2008 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 7 of 12)

Apr 162012

Cobalt

At approximately 7:55 a.M. on Monday, April 16th, I was driving South on state route 605 to work (center village/new albany Ohio area). Going on a straight road, and at 50 mph, I felt the steering wheel become a little spongy as I was driving when I was making a small correction in the steering wheel to ensure I was properly in my lane. When I moved the steering wheel to right a fraction, the car drifted to the right as it should. However, upon making a correction to the left the car's steering wheel became impossible to turn. Because of this the car veered right striking a mailbox and crashing into some trees. The car is severely damaged and the insurance company is looking at it today. I had the electrical steering box replaced last year. The driver side airbag went off as it should but the car ended up on its side.

- Centerburg, OH, USA

Feb 222012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Purchased 2008 car used in 2010 with approx. 10K miles. Have had several issues with stereo speakers going out. Car now has less than 60K miles. Recently developed knock in front when going over bumps. Took car to dealer to have recalled steering box fixed. Chevrolet says lower control arm bushings, front struts are leaking, and sway bar end links need replaced soon. Almost $1500 dollars. Not covered under warranty though online search shows rampant issues.

- Zion, IL, USA

Mar 012012

Cobalt 4-cyl

While practicing parallel parking power steering disabled itself. Could not get power steering to re engage. Took car to dealership on above stated date. They replaced the recalled internal power assist motor. A few days later the power steering failed again. Upon returning to the dealership we were informed that steering was being over used. Since that time power steering has gone out several times. Some of which the steering has not returned after turning off the engine and restarting the vehicle. Some instances have occurred while driving slowly.

- Shenandoah, TX, USA

Mar 032012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the power steering failed without warning while attempting a right turn. The vehicle had not been to the dealer for diagnosis or repairs. The failure and the current mileages were 43,000.

- Dellingham, WA, USA

Jul 202011

Cobalt

I got a broken I shaft after multiple time goin to dealer an telling me I was a women and did not know what I was talking about.

- Clyde , NY, USA

Dec 122011

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact was driving 65 mph when the vehicle began to shake uncontrollable. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the struts, control arm, bushings axle, cv joints, sway bar bushings, brake pads, and the rotors but to no avail. The manufacturer was notified of the failure who advised that because the contact purchased the vehicle used, they could not offer any assistance. The failure mileage was 69,700....updated 01/31/12 the axle seal was replaced, due to the vehicle leaking transmission fluid. There was a noise coming from the steering shaft. Updated 02/03/12

- Germantown, MD, USA

Dec 312011

Cobalt

1.recalled steering motor replaced 2.replacement motor had to be replaced 3.steering locked, had to be towed in. 4. researched web an found how widespread this deadly condition is an all Chevy wants to do is keep replacing deadly failing part. Steering is steering, not like a mirror !!

- Columbia, TN, USA

Dec 052011

Cobalt

Came out of the store with my three kids in 25 degree weather, when I got into my 2008 Cobalt and I couldn't get the key to turn!! there are so many complaints about this and Chevy is doing nothing to fix it!! my car is at the shop and it is going to cost me $408 to get fixed, right before christmas!

- Fort Riley, KS, USA

Oct 252010

Cobalt 4-cyl

Vehicle was taken to the dealership in Oct 2011 at apprx 16,000 miles to check loud noise coming from front suspension area. Dealer replaced power steering motor according to recall and replaced part of steering column. However, that did not fix the issue. This is my elderly mother's car and she did not recognize the noise was not usual or that the repair did not address the problem. Vehicle now has 20,000 miles (Nov 2011) and mechanic diagnosed lower control arm bushings are shot. This is apparently a common problem for this model & year. Dealer does not consider this a safety issue. I think it is--possibility of suspension components failing.

- Helotes, TX, USA

Nov 222011

Cobalt 4-cyl

Unable to maintain control of steering, wheel control or braking.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Aug 042010

Cobalt 4-cyl

Unable to maintain control of steering, speed control or braking. Same problem again today 11/22/2011 while stopping at stop sign under 10 mph.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Oct 282011

Cobalt 4-cyl

As I was backing out of my driveway the power steering suddenly stopped working. The light on the dashboard came up "power steering" so I went to an auto zone where they told me they couldn't find power steering fluid and it was apparently an electronic steering system. I called a dealer in town and they looked up the VIN and told me that it had been serviced under a recall. I then called GM and was told that GM would not cover the service costs again, most likely. I was asked if I had owned other GM vehicles and asked what that had anything to do with it. I was not given an answer but the dealer that I eventually took it to said that it "of course matters, because if you haven't bought GM in the past or will not in the future why would they want to help you"". obviously they should want to help me because it is a faulty product and potentially deadly. I was told by GM that they will most likely only cover once on a recall whether the problem was fixed or not??" I found out the dealer where the work had been done and went to have it looked at. The dealer tried to tell me that there was no way it could have anything to do with the original problem on the recall. I told him that it would seem to be common sense that it was. He also said that regardless, their service warranty runs out in 12 months and it was past. They eventually fixed it at no charge but I was told there was no guarantee that it was fixed and that it could very possibly go out at any time again. Obviously the recall did not fix all of the problems and this part can fail again at any time causing a very dangerous situation.

- O'fallon, MO, USA

Oct 032011

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact was unable to turn the key to start ignition without pressure holding the steering wheel. The second occasion, the steering wheel could not be turned without calling a mechanic in. Parents bought car for commuting college student. Mileage is approximately 80,000.

- Holly Springs, MS, USA

Apr 052010

Cobalt 4-cyl

Steering column rattles, dealer installed recalled power steering unit and greased intermediate shaft. Noise quit for 10,0000 miles and started again. Dealer said new shafts only last 20,0000.

- Everett, PA, USA

Jul 292011

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated while driving 45 mph, the power steering lamp illuminated. The power steering failed making it impossible to make any turns or change lanes. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 67,500. Updated 09/01/2011

- Woodbridge , VA, USA

Jul 032011

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 25 mph, the contact stated that the power steering light illuminated when as the power steering failed. The failure recurred intermittently. Neither the dealer nor manufacturer were notified of the failure. The vehicle was neither inspected or repaired. The current mileage was 46,950. The approximate failure mileage was 46,946.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 262011

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph the power steering failed and the steering wheel was very difficult to turn. The vehicle was pulled over and stopped. Upon restart, the vehicle continued to drive as normal. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Greatvine , TX, USA

Feb 012009

Cobalt 4-cyl

I bought a new 08 Cobalt in Sept 08. I have had to have two steering columns put in, a power steering pump, stabilizer bars, front end bushings and bearings, and now a rack pinion (along with multiple other unrelated repairs). I took the car back to the dealer (ron marhoffer stow oh) after each repair and was told that there was nothing wrong with the steering or suspension of the car. The car would pull out of my lane to the left and was very difficult to control. I actually lost control of the car and went into a ditch on one occasion. I do not believe that the dealer knows how to fix the problem and therefor just keeps throwing parts in it. However the problem still exists. It is very dangerous. The dealer also replaced multiple fornt end parts including stabilzer bars, bearing and bushings on oth fron wheels tryng to correct the steering problem. I also have had to replace the tires on the car twice on the front end due to abnormal wear and tear from the car constantly pulling while driving.

- Stow, OH, USA

Apr 102011

Cobalt 4-cyl

Transmission module failure leads to temporary power steering failure. While driving my 2008 Chevy Cobalt, the instrument cluster started malfunctioning. The speedometer, tachometer, and fuel gauge all started bouncing around erratically. The driver information center started flashing "power steering". this all took place while I was driving the car on the freeway ay about 60 mph. As I was trying to pull to the breakdown lane the power steering failed. I thought the power steering pump went out. After getting the car to the side of the road and turning it off I called my mechanic. He told me he heard of this before and told me to restart the car. I did and everything was back to normal. I drove straight to his shop where he plugged in his diagnostic check computer. He told me the problem was with the transmission module and is a well know problem with the Chevy Cobalt. I have since googled it and found many Cobalt owners are experiencing the same problem. I spoke to Chevrolet customer service and was told that because my car has 125,000 miles it is out of warranty and not covered. I don't care so much about that as the potential safety hazard. If the power steering fails while on the road again it could lead to an accident. It has happened twice since and I have managed to pull over before the steering shut down. Is this an issue you could look into on these cars?

- Mabank, TX, USA

Jan 012011

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 50 mph, the power steering failed making it impossible to control the vehicle. The dealer advised the contact to bring the vehicle in for diagnostic testing. The contact did not inform the manufacturer nor was the vehicle diagnosed or repaired. The current mileage was 53,628 and the failure mileage was 47,000.

- Hamet, CA, USA