2006 BMW 325 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 325:

2006 BMW 325 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Oct 132011

325 6-cyl

Red steering wheel lock malfunction the car won't start due to the malfunction I have too get it towed down to the dealer.

- Trumbull, CT, USA

Feb 132012

325 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock warning light illuminated in red on dash. This is a common problem with 2006 325I series. BMW has discontinued this type of steering wheel column when building their 2007 vehicles because its an issue. Why hasn't this been recalled and why hasnt anyone taken action on the incident?

- Musctine, IA, USA

Dec 012011

325

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 325I. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel seized. The driver restarted the vehicle and the steering wheel operated as normal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test and the technician stated that the electronic steering lock would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000. The VIN was not available.

- Wellington, FL, USA

Feb 042012

325 6-cyl

Ever since I purchased this car, it'd display a yellow icon with a steering wheel lock. On this date, the steering wheel lock failed to disengage and the icon was red, leaving me stranded. This same issue occurred to my friend last month as he has the exact same car as me. According to many online sources, many others have had the exact same issue.

- Enola, PA, USA

Jan 072012

325 6-cyl

My vehicle had the steering wheel lock with the amber light. Apparently, there are numerous 3 series with this issue in us and world. This is common for the E90S. Below is a list of those that have been reported to your Agency. This fault could potentially happen while driving causing the occupants to lose steering control. Reports: 10380778, 10378186 - 330I 10322165 - 325xi 10380077, 10353644 - 325I 10173714,10369685,10341920,10341836,10238977,10181405 and many others. When are you going to hold BMW accountable for this major issue and safety hazard?

- Mount Joy, PA, USA

Oct 202011

325 6-cyl

Steering lock lamp is amber and now red. Says car will not start because steering lock mechanism could engage. Could possibly lock while driving.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Nov 122011

325 6-cyl

Steering wheel column has locked and the car needed to be towed to the BMW dealership. After researching the vehicles make and model (325I 2006 BMW) I have noticed that this is an ongoing issue with the steering wheel column and ignition port. BMW has discontinued this type of steering wheel column when building their 2007 vehicles because its an issue. Why hasn't this been recalled and why hasn't anyone taken action on the incident?

- Seaford, NY, USA

Nov 142011

325

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 325I. The contact stated that the steering warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact spoke with the manufacturer and was told that the steering column could seize and prevent the wheels from being turned. They also advised that a sensor in the steering column was possibly failing and the entire steering column would most likely need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,009.

- Ozark, AL, USA

Apr 102011

325 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock issue causing issues when trying to start ignition. The steering wheel lock will happen 2-3 times a week and eventually disable completely after a few months. Had to replace with a new steering column.

- Norwood, MA, USA

Apr 132010

325

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 325I. The contact stated the steering wheel would lock and the vehicle would not start. The dealer stated the steering column needed to be replaced. There are no recalls or warranties related to the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Woobury, NJ, USA

Mar 012011

325

My 2006 BMW 325xi has had the amber steering lock light on for over a month and will not go off. It is a common problem with this make and model of car and BMW has refused to fix it. My car is 3000 miles past the warranty and it needs a new steering column.

- Evans, CO, USA

Feb 202010

325

There is a red dash warning light with a steering wheel and lock. Car will not start.

- Oxford, PA, USA

Feb 082011

325

Steering wheel lock failure. I have a 2006 BMW 325I. According to BMW it just broke. How? my vehicle is not even truly 6 years of age and doesn't even have 100,000 miles on it yet. I've found several complaints on bimmerfest.com concerning the same problem. I feel that someone should look into this problem more thoroughly. Yes I have to pay for my own fix but I also feel that this is a major problem that's occurring in this model make and year.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Feb 012011

325 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock warning light illuminated in red on dash. Vehicle wheel could lock according to the owners manual.

- Waxhaw, NC, USA

Feb 032011

325 6-cyl

On 2/3/2011 my vehicle had the steering wheel lock with the amber light. 2006 325I was towed to the dealer. It took re-programming and the steering column being replaced to fix the vehicle. There are numerous 3 series with this issue in us and world. This is common for the E90S. Below is a list of those that have been reported to your Agency. BMW is not acknowledging the defect yet they took this feature out in 2008. Reports: 10380778, 10378186 - 330I 10322165 - 325xi 10380077, 10353644 - 325I 10173714,10369685,10341920,10341836,10238977,10181405 - 3 series.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 032011

325 6-cyl

Steering wheel locked on 2006 325I - car has only 41000+ miles. Neither key would work to start the car. Battery in good condition. Car was towed to the dealer since the steering wheel was stuck and so was the gear. Neither of the keys were able to start the vehicle. There are numerous complaints regarding this on bimmerfest.com and other consumer websites.

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 282010

325 6-cyl

Failure of steering column lock, causing inability to restart automobile intermittently. I have read this is a common problem with early 2006 330I models, but a recall was never issued. My car has very low miles, so it was clearly a design flaw. BMW offered to supply the parts for free, however I feel this is a safety-related issue and should have been 100% covered by BMW as a recall and handled proactively by the company.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 042010

325

2006 BMW 325I steering wheel lock failure occurred in May 2007. Took car to dealer and the steering wheel column was supposed to have been replaced May 2007. July 2010 car made a loud grinding noise. Aug 2010 got wheel lock symbol again---steering wheel lock failing again for the second time. Took car to dealer. Dealer wants to charge me $130 just to check it out--not including repairs. I think this problem should be a recall. This is a common problem with 2006 325I series.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 112010

325

2006 BMW 330 xi when pressing on the brake the car accelerated with a loud noise, could not steer the car; crashed in trees. 24,323 miles still under new car warranty.

- Somerville, NJ, USA

Jun 112010

325

2006 BMW 330xi brake failure, acceleration, no steering. Occurred twice; BMW repaired by dealer new brakes, computer; second occurrence car did not stop until hit trees.

- Somerville, NJ, USA