2009 Saturn Aura steering NHTSA complaints: Steering

NHTSA — Steering Problems

2009 Saturn Aura (Page 3 of 5)

2009 Saturn Aura steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Saturn Aura:

2009 Saturn Aura Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Feb 022015

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. While driving approximately 5 mph, the power steering completely shut off and the power steering and eps warning indicators illuminated. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed a code C0545 torque sensor failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Windham, OH, USA

Feb 202014

Aura

Loss of power steering. Power steering would go out as you were driving causing problem to steer. I looked at recalls for GM Saturn's it showed 7 recalls for Saturn 3 of which are for steering in 2008 - 2009 Saturn. GM said that my VIN number does not fall under the recall, but is the same part that is falling in the recall. It's the same year and same model that is failing.

- Canfield , OH, USA

Oct 202014

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. The contact stated while driving between 40 mph, the steering seized as power steering light illuminated and excessive force was used to steer the vehicle to the side of the road. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 124,000.

- Mifflin Town , PA, USA

Jan 202015

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that the steering wheel was tight and extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who diagnosed that the steering column and the control module needed to be replaced. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14E044000 (steering) and 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was not available.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Jan 172015

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that while making a turn at a low speed, the steering wheel seized and the power steering warning light illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the electrical system needed to be serviced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 82,000.

- Pasadena, TX, USA

Jan 072015

Aura 4-cyl

2009 Saturn Aura GM needs to update the recalls on the 09 Aura. In the past 4 mos I have luckily survived 8 crashes, now, from total loss of power steering. No one @ GM/Saturn will help. They say my VIN# is not in the recall, but it is the exact same thing happening as is in the recall..complete loss of power steering. Triangle illuminates on dash & says ESC service power steering...dealer could not diagnose problem, couldn't get a code. I subscribed to on star so when it happened I would be able to get a diagnostic code, & luckily their computer diagnosed the issue, & got the codes which are the exact problems in the recalls code C0545 power steering, & C0561 traction control module not functioning. They now tell me I need a complete steering column, which dorman products says my VIN# is not in recall on steering shaft! General Motors/Saturn please update your recalls< there are 1000's with the same issues in the 09 Auras, before one of us here becomes a statistic! I assume Saturn is doing nothing because they have filed bankruptcy & gone out of business. I can not drive this car & be safe!!! someone please help!! I think we need an attorney!

Jan 132015

Aura 4-cyl

Vehicle power steering malfunction. Steering wheel would not turn became stiff, message on display ESC power steering and power steering light came on. Vehicle had to be towed to dealer, informed power steering column needs replaced, ($740.) repair cost.

- Gettysburg, PA, USA

Jan 122015

Aura 4-cyl

Power steering failure at startup and low speed.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Jan 092015

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. While making a left or right turn at 10 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the power steering warning light illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Epps, LA, USA

Jan 092015

Aura 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the ESC warning light illuminated on the instrument panel and the power steering failed. The contact mentioned that the vehicle became extremely difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the internal power steering malfunctioned; however, no repairs were made to the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 97,000. Updated 03/04/15 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired by the manufacturer at no cost to consumer. Updated 6/15/2015

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Dec 102014

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. The contact stated that the steering wheel became extremely hard to maneuver when turning the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, where the technician diagnosed that there was an electrical component that needed to be replaced. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Bells, TN, USA

Jan 082015

Aura 4-cyl

I was waiting at a stop sign. When cross-traffic cleared and I began my right turn, I noticed the power steering had failed. It took great effort to turn the wheel to complete the right turn. About 5 seconds later, a warning light (yellow triangle with an exclamation point) illuminated, and the area where the odometer reading normally displays, instead said "service eps" and then "power steering". I continued for no more than a quarter mile before stopping at a red light, turning off the motor, and re-starting the car. Power steering worked from that point and for the rest of my 20 mile commute.

- Plymouth, MI, USA

Dec 102014

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. While driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel seized and became difficult to maneuver. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering); however, the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Sep 102014

Aura

Power steering freezes for a few seconds and is back to normal again. The first incident was approximately in September 2014 and this has happened several times since then. Once a message appeared on the information screen 'power steering......', but went away by the time it could be completely read.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Nov 272014

Aura

I lost power steering all the sudden as I was driving down the road so I had to pull over turn off engine waited 5 sconeds turn the engine back on then the power steering started working again.

- St Paul , MN, USA

Nov 062014

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. While driving 45 mph, the power steering failed and caused the contact to lose control of the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 84,700.

Nov 042014

Aura 4-cyl

As I was backing out of my driveway and turning left, I lost complete use of my car. The power steering light came on and I had no control. After trying to turn the car straight for several minutes, I finally had to turn the car off and restart it before I regained use of the power steering. I see there was recall for this type of problem in April 2014, however, it does not include my car.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Oct 312014

Aura 4-cyl

I was driving apx 40mph & my car had a slight vibration, or missing-feel, & suddenly the power steering locked up & steering wheel would not turn! I could not even budge it, but luckily there were no cars around me & I managed to get to side of road. I turned my car off & got out & looked under hood. I saw nothing that looked unusual, but I am a woman & not mechanically minded. So I got back in my car & was going to call for help. I decided to start it to see what would happen & it started & everything was fine.it went back to normal! when all this happened it had flashed a msg across dash saying "ESC power steering, service immediately". then, today I was turning onto a street & it did the exact same thing. Luckily again I did not hit the car on the street. I turned off & started again & it was ok again. I am now afraid to drive it anywhere! I have several electrical issues with this car, lights, locks, windows, things shorting out & a floating no control type feeling when driving at higher speeds, sort of like the wind is blowing me off the road. I found several recalls & contacted GM. They told me there were no recalls, then a few months later I get a recall notice on a part/recall I had called them about, so I do not trust what they say.please advise, as I am afraid to drive this car. I do not want to go to the dealership near me which is orr/texarkana, tx 75503 because none of these problems happened until after they did the so-call recall repair on my car! someone please help me. I need my car but do not want to crash! thank you

Oct 222014

Aura 4-cyl

I have a 2009 Saturn Aura and on the morning of 10/22 while driving my vehicle, I experienced a sudden loss of electric power steering (eps) exactly as described in GM recall id # 102639. Fortunately, I was able to pull off of the road steering manually without any problem and after I turned the car off and restarted the vehicle, the power steering began working again. After reading this recall notice, I'm very concerned that this could happen with my vehicle again and I might not be as lucky next time when it does. I contacted my local dealer and was told there was no recall listed for the power steering issue under my VIN. I found this surprising as this occurred exactly as was described in the aforementioned recall notice that I read online. I then called GM customer assistance and they confirmed that my vehicle is not included in this recall at the moment and I would have to bring my car in to the dealer at my own expense. I'm very concerned because I believe this is a serious safety issue as was outlined in this recall notice. I also find it surprising that only certain VIN numbers are included in the recall. Why is my 2009 Saturn Aura not included in the recall but others are when I'm having the exact same problem with my power steering?

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Oct 062014

Aura

The contact owns a 2009 Saturn Aura. While driving 65 mph, the power steering failed without warning. The contact had to use excessive force in order to get the vehicle off the highway. In addition, the gear shifter indicated the incorrect position. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Woonsocket, RI, USA