2010 Volkswagen Jetta fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Jetta:

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Mar 012015

Engine stalls out as if it is getting no fuel. It happens when it is stationary, in motion and on city streets on occasions and very dangerous. Seems like something wrong with the fuel pump.

- Beverly, NJ, USA

Aug 162017

Occasionally the car will stall and surge creating a jolt at variable speeds but always while in motion. Usually when accelerating from idle but sometimes during highway driving.

- Concord, NC, USA

Aug 242017

Vehicle stalls while in motion on a state highway but coasting to a stop at a traffic signal. Clutch pedal was fully depressed. Has happened about 5 times between July 1, 2017 and August 29, 2017. This vehicle is a diesel. Fuel pump might be loosing power. Weather was dry. Air and fuel filters are not dirty. They were recently replaced.

- Lake Luzerne, NY, USA

Aug 112016

Lateral spacing between accelerator and brake pedal too narrow. This situation causes the driver to push the accelerator pedal when requiring braking. On at least one occasion this caused me to impact a stationary vehicle directly in front of me. This is a dangerous condition that is aggrevated when larger footwear is worn, this condition should be investigated, as it an unacceptable presents a safety risk

- Brighton, MI, USA

Jul 152017

Driving on interstate highway for greater than 30 minutes, there was onset of strong rain conditions at about 30 minutes of driving time -- the epc light came on and the ability to accelerate was lost. Symptoms of downshifting were noted just prior to onset of issue. Depressing the accelerator resulted in RPM increase with no acceleration in relatively fast traffic (>50mph). Was able to pull off safely and shut vehicle off. Very dangerous situation in high speed/strong rain conditions. Epc light turned off after shutoff and re-start, and I assumed a slip on wet surface. Restarted and attempted to rejoin traffic. Traveled less than 50 feet and epc light re-lit with no slip, followed immediately by lighting of the 'check engine' light. Same lack of acceleration and increased RPM with depressing throttle pedal was noted. Turned off engine on shoulder again and restarted after five minute period in attempt to get home and was able to very carefully/slowly merge back into traffic with check engine light and epc light lit for entirety of trip home (>50 miles). Vehicle drove for additional approximately 50 miles without symptoms onset. Vehicle currently has approximately 50K miles and is driven once every week or two weeks. All service is performed regularly. I researched this symptom set online, only to find hundreds of complaints similar to mine across the spectrum of VW models indicating no precise diagnosis relative to these symptoms coinciding with thousands of dollars of repairs in attempt to reconcile. I do not care to spend thousands of dollars attempting to repair an issue that cannot be identified using a 'trial and error' method on a vehicle that kbb values at less than 5K. Based on my limited research, this very dangerous issue should be some sort of recall. I have researched recalls on my particular vehicle and have noted nothing relative.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

May 132017

Ignition system keeps failing. Car keys get stuck and car won't turn off and having a hard time tuning the key to start the car. Each time the car is parked and the steering lock is disengaged.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

May 092017

While driving to work on a very busy interstate my 2010 VW Jetta tdi had a check engine light come on, immediately followed by my car stuttering and shutting off immediately. After neing towed to the dealer, I was informed the entire fuel system had to be replaced and that this was a major issues with VW diesels (esp. Years 2009 & 2010). The hpfp had become such a problem that the manufacturer extended the warranty for the fuel system to 120K miles or 10 years. My mileage went over the allotted amount by 5K miles but after many calls to VW customer service they refused any help, they would not cover the $5,000 repair, the $3,000 in parts or anything. They refused any type of help even though they most certainly could have assisted me. It is well known that the fuel pump is poor, even the replacement pumps have a huge failure rate yet VW does nothing to assist their customers. They have failed to produce a hpfp that does not break down and then they make it the customers fault by not recalling the part. These fuel systems should have been replaced as a recall before they cause the car to suddenly stop on a busy interstate. I am thankful that I was not injured but I am furious that I am just one of many that have went through this and been offered no help. We are left to pay the price, one that runs anywhere from $5,000-$9,000. That is an unacceptable repair cost to a vehicle with under 125K miles, and it happens as soon as 6K. The engineers at VW should be held accountable for their poor design, inability to correct it and abandonment of their loyal customers. VW has shown a complete disregard for human life by failing to properly address this issue.

- Pinson, AL, USA

May 092017

Car suddenly unable to accelerate beyond 30 mph. Car gently driven to dealership where car died and was unable to start. Dealership has investigated and found metal shards from fuel filter have migrated throughout the fuel system. Cost of repair $5400. Car is part of VW buyback program. Dealer refused to buy back vehicle without repair stating vehicle must be " able to get to dealership on its own'. I drove vehicle to dealer. Dealer refuses to work with me on buyback. Now forced to pay for expensive repair. Dealer state repair " expected due to high mileage" I have always had high mileage vehicles and have never before had metal in fuel line due to fuel filter failure.

- Andover, KS, USA

Dec 222016

Diesel fuel filter is clogging up and was told that it required replacement at a cost of $7,000.

- Ladera Ranch, CA, USA

Sep 292016

While on a city street at stopped at a stop light my VW Jetta tdi made a funny noise and shook. Then it acted like it wanted to stall, the glow plug light came on. The stop light changed and I was able to pull into a parking lot. When I pulled into a parking spot before I could take the care out of gear, it stalled. I was not able to get the car to start again. I was told by VW of san bernardino that this was a know issue with the high pressure fuel pump. The recall update was preformed back in 2014 to prevent the incorrect fuel from being placed into the vehicle. I am a long time diesel owner and have never placed the incorrect fuel into the car. I believe there is a defect in the design or material related to the high pressure fuel pump.

- Yucaipa, CA, USA

May 252016

My car stalled while driving it was towed to the dealership where I was informed that there was an extended warranty on the high pressure fuel pump associated with my car make and model. I was then informed that my car was not covered under the extended warranty because I did not have a misfuel guard installed. I never received actual notice that I was to install a misfuel guard until the day my car stalled and had to be towed to the dealership. The dealership ran a fuel test which revealed that there was no improper fuel in my car, thus, even if the misfuel guard had been installed, my fuel pump would have still failed. I have contacted Volkswagen as well and they also informed me that because I did not have the misfuel guard installed, I was unable to be covered under the warranty, even though there was no improper fuel located in my car. I am extremely frustrated that even though there was no user error, I am being stuck with the bill ($5,000) due to Volkswagen's defective part.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Apr 262016

High pressure fuel pump failed while driving on the freeway 60 mph car suddenly lost power and luckily I was in the slow lane and was able to pull over to shoulder

- Roseville, CA, USA

Oct 212015

I bought this car in May 2015 due to the awesome fuel ecconomy paired with supposed great reliability.the high pressure fuel pump went out around October 2015. I was headed to work and the engine started skipping just for a short time. I drove to work without any more issues. When I was leaving work, the engine started running real rough so I pulled over and I heard a squealing/rattling noise from an area around the timing cover. The engine stalled. I started it back up and after maybe 10 seconds it stalled again and wouldn't start back up. I towed the car to a VW specialist shop and they diagnosed the issue as a failed high pressure fuel pump and requiring replacement of the entire fuel system. I had the car towed to a VW dealership and they're diagnostic was the same. They sent out a fuel sample and it failed for lubricity. I expected VW to cover this since this was a known VW issue. The car sat at a dealership for over a month before having to tow it back home. The repair will cost around $5,600. I would fix it myself but the parts alone can be $3,000 to $4000. I purchased this car in May 2015, so only got to drive it for five months. I have lost all faith in the reliability as well as the confidence that VW will fix any issues that are due to faulty parts. There have been several cases with faulty high pressure fuel pumps from 2009 to present. There was an investigation before. www-ODI.NHTSA.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ucm475595/incr-EA11003-61863.pdf

- Lagrange, GA, USA

Feb 142016

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled several times without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the high pressure fuel pump and the fuel injectors needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V621000 (fuel system, gasoline). The failure mileage was 115,000. The VIN was not available.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Jan 272016

While excelerating from a red light my car went into "limp mode" and lost most of its power. I could not drive faster than 40 mph or 2400 RPM. I contacted VW dealer and they instructed me to drive the vehicle in which was only 8 miles from my house. Enroute to dealership my car lost all power and shut off in the middle of the road. I could not start the vehicle and had to get it towed to the dealership. Upon inspection, it was found that my high pressure fuel pump had failed which caused my turbo to also fail. The fuel in the tank was not contaminated, this was just a failure of the system.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Jan 222016

I am unable to open the gas filler flap to fill my gas tank with gas. The filler flap usually opens using the central locking system in car or the key pod. Neither activates the filler flap now. This is a serious safety issue which Volkswagen does not have a solution for.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Jul 132014

Car in shop for approximately 11 days. Although car out of warranty, fixed with authorization from VW of America as a "warranty" repair at no charge to me. Bad fuel not an issue (tested). Hpfp and all major fuel systems/lines cleaned or replaced. High pressure fuel pump failure.

- Kearny, NJ, USA

Jan 072016

My 2010 VW Jetta tdi is throwing check engine light codes of P0472 and P0471. Both of these have to do with exhaust pressure sensors and I think this is an environmental issue and should be subject to a mandatory recall. The local VW dealership denies any recall would cover these cel codes.

- Marlton, NJ, USA

Jan 072016

Dealership performed 90K mile checkup. Also asked them to determine if cel P0472 was covered by warranty. They confirmed code, and said not covered under any warranty. The also advised the car is showing intermittent code of P0638 for throttle actuator control (bank 1). Written on the estimate by VW dealership is "technician noted that while driving vehicle into the shop, vehicle had no throttle control and would not increase in engine speed. Technician recommends replacing the throttle body and exhaust pressure sender. Technician recommends customer not to drive vehicle --vehicle will at some point stop driving (moving) - it could stop moving at any point, including crossing a intersection". I have not had any issues whatever with my throttle, but due to their documentation, it appears there is a safety issue here deserving of a mandatory safety recall.

- Marlton, NJ, USA

Dec 082015

Under normal driving conditions, car lost all power, completely stalled in flowing traffic on a 2 lane highway and would not restart.

- Knoxville, TN, USA