2008 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 6 of 12)

May 042012

Cobalt

Continued noise from front end when driving- right and left struts, bearing plates mounts, shields and bumper boots were replaced - the struts were leaking fluid front end alignment was also done I am now having the same identical problem ( oil is leaking and covering the strut ) at this time date 10/2013. This is not normal - my current mileage is 37,802.

- Shaker Heights, OH, USA

Oct 282011

Cobalt 4-cyl

At random the vehicle will suddenly exhibit ESC failure, traction control failure, and several other trouble codes while simultaneously losing all gauge function and power steering. The error will continue to escalate causing a malfunction in the electronic stability control mechanism causing grinding while turning. The error often subsides after shutting the ignition off for several minutes.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 152013

Cobalt 4-cyl

The power steering went out and the car became extremely hard to steer. This has happened at multiple times since the initial time. I called regarding the recall for power steering and found out that the previous owner had the power steering motor replaced at 58,400 miles. This is a huge safety concern, and the power steering going out twice on this model is indicative that the real problem was not addressed. The power steering column may be to blame for this continuous safety concern. The real core problem was not address by GM in their recall.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jul 152013

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The contact stopped the vehicle on the shoulder and shut the engine off. After restarting the vehicle, the electronic power steering reactivated. The failure recurred intermittently. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 133,000.

- Salem, MO, USA

Jul 052013

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer on November 18, 2012 for service under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V073000(steering). Most recently, the power steering assist failed. The manufacturer was contacted and stated that they would not repair the vehicle a second time at their expense. The failure and the current mileage was 44,000.

- Mendota, CA, USA

May 082013

Cobalt 4-cyl

My power steering light comes on and I lose power steering. I can turn the car off and back on again and it's fine for a while but eventually happens again.

- Kountze, TX, USA

Apr 302013

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact was driving 35 mph and attempted to change lanes when the power steering assist failed. The vehicle was inspected by the dealer, who stated that the steering shaft had to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 10V073000 (steering: Electric power steering). The failure and current mileage was 84,000.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Mar 252013

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was driving my car and all of a sudden the power steering stopped working and it was difficult to make a turn.

- South Rockwood, MI, USA

Feb 012013

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that once the vehicle was started, the fuel and odometer gauges would display an accurate reading. In addition, the power steering assist failed and the vehicle would resume in normal operation after turning the engine off and restarting. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis however, they were unable to determine the problem. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000. Updated 5/19/114 updated 05/28/2014

- Arvada, CO, USA

Jan 212013

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the power steering assist failed. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not further repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 111,000.

- Mindoro, WI, USA

Dec 032012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Well I got my car back in 2009 and now I own it, well I have had power steering which I had fixed, but now I've been really having a bad gas smell and one of my friends dad is a mechanic and he looked at it and he's thinking something wrong with either the line or the filter or tank, I cant stand driving my own car cause how bad the smell is I've started having nose bleeds, and that's not my only problem all my lights are going off(tire, airbag, )etc. Yes my car is not in the best shape right now but I just started working again and my car is falling apart and idk how to get it fixed as of now.

- Rosharon, TX, USA

Jan 012013

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact was driving approximately 30 mph when the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The failure recurred nine times while the contact was driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing but was not repaired. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 10V073000 (steering:electric power assist system) that could have been related to the failure but he was advised by the manufacturer that the VIN was not included in the recall campaign. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 75,900.

- Pixley, CA, USA

Dec 272012

Cobalt 4-cyl

The control arm bushings had to be replaced with less than 8000 miles on the car. They went so bad the car swerved and clanked and chattered when the brakes were applied. Less than 8000 miles on the car"?? this is a joke. I see on the internet a lot of people with same complaints. Why no recall"

- Harwinton, CT, USA

Oct 132012

Cobalt

GM is not fixing the whole power steering issue in their Cobalts. I had the recall fixed, the power steering motor, on 10/10/12 and three days later it failed again. I was exiting I95 in wilmington, de and was very close to hitting the concrete divider on the exit ramp to us 202. The problem with the car is the whole steering column is faulty. Looking around in the internet shows many others that were told they needed to replace the steering column to fix the power steering issue, same as my dealer told me. But all GM is doing is fixing the cheapest part. I have tried their customer service and get nowhere. They say they fixed my power steering problem and get all defensive when I tell them that it still happens. It happens after driving about 200-250 miles. Local trips are fine except that the steering looses feel and shakes and feels bumpy in the steering wheel. For the safety of all people on the road I feel you guys should test some Cobalts on a good 300 mile trip and see what happens. I'll even lend mine to you if you want.

- Myerstown, PA, USA

Cobalt

I noticed a slight tapping/rattling noise coming from the front driver side. The noise only occurs between the speeds of 50-60 mph and only when letting off the gas completely. Then I received in the mail an ignition cylinder recall. My car had problems with locking up and difficulties turning the key. So I took the car to the dealership told them about the noise I was hearing then waited a week with no call from the dealership so I called them. They told me my car would be finished by noon, I arrived at 4 pm. They then told me my car was not yet finished. The dealership had not even put in the new ignition cylinder even after a week. I was told the noise could not be replicated. I waited for the ignition to be put in (about 30 mins) then took one of the dealership mechanics on a test drive to hear the noise. Noise was heard and took it back to the shop. Checked under the car and nothing wrong could be found. The lead mechanic took it for a test drive but due to the heavy downpour of rain nothing was heard. I was asked to bring the car back on Monday due to possible severity of the situation. Dropped the car back off at the dealership Monday. A test drive and a look under the car and they found the problem, noise coming from rack and pinion while hitting bumps rack worn and needs replacement steering column making noise as well recommend replacement with out replacement the car would eventually have no steering ability at all: Cost $1524 no warranty. This car has had the power steering recall replacement (the steering wheel suddenly stopped working while in a parking lot due to broken pinion) in 2010 and a transmission issue (RPM rev when the car hit 40 when the gas was not being applied) that was a worn seal it was fixed and covered by warranty in 2011. This would be the twice now with no steering ability only its a different cause? I feel like I'm being cheated.

- La Vernia, TX, USA

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the key became lodged in the ignition and he was unable to remove it. Also, the contact stated that on a separate occasion while driving 45 mph the steering wheel seized and the air bag warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer six times who diagnose that the ignition module, steering wheel column and driver side air bag module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 82,600.

- Viola, WI, USA

Oct 012011

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle became hard to steer and there was an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle. The contact experienced the issue whenever the vehicle was driven. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who inspected vehicle and determined that the failure was caused by a defective rack and pinion. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure however, no further assistance was provided. The failure mileage was 56,000. The current mileage was 59,000.

- Campbellsvilee , KY, USA

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized while driving at various speeds. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance because the vehicle was previously repaired under the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 10V073000 (steering:electric power assist system). The failure mileage was 68,000 and the current mileage was 69,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 162012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 5 mph the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated the power steering pump had to be replaced. The vehicle was included in the recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V073000 (steering:electric power assist system) and was repaired previously. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Adrian, MI, USA

Apr 162012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 50 mph, the contact stated that the power steering had suddenly stopped functioning, causing the contact to crash into a nearby tree. The contact was not injured during the crash and a police report was filed. The vehicle had not been diagnosed and no repairs had been performed. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileages were 71,000.

- Centerberg, OH, USA