Saturn Engineering Analysis EA08010: NON-CRASH ENGINE COMPARTMENT FIRES
2007 Saturn Outlook
NON-CRASH ENGINE COMPARTMENT FIRES
Electrical System:12v/24v/48v Battery
Electrical System:Wiring:Front Underhood
Electrical System:Wiring:Fuses And Circuit Breakers
Engine And Engine Cooling
Engine And Engine Cooling:Engine
- In a letter dated August 27, 2008, General Motors Corp. (GM) notified NHTSA that it will conduct a safety recall (NHTSA recall number 08V-441) to address a safety relateddefect that can result in engine compartment fire in approximately 850,000 vehicles equipped with a heated windshield washer fluid option.the subject vehicles of this investigation comprise over three-quarters of the recall population. According to GM, a short circuit on the printed circuit board for the windshield washer fluid heater module may overheat the control-circuit ground wire. This may cause other electrical features to malfunction, create an odor or cause smoke and in rare cases it may cause a fire.as a remedy, GM dealers will install a wire harness with an in-line fuse. In addition to the subject vehicles, several other GM models with the heated windshield washer fluid option are included in recall 08V-441: MY 2006-2008 Buick lucerne (manufactured August 2005 through November 2007); MY 2008 Buick enclave (manufactured February 2007 through April 2007); MY 2006-2008 Cadillac dts (manufactured May 2007 through November 2007); MY 2007-2008 Saturn Outlook (manufactured August 2006 through April 2007); and MY 2007-2008 GMC acadia (manufactured August 2006 through April 2007) vehicles.GM is instructing owners to take their vehicle to a dealer for service if they experience symptoms of windshield washer heater module short circuits. GM's recall resolves the safety defect concerns pursued by this investigation.this engineering analysis is closed.
- Documents (8)
- CLOSING RESUME APPROVED * 09/08/08 * p - Re: Alleged non crash engine compartment fires.
- MEMO TO FILE * 05/18/09 * p
- MEMO TO FILE - * 07/14/09 * p
- MFR IR RESPONSE LETTER - MFR's response to ODI regarding the Microheat Transient report ltr sent to ODI on May 13, 2009. - * 05/27/09 * p
- ODI 7/14/2009 MEMO AND MICROHEAT 5/27/2009 MEMO TO ODI
- MICROHEAT 4/6/2009 LETTER RECALL 08V-441
- GM 8/13/2009 LETTER TO ODI
- OPENING RESUME APPROVED * 06/12/08 * p
Click a tab for more information.