2006 BMW 325 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 325:

2006 BMW 325 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jun 302013

325

Steering wheel lock malfunctioned as evidenced by warning light. Vehicle was immobile and required towing. Cost for repair = $1100. Repair shop said there was a core charge for the replaced upper steering column. This means that BMW is buying back the malfunctioned units to either diagnose, or they're rebuilding them and making more money. Either way, it's an known problem and BMW isn't taking the proper action to ensure owners safety.

- Marietta, GA, USA

May 242013

325 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 325I. The contact stated that while attempting to park, the steering wheel became stuck as the steering wheel lock warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle then stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the steering wheel column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 66,000.

- Houston , TX, USA

Jun 132007

325 6-cyl

I brought the vehicle in to BMW and stated that the steering wheel lock lights come on and the car will not start until a few tries. BMW could not find the problem, since then it has progressively gotten worst and reading forums, there seen to be a legitimate problem with this issue.

- Odessa, FL, USA

Oct 112007

325 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock jam light came on in the car and I was able to reset it. Happened again on February 15 and this time it will not reset.

- Biloxi, MS, USA

Jan 282013

325 6-cyl

I am getting a new message on my car indicating the wheel being locked. This problem is well documented and it seems there should be a recall. Please check out all the comments on this website. www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php"T=410153. My hope is that a recall happens. This 2006 BMW has been a maintenance nightmare. Have had way too many problems. What can I do"

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 142013

325 6-cyl

This vehicle, along with hundreds, maybe thousands, of others are afflicted with a known defect BMW is well aware of (and has subsequently made engineering changes after 2006) involving the steering wheel lock in E90 and E91 chassis. An amber or red steering wheel lock indicator will light for no apparent reason nor warning rendering the vehicle non-drivable (nor towable) and non-startable. BMW says the only solution is a complete change of the steering column. A very expensive repair. The owners blog shows hundreds of other dissatisfied owners with similar problems. I think you should have a recall of these BMW's because of the obvious defect in its engineering. And, furthermore, since BMW changed the whole steering lock system in their later models, they too knew of its faults. Proving their guilt.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Jan 032012

325 6-cyl

My steering wheel lock indicator was warning me that it was locked (amber light) ultimately the indicator turned red when trying to start the car and stranded me.

- Ferndale, MI, USA

Dec 292012

325

Steering column. BMW problem, factory issue that needs to be taken care of. Steering lock light.

- Orange , CA, USA

Jul 112011

325

The steering column lock was yellow, then went red and would not start. My mechanic got hit to go back to yellow, took it to BMW and they said the steering column needed to be replaced. Took the car home and to another mechanic who replaced the column, but it did not resolve the issue. Everyone tells me the case needs to be replaced.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Aug 172012

325 6-cyl

The two issues are (1) airbag malfunction and (2) steering wheel malfunction. (1) the first issue occurred while I was driving on ca I-80 towards berkley from davis on 8/17/2012. As I was driving, the car displayed a notification that the passenger air bag was experiencing a problem and shut off. There was a passenger in the car. As of this date, the airbag is still shut off. (2) the second issue occurred while I was driving on ca I-280 from burlingame towards millbrae on 8/30/2012. As I was driving, I noticed a steering wheel lock notification. Luckily, I was at my exit and near home so I drove slowly home. After turning the car off, the steering wheel locked up. Restarting and turning the car off causes the steering wheel to randomly lock/unlock. I have not driven the car after the incident.

- Millbrae, CA, USA

Aug 012012

325 6-cyl

I now have the "steering lock" yellow caution light on.

- St Johns, FL, USA

Aug 282012

325 6-cyl

Tried to start car, put key in, pressed start button and an amber padlock icon appeared over a steering wheel icon - car won't start.

- Mckinleyville, CA, USA

Aug 052012

325

Today my BMW 325I was giving me a trouble symbol with a red steering wheel with a lock with the number 1 in it. I was parked at gas station getting gas and when I tried to crank the car back up it would not start. I have been reading hundreds of other blogs about people having the exact same problem. It looks like we are going to have to have a tow truck to take the car 70 miles to the nearest dealer and pay to have it fixed. This should certainly be a recall!!! shame on you BMW for not admitting that this is a major problem. What if the steering would have locked up with my family in the car going down the road?

- Metter, GA, USA

Jul 212012

325 6-cyl

Steering was locked and I can't start the car for 2 days after I trying so many methods got from online.

- Port Washington, MP, USA

Jul 122012

325 6-cyl

The vehicles electronic steering wheel lock mechanism has failed and vehicle will not unlock the steering wheel column nor start the vehicle with this problem in place. Hundreds of other complaints across the board with my same particular my (2006) can easily be found by a simple search on any given BMW blog/forum. This should definitely be a recall. What would happen if it had locked up while driving?? not safe at all and will certainly try everything I can to recoup the $1000+ I will be spending from BMW for the labor/repair that it will cost to have this ridiculous issue resolved.

- Independence, MO, USA

Jul 062012

325 6-cyl

BMW steering lock failure I should be replace by BMW because all this models have this problem is very unsafe but BMW don't want to do a recall in this matter.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

May 282012

325

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 325I. While parked, the contact noticed that the steering warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic. The contact did not experience a failure with the steering while driving. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 52,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 302012

325

As many others have complained, my car now has a yellow steering wheel icon with a lock. I have to turn the steering wheel a few times in order to get the car to unlock and start. I am afraid to drive it as I have read that many people are unable to start the car once the icon turns from yellow to red. This is a known defect to BMW and they have discontinued use of this electronic lock in their 2007+ cars. Why won't BMW admit that their is an issue and fix it? why should I have to pay $500+ to fix something they've known was broken in the first place.

- Towson, MD, USA

Mar 262012

325 6-cyl

Will not start because of steering in lock position. Airbag and seat belt error (red icon) in passenger side.

- Covina, CA, USA

Feb 242012

325

The car constantly displays a steering wheel lock icon when I try to start the car. This issue has been reported by many drivers and it can be fatal if the steering wheel locks while the car is moving. This needs to be addressed right away.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA