2010 Mercury Milan steering problems: power steering stopped working

Power Steering Stopped Working

9.2

$1,927.00

1. repair power steering gear (4 reports)
  3. reply steering rack (1 reports)
2010 Mercury Milan steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Mercury Milan:

2010 Mercury Milan Owner Comments

Aug 242017

Milan Premier V4

Picked up the car from my wife at her job. In the parking lot, I started the car but when I went to turn, the steering wheel locked up and I got a notification on the dash that said "Power Steering Assist Fault." Took it to Ford and they charged $100 just to diagnose and then said it would be $2,000.00 to fix. I've done a bit of research and it seems like a lot of people are having this problem. I thought Ford was a reliable company but it seems like they just want to make extra money and are not concerned about the safety of their drivers.

- , Clermont, US

Jan 092017

Milan 4cy

This just happened for no real reason, I was driving and fortunately not in a turn. I've done a lot of research and it seems Ford is using this as a way to make big money. There is a flaw in the electric steering system that will cause it to lock out and you can't get it cleared without taking it to the dealer. To troubleshoot the problem seems to cost from 100.00 to what ever higher amount they decide they want. It seems that in most cases they say the steering needs replaced and charge 2000.00, I guess that seems like a good round number for them.

- , Coshocton, OH, USA

Oct 012016

Milan 2.5L

The power steering suddenly went out. The advance track warning came on and stated service power steering now light came on. Warning signals including bells. I went to my local dealer and they have reset the computer several times, but to no avail.The power steering went back out each time. The problem I am having is that other Milan 2011 and Ford Focus 2010 and 2011 are having the same issue and is being covered by the recall but not Milan 2010 is ridiculous.

Ford should be ashamed of themselves. I have been a loyal Ford customer for over 15 years.My Ford Taurus was one of the best vehicles I ever owned and never had many problems.That was the reason I went back to Ford.

- , Mobile, AL, USA

Dec 072016

Milan 2.5L

I was driving my son to school this morning and I receiving dummy warnings to service advancetrac and service power steering soon. I stopped my car and turned it off for a few minutes like the manual says to do only to turn my car back on with warning beeps to "SERVICE POWER STEERING NOW". I lost all power steering and it was as if the steering locked up. Luckily I have roadside assistance and was able to get my car towed to my local dealership. However I received the dreaded phone call stating the power steering rack needs replaced and it is going to cost me $1,764.00. I've called Ford in hopes that there is a recall in the works for 2010 Milan's but there isn't and all she could do was document my complaint. Thank you Ford for ruining Christmas, because what single mom had a random $1,754.00 sitting around on an insane car repair? So very disappointed.

- , Terre Hill, PA, USA

Oct 022016

Milan

Power steering went out on my daughters car. It is like driving a tank now. I understand the 2011s with this problem are under recall, why not the 2010s

It is dangerous. And I see there are a LOT of others with same complaint.

- , Lebanon, OH, USA

Nov 012016

Milan

I don't understand why this out of nowhere just went out and with my daughter in the car no less!!!!!! We could've been seriously hurt Thank goodness we weren't. Why in all the hell is this NOT apart of a recall its obvious I'm not the only one with this issue I saw online there are tons of people experiencing this same thing so what am I supposed to do?????? Pay for the large repair bill myself??? This isn't right and it isn't fair... Something NEEDS to be done ASAP!!!!!

- , Detroit, MI, USA

Aug 312016

Milan Premier V6

The power steering gear issue is not covered under any current recall, and there are no plans for it be covered even though the similar 2011-2013 Ford Fusions and 2011 Mercury Milan were covered. The 2010 are not covered based on the fact they were manufactured elsewhere. They want you to pay $99 to a dealer to spend the day on it running a diagnostic test on it to see if the issue is related to the recall. Then from there you have to file with Ford for them to consider to cover the repair under the recall. If not, you are out the money even though others have the same exact issue paid for. I am a single mom fighting cancer. Chemo costs over $11,000 a month. When I talked to the first representative from Ford she was so understanding and gave me the impression that Ford cares about their car owners. She understood how I felt. She said she would put the claim to the recall department right away and to hope for good news. Nope, Ford said NO not our problem. So the next representative from Ford submitted a claim for hardship to help in paying for some of the repairs. That customer service rep, Cynthia Mougey, said Ford doesn't and won't help under any circumstances. Obviously they don't care about returning customers. When I called my local Ford Dealership, North Star Ford they reduced the $2,100 bill down to $1,600. Corporate wouldn't do anything! How sad corporate Ford doesn't care about their customers!

- , Hermantown, MN, USA

Apr 092016

Milan Voga 3.0L V6

This issue is not covered under any current recall, and there are no plans for it be covered even though the similar 2011-2013 Ford Fusions and 2011 Mercury Milan were covered. The 2010 are not covered based on the fact they were manufactured else where. They want you to pay a fee at a dealer to spend days and days on it to see if the issue is related to the recall. Then from there you have to file with Ford for them to consider to cover the repair under the recall. If not you are out the money even though others have the same exact issue paid for. Ford and the few service managers I have talked to about this are nothing but rude and tell me it must be something else, regardless of not even looking at the vehicle since they "don't want too". I am stuck with no way to work since it is impossible to drive my car the way it is, so therefore I have no money to even pay for it to be fixed. If this was an unknown issue with these cars I would find a way to pay, but since this is a known issue it is unfair that I have to jump through these hoops when others don't for the same exact issue. This wouldn't be a problem but I've work with warranty and recall and know how the process works. It is a simple and easy process where I shouldn't even be involved except to drop my car off and pick it up and the dealer takes 5 mins to send paper work in and they wait for their check.

- , Hopkins, MI, USA