Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Buying the first model year of any vehicle is rarely a good idea. You become a guinea pig for the automaker and they are really not nice to guinea pigs.

The 2008 Enclave has a wide enough range of problems to issue a warning. There's transmission failure under 90k miles, new power steering units costing over $1,300, and enough engine complaints to NHTSA to scare anyone away.

2008 Buick Enclave drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Buick Enclave:

2008 Buick Enclave Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Nov 012011

Enclave 6-cyl

This car has a whinning noise coming from the steering column that gets louder the more drive it. I have contacted the Buick care dept and they indicated it is a known problem but they will not fix it. They had me take my car to the Buick place where I purchased the vehicle and they come up with about $1900 to fix this and say that it is a known problem with the Buick steering that some housing is too close to the steering column and it creates the noise and steering problems and that Buick and everyone else is aware of it and that they should issue a recall but do not. In addition I have engine stalling problems where there is lack of power upon sudden acceleration. This happens frequently.

- Fort White, FL, USA

Oct 082013

After stopping at a stop sign my vehicle would not move... I shifted into neutral then back to drive and it went forward very slowly, then nothing. I coasted off the road (at a very busy intersection) and fortunately 2 policemen stopped to help me. They looked under the hood and could smell something burning. They called the Buick dealer for a tow and when I went into the dealer they said they 'thought' it was probably the transmission, but wouldn't know the problem until the trans. Was dropped. Also that the warranty had expired in July! I was told, two days and $3100 later it was a wave plate problem. After searching online I found that this seems to be fairly common for this vehicle and other GM products. I bought this Enclave used in Jan./2010 with 41,000. Miles. It supposedly had rave reviews, and now has terrible ones. That says a lot. No one should have to replace a transmission after 5 yrs., or 66,000 miles, especially in a high end model vehicle that costs this much!

- St. John, IN, USA

Sep 242013

Enclave 6-cyl

Transmission failure. No reverse or 2nd gear. GM did not pay for the costly repair even though it is a known problem with several tsb.

- Neosho, MO, USA

Sep 052013

Enclave 6-cyl

After driving the car and parking, next day noticed leakage in carport under car. After a day or two noticed a bigger spot under car, checked spot out it looks like transmission fluid on the carport surface and on the underside of vehicle.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Apr 162013

Enclave 6-cyl

Broken 3-5-R wave plate in transmission.

- Hubertus, WI, USA

Aug 082013

Enclave 6-cyl

My two children and I were traveling on a highly elevated ramp between major highways in san antonio (281 and 1604) when my car no longer would move into a higher gear and suddenly stalled at its current speed. The engine roared, but the car would not go faster. The traffic behind me almost hit me, as I unexpectedly was not increasing speed as one would typically do entering a highway. It was extremely frightening to all three of us (especially my 9 year old) and required our exiting the highway immediately. The problem continued, and we immediately took the car into the dealership service center. The technician was able to determine the problem quickly, because it has been a frequent repair. The "wave plate" failure led to the failed transmission with additional engine problems. The bill exceeds $6000. Both the near accident and cost have been highly stressful. We want GM to address this "wave plate /transmission" issue before more people almost get hurt. The forums for GM vehicles containing this part have dozens of complaints already.

- Bulverde, TX, USA

Jun 282013

We brought this car from landers Ford collierville in 19apr13 and I have had to get the brakes redone, and a valve with the air conditioner fixed. But we went to sunrise GMC on 28jun13 and they advised us that we need a brand new transmission in the car due to a crack in some part of the transmission. I haven't had the car that long and now it needs a new transmission. Landers Ford knew that car had transmission problems. GMC advised us that this is a problem that happens in the Buick Enclaves and the arcadias. So if you know that this car had these problems, then why haven't a recalled been done on the cars. We did research this past week and everyone complains about the transmission. We also called GMC and they advised me that since I brought the car from a Ford dealership and not GMC that they can not replace the transmission. But they can give us 70/30 we pay 70 percent of the repairs which I can not afford. They advised us that the car came off the line in 2007 and that is why the car is 10 months out of warranty.

- Memphis , TN, USA

May 042013

Enclave 6-cyl

We were driving and the transmission disengaged and the car would not move forward with power when the gas was pressed. We coasted to a stop and were nearly rear ended. We had the car towed to the dealer and were told the transmission needed to be replaced.

- Harleysville, PA, USA

Apr 222013

Enclave 6-cyl

My 2008 Buick Enclave only has 54000 miles on it and the transmission had to be replaced. The rpms would race up but the car would not move. The air conditioner also quit working at 39,000 miles but I waited until this breakdown to fix it because it was the beginning of the cool season. The high pressure line to the condenser and evaporator had to be replaced.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Mar 042013

As I begin to accelerate the RPM's would go to 4 but my speed would only be 25mph. This has happened several times. When I pull over, turn the car off, start it again, then it runs like it should. I contacted the dealer and they said I needed a new transmission which will cost $4000. I have researched this problem and it seems that many people have had this problem but so far no recall. I have read that a part in the transmission is not properly hear treated which is the cause of the transmission problems.

- Fairview , TN, USA

Dec 192012

Enclave 6-cyl

After momentarily putting the car in park, and then back into drive, the car would only move a couple inches at a time and after 30 seconds or so, stopped moving entirely. Vehicle was towed to garage, and needed to have the transmission replaced due to defective wave plates.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Feb 012013

Enclave 6-cyl

Power steering would grind, occurred for over 20,000 miles, and dealer could not diagnose the problem on several instances of being in for maintenance. Steering would be sluggish at times but not easily reproduced for dealer service. Independent shop found massive leakage in the rack and pinion system on both sides as well as complete leakage from the rear differential. Independent shop indicated both were significant safety issues requiring immediate repair; they also were surprised at the dealer's inability to diagnose the issue.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jan 082013

Driving home from newark Liberty airport on Tuesday 1/8/2013 on highway ( rt 78 and rt 24 in New Jersey ). hesitation in acceleration noted when pressing gas pedal. Concern that I would be rear ended as car did not respond to acceleration attempts on a busy highway with a speed limit 65. Took car to dealership on 1/9/2013- norman gale Buick in cedar knolls New Jersey and after evaluation I was told told I need a new transmission on my 5 year old car with low mileage at a cost of $4100. Car warranty 5 years $100,000 miles expired 11/7/2012. I took the vehicle for a second estimate at my local service station, gulf station route 124 morristown NJ. Service manager, zee also confirmed that the transmission would need replacement but the transmission expert that he contracts with told him they will not touch this make and reason provided to my husband. I have researched on the internet and have noted several other reports of transmission failures on this 2008 Buick Enclave with mileage under 70,000.

- Morristown, NJ, USA

Aug 032012

Enclave 6-cyl

Transmission completely went out. Also for about 1 year, the power steering has made a loud squeaking noise and the dealer said it couldn't be fixed.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Mar 012007

Once or twice a week my Enclave continues to roll another 5-7 feet after being put in park and the key removed. The accident occurred when I was unloading groceries from the rear passenger door. The vehicle moved forward and ran over my foot. I have a 100,000 zero deductible warranty, as well as GM's powertrain warranty, but still zubor Buick in taylor mi wanted to charge because they couldn't find a problem. Since my injury, I took it to another dealer today, red holman in westland. They couldn't find a problem either. It looks exactly like the recall with the 2009 Enclave NHTSA campaign #09V073000 (on some of these vehicles, the transmission shift cable adjustment clip may not be fully engaged. If the clip is not fully engaged, the shift lever and the actual position of the transmission gear may not match. With this condition, the drive could move the shifter to "park" and remove the ignition key, but the transmission gear may not be in "park".)

- Brownstown, MI, USA