the accelerator pedal without disabling the cruise control functions and change lanes to the faster lane. Just as I execute this maneuver, the engine simultaneously goes into limp mode -- the maximum power output decreases dramatically and the malfunction indication lamp (cel) is blinking. At this point I have to get across all lanes of the highway to pull onto the shoulder, and I have to do this while the vehicle is slowing down. Referencing my owner's guide, I see that the blinking cel indicates a misfire in the engine's cylinders is detected, and as instructed I turn off the engine in a "safe" place and wait for the engine to cool down. When I restart the engine, the cel is cleared and the vehicle resumes normal function. I took my vehicle in for its first service appointment yesterday. I provided this anecdote to my service advisor, and asked that we check error code logs and inspect component systems for damage. I was informed that there were no error codes logged, and that there should be such a log if, in fact, the cel was indicating. All component systems passed inspection/diagnosis. I am attaching a pdf containing the full description text of the ticket submission that I have made to Acura client services.

- Canonsburg, PA, USA

Apr 042019

RDX

When driving above 65 mph and passing, my engine has stalled on three different occasions. Once at 1200 miles and the other twice in one day at 4,000 miles. The car obviously loses all power causing me to have to merge right in traffic to the shoulder to restart the car. Each time is was under full acceleration and in high traffic conditions.

- Lake In The Hills, IL, USA