NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2008 Buick Enclave (Page 4 of 5)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Buying the first model year of any vehicle is rarely a good idea. You become a guinea pig for the automaker and they are really not nice to guinea pigs.

The 2008 Enclave has a wide enough range of problems to issue a warning. There's transmission failure under 90k miles, new power steering units costing over $1,300, and enough engine complaints to NHTSA to scare anyone away.

2008 Buick Enclave drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Buick Enclave:

2008 Buick Enclave Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

May 072014

Enclave

About 3 weeks prior I noticed very subtle clunk when changing gears. Than out of no were the car started slipping gears at around 40mph. The engine would rev high RPM but it wouldn't kick into 5th gear. Only did the it once. Within 1 day it slipped every time 5th gear was engaging, within 2 day of that 3rd gear was slipping every time. Brought it to aamco and was informed of a R/3/5 wave plate clutch disc tsb with this model transmission. Transmission needs a rebuilt to the tune of $2000-2500. Pathetic that a $45K vehicle cant even make to 100K miles. Who says china makes all the crap? GM must employee the chinese.

- Lehigh Acres , FL, USA

Apr 162014

Enclave

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate as the check engine warning light illuminated. On another occasion, the contact stated that the vehicle failed to operate in reverse. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 73,200 and the current mileage was 73,800.

Apr 062013

Enclave

My wife and I, with our 2 kids were driving on the highway and the transmission just stopped working. We were stranded on the highway for hours and wound up having to replace the transmission. My wife was driving. Good thing there wasnt a lot of traffic on the highway. That was last year. Now this whinning noise thats been going on for a while has gotten louder and louder. I looked up online and there are hundreds if not thousands of complaints on this issue with the rack and pinnion. This should be a recall.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

May 092014

Enclave

Transmission has become defective on the vehicle, not sure of the extent because it is currently in the shop. Stopped accelerating the cost so far to fix is $625 and that is just to have it taken out and looked at but I am sure it will increase once they find out that the problem is the same issue as a lot of other 2008 Buick Enclave owners have had. This is a manufacturer issue and needs to have a recall, why should the consumer have to pay for a crappy GM product.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Apr 182014

Enclave

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that while traveling 35 mph, the vehicle jerked and failed to accelerate past 15 mph. The contact also stated that the engine light illuminated then the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to a private mechanic who stated that the tranmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was being repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 110,607.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 282014

Enclave 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact restarted the engine but the transmission would not operate in reverse. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the transmission was faulty. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 73,000. Updated 06/24/14 the consumer stated the check engine light did illuminate. The vehicle would not exceed 40 mph. The engine shakes along with making noise. The dealer advised the transmission wave plate failed. Updated 06/24/2014 the diagnosis was internal damage to the transmission. Updated 04/09/15.

Apr 282014

Enclave

Have an 2008 Enclave at 73, 300 miles and suddenly it feels like the transmission is stalling or sticking. Won't reverse and the transmission engine light is on. The engineer was shaking and noise.

Feb 012014

Enclave 6-cyl

Driving through intersection roughly 35mph, transmission stalled and vehicle quit moving. Luckily all other vehicles stopped and no crash occurred. Vehicle had all seven seats full with passengers, 2 adults and 5 children. Vehicle had to pushed out of the way to side of road. Passengers (adults, children and babies) were stranded in snowy weather and had to be picked up by another vehicle. Vehicle has 78,000miles on it with no previous issues with transmission. Was told by mechanic that its the 35R wave clutch plate. There is a service bulletin on this vehicle and other models like it such as the acadia. Cost will be upwards of $3500 to replace and the vehicle barely has any miles on it! why has this problem not be taken care of...."??" it is a huge safety issue. Could have easily caused an accident and killed all seven passengers had we have gotten side swiped! this is a large SUV multi passenger vehicle...not a two seat car!!

- Beaufort, MO, USA

Jan 242013

Enclave 6-cyl

Transmission failed 3 weeks out of powertrain warranty and required a rebuild then failed again about a year later. Steering pump and cooling motor failed during warranty period and were replaced and then both failed 18 months later (out of warranty) stabilitrac and check engine lights keep turning on after the dealer has repaired it 3 times (turns on about 30 minutes away from dealer each time). NHTSA really needs to take action against Buick and GM regarding the 2008 Enclave, it is a lemon and people are being ripped off over it and put at serious risk because of its' short comings.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Mar 122014

Enclave

The contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that the vehicle was parked with the engine turned off. A four-year old child was in the vehicle and haphazardly moved the vehicle out of park. The vehicle then rolled away and crashed into a fence from the drover's side area. The child did not sustain any injuries. A police report was not filed. The dealer inspected the vehicle and was unable to duplicate the failure. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 100,000. The VIN was not available.

- Spartanburg, SC, USA

Jan 292014

Enclave

Car lost all forward motion with no warning. Diagnosis: Transmission gone. I was on a narrow 2 lane roadway and was stuck on a curve. A sitting duck. I was able to pull over to side a bit but still in harms way. No indication of any kind that there was a problem prior to incident. 12 hours prior at 11 pm at night, I was traveling in the tunnel under boston. Thank god it didn't go then. The car was 9 months out of dealer 5 year / $100,000 warranty. Also had to repair steer gear bushings for $350 (which I see on this site has been a problem for many others). These seem to be defective parts, that put me in danger.

- Seekonk, MA, USA

Feb 032014

Enclave 6-cyl

The power steering lines as well as the transmission cooler lines have defective crimps where the rubber portion of the hose mates with the metal portion. This causes leaking power steering and transmission fluid that could potentially leak onto hot exhaust and start a fire. Or these lines could burst and cause rapid loss of fluid causing vehicle control issues.

- Boscobel, WI, USA

Mar 032014

Enclave

While accelerating from a stop through an intersection, the transmission failed and the vehicle coasted to a stop blocking traffic. After turning the key off and then starting the car, my wife was able to get the car to move at a crawl 15ft at a time. After doing this several times she was able to park the car safely off of the road. We had the vehicle towed to the GM dealership and they diagnosed the problem as a R, 3,5 wave plate failure. The dealership has recommended a new transmission at a cost of $4,400. After some research I have found this to be a common problem with the 6T75 transmission across the entire GM line of vehicles manufactured in late 2007. There is a service bulletin (09-07-30-012B) that addresses this, but no recalls yet.

- Cleveland, TX, USA

Jan 012008

Enclave 6-cyl

TL-the contact owns a 2008 Buick Enclave. The contact state that the vehicle experienced several failures the transmission gear could not be shifted out of first gear, the engine compression failed, the suspension sway bar failed, the traction control failed, and the rear lift gate opened on its own. The dealer replaced the transmission and all other parts that failed however the failures were not corrected. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 5,000 and the current mileage was 117,000.

- La Grange, OH, USA

Jan 282014

Enclave

I just had my transmission repaired, cost me my savings, and a known issue with many owners. Now the power steering is caput. Have to waist my precious time and money on taking the car to the shop again. There is already a class action law suite for this exact issue. Shame on GMC for producing such poor quality car.

Dec 232013

Enclave

As we were driving around a dark curve on a well traveled country road, the car quit pulling, the battery died, and the car would not shift. We were unable to move the car and were in the dark. There were two adults and two children in the car at the time. We had to call a wrecker to pick up the car and a deputy sheriff to direct traffic and keep from being hit by oncoming traffic. Apparently, the shifter broke and the transmission died. Both had to be replaced. I found out later that the transmission is the #1 complaint on this particular car. Why has a recall not been done" do lives have to be lost before something is done??"

- Tifton, GA, USA

Dec 172013

Enclave 6-cyl

Was driving down highway and vehicle started to hesitate and couldn't do anything with it..had to call two truck and tow it to capital Buick..was told transmission went out and had to replace it..

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Jan 092014

Enclave 6-cyl

I started from park and shifted to drive. As soon as I gently stepped on the gas to accelerate there was a jolt and loud noise. It shifted rough basically. The check engine light came on immediately. I stopped and looked under the car and hood for any signs of damage or leaking fluid and found none. I then decided to stop at the first auto part store I found to get the code read for the warning light. The codes read P0717, P0716, P0700, P0756. The tech told me that this indicated one of three problems all dealing with the transmission. So I decided to drive home and figure out what to do. As I started to drive it failed to shift from first gear. So I ended up driving slow due to the car being in first gear. Then suddenly the car acted as if it was in neutral, not allowing me to go forward or reverse. So I coasted to a stop and had the vehicle get pushed the remaining block. The shop tells me that it is some kind of wave plate and requires a new transmission at close to an estimated $5000. I just bought this car because I recently had a baby and have another child. I work for the military and can't afford this kind of repair 8 months after I had purchased it. Since this problem I have done some research and there are hundreds of people with the same problem. Which leads me to my question, when is enough" how many does it take to have a recall" my family are now down to one vehicle until I can figure out a way to pay for this repair.

- Moncks Corner, SC, USA

Dec 302013

Enclave 6-cyl

While driving down the freeway at 70 mph the vehicle kicked out of gear. Engine was still running. Pulled to shoulder of freeway and coasted. Once the vehicle slowed to approximately 50 mph it engaged back into gear. Was able to drive between 55 and 60 at about 3000 RPM but transmission would not shift to higher or lower gears. Took freeway exit and came to stop. Upon turning onto adjacent road the vehicle only used 2 gears to reach a speed of 55 mph, shifting from a low gear to a high gear at 4000 RPM.

- Corvallis, OR, USA

Dec 202013

Enclave 6-cyl

I was driving home from work and slowed down to avoid an accident in front of me. When I accelerated, the car would not go faster than 40 mph. I pulled over to check vehicle and everything seemed fine. I restarted car and could not go faster than 20 mph. I went to local GM dealer and was told the transmission had failed. Reverse, 3rd and 5th gears were gone. I limped the vehicle home and am now looking at $3-5000 worth of repairs on a high end, well maintained vehicle with only 112,000 miles. I am very upset with customer service at General Motors and with the quality of this overpriced lemon!

- Mattoon, WI, USA