Saturn Engineering Analysis EA04035: FRONT TURN SIGNAL/DRL FAILURE
2004 Saturn Ion
FRONT TURN SIGNAL/DRL FAILURE
Exterior Lighting:Turn Signal
- The combination front turn signal/drl in MY 2003 Saturn Ion coupes experienced significant early-life failures due to various bulb quality issues due to inadequate design and manufacture.this problem trend appears to have disappeared after the fall of 2003.the change of lead wire material near the start of MY 2004 vehicle production appears to have reduced the failure rate for MY 2004 Saturn Ion coupes.although operating temperatures in the subject vehicles' lamp assemblies are below the socket material maximum temperature specification, they are only slightly below the specification.in December 2004, GM reduced the voltage to the lamp assembly in order to reduce the temperature in the assembly of the subject vehicles.warranty claims on the subject vehicles do not indicate an increasing trend over time.warranty claim rate of subject vehicles (excluding early MY 2003 claims) is not significantly higher than other GM vehicles that use combination turn signal/drls.a safety-related defect trend has not been identified at this time.further use of Agency resources does not appear to be warranted.accordingly, this investigation is closed.the closing of this investigation does not constitute a finding by NHTSA that a safety-related defect does not exist.the Agency will take further action if warranted by the circumstances.see attached summary report.
- Documents (7)
- OPENING RESUME APPROVED GENERAL MOTORS CORP. M.LEE * 12/22/04 * P
- GM RESPONSE TO IR DATED JANUARY 28, 2005. WITH ATTACHMENTS
- IR TO MFR-GMC M.LEE * 1/28/05 * P
- OCC 5/18/2005 LETTER TO GM GRANT CONFIDENTIAL TREATMENT TO GM 3/23/05 LETTER TO OCC
- CLOSING RESUME APPROVED (GMC) FRONT TURN SIGNAL/DRL FAILURE - M.J.L. * 10/20/05 * P
- GM 3/23/05 LETTER TO OCC REQUEST FOR CONFIDENTIAL TREATMENT
- GM RESPONSE. ONE CD-ROM = ATTACHMENT 1
Click a tab for more information.