2008 Mercury Mariner steering problems: power steering stopped working

Power Steering Stopped Working

2008 Mercury Mariner

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Mercury dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008-2011 Mercury Mariner has a dangerous problem with the power steering that Ford says they fixed when they didn't -- at least not 100%.

8.5

2. replaced steering column and torque sensors (3 reports)
2008 Mercury Mariner steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercury Mariner:

2008 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments

Aug 082017

Mariner 3.0L V6

The power steering failed while in a parking lot, barely avoiding an accident. The car was suffering electrical charge problems as per previous complaint. The Ford Service Bulletin had been complied with. Ford was called and they said too bad, have a nice day. This a very serious problem that Ford has swept under the rug.

- , San Antonio, TX, United States

Dec 182016

Mariner Premier V6

Drove car from work to a restaurant... roughly 4 miles. Car was running absolutely fine.

Came out of restaurant 45 minutes later... power steering wasn't working.

Drove home, barely. It was frigidly cold, so I hoped something had frozen.

Parked the car in the garage, even let it run a while... didn't fix the problem.

I researched the issue and found many Ford Escapes and Mercury Mariners of this vintage had the same problem... and that there was a recall.

However, when cross-referring my vehicle... for some reason... it wasn't listed in the recall. Only cars manufactured at one certain plant, for some reason, qualify for the recall.

Anyway, I figured with the fully-electronic power steering apparatus, this would be an easy fix. Just a little reset of the electronics and I'd be on my way.

Dropped car off at dealer, who called me back very quickly to tell me I needed to replace my entire steering column to the tune of $1,500.

I found this site... and have noticed dozens upon dozens of people with the exact same problem.

This is absolutely unacceptable.

I have no choice but to get this fixed. I'm hoping a recall comes soon so I can get refund. Trouble there, is... I have to do the repair at the dealer - which is likely far more costly than my usual neighborhood shop.

So as a result... if a recall isn't issued soon, I've bought my last Ford Motors automobile. I've had issues with every Ford I've driven. This is the last straw.

- , Minneapolis, MN, USA

Sep 252015

Mariner LX 3.0L

In reference to Ford recall #14s05. Mariner has 106,000, got recall in mail, had not had a problem before. Almost 1 year later, first on trip gauge cluster went dead 3 times for 30 sec intervals traveling through Memphis. Next day car would not start after a random stop. Tried again approx. 30 min later and all resumed normal until way back home from Arkansas. Gauge cluster failed while driving, next power steering failed. Pulled over, let car sit 30 min it restarted and resumed normal rest of way home. Did not have a problem before but now I do.

Reprogramming was a bandaid to mask a more dangerous issue. Ford says they aren't responsible for any cost since the recall. Ford is aware and needs to make this right before someone gets hurt. Seems many of you are as frustrated like myself. Father retired after 37 years at Ford, have always been a Ford family, but like many others, Toyota is sounding better every day.

Update from Oct 30, 2015: after my recall on gauge cluster and steering issue 11 months ago read many had same problem after it was cleared from inspection.had no prior issues at the time ,told once it had been cleared FORD recall inspection they are free of any future issues.they know the problem existed.fortunantly a friend is in auto repair and has connection with a ford dealer here in Tennessee.he said very common problem which consists of a bad connection in gauge cluster most often but can also cause steering loss due to communication failure.there was a tsb (technical service bulletin )sent from ford on this very issue.dont let a dealer act like they know nothing about it.it is an OEM bulletin!I refused to take it to my dealer the way I was talked down to.

- , Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Feb 222015

Mariner 3.0lV6

I had my steering recalled. Took it to dealer and was told it was ok. Now 2 months later, I hear a ding. Look at my dash. Nothing. Then today my dash starts dinging every 5 seconds. Then boom... the message power steering assist fault comes on and I had to fight my steering wheel just to get it home. Hope Ford makes it right. That's all I own. If not, I'll sell them all and never buy another one

- , Greenwich, OH, USA

Jan 232015

Mariner Premier 3.2L V6

I JUST BOUGHT THIS VEHICLE IN JUNE FROM LAURA BUICK AND FOUND OUT THERE WAS A RECALL ON THE STEERING AND NOTHING WAS DONE ABOUT IT. I THINK THEY ARE A SHADY FOR NOT TELLING PEOPLE THINGS THAT ARE WRONG WITH THESE CARS THEY SELL. ALL DEALERS SHOULD GIVE SOME KIND OF WARRANTY FOR THEIR BUYERS WHEN THEY PURCHASE VEHICLES FROM THEM, AT LEAST 3 MONTHS

- , Pocahontas, IL, USA

Nov 092014

Mariner Limited

I took my car in to have the recall performed in July 2014 since I would lose power steering periodically. November 9, 2014, my power steering went out completely. I took it in to Randall Reed's Prestige Ford where they did the recall. They told me I needed a new steering column at $1200. I told them it was a problem with a lot of the recalled vehicles as I had read several complaints. They told me to call the customer relations who told me that the dealership would have to call the recall exemptions department but the service department acted like they didn't know what they were talking about.

I have gotten enough of the run around. Obviously their reprogramming the system during the recall was not the answer to my power steering problems and Ford needs to step up and fix their problems. I know several having this same issue so obviously not just my problem.

- , Garland, TX, USA

Apr 022014

Mariner Limited V6

Electronic power steering failed several times. At first I could shut off engine and restart, then the steering would work. Talked to several dealers, no one knew what I was talking about, never heard of the problem before. I got on the internet, several people had the same problem. Steering finally quit working all together. I took the Mariner to my locale dealer, he diagnosed it need the steering torque sensor. That did not fix it. He put on a used steering column. that seemed to fix it. I heard there was a recall from Ford on this problem. I called Ford, the guy I talked to said my Mariner is not covered under the recall. He said my Mariner was not maid in the plant with the defective parts. It may not have been made in the plant he was talking about, but it clearly has the same problem. I am not very happy with the answer I got. Ford needs to pay to fix my Mariner.

- , Winhrop, IA, USA

Feb 012014

Mariner

Power steering stop working while going down the road. Have to stop and turn car off and restart car and sometimes the power steering works again. This is a safety hazard.

- , Dowagiac, MI, USA