2009 Chevrolet Cobalt fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 032015

Cobalt

Smelt fuel near the car when leaving work about 6:30 pm on 10/3/15. Car did not initially start. Took car to auto zone to have battery, alternator and started checked, which were all in proper working condition. The auto zone worker could smell fuel also and inspected for a leak. He found the leak near the left rear tire. The next day Firestone inspected the car and provided the following: "found hard fuel lines rotted out above the lr tire. Recommend taking to dealership to have new line assembly installed." A local auto mechanic informed me that the part leaking on my car is the same part recalled on other GM vins. He told me to stop driving the car immediately. He told me the only reason my car didn't catch on fire is because of all the recent rain we have had.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 282013

Cobalt

I'm emailing you in regards to problems I had with my car.. all this was repaired and I called back and forth to the manufacture and was treated like I was stupid.. it was a bad time in my life and the car situation didn't help.. now I'm reading this on line, because my fuel line is leaking.. seen this recall, but was told there wasn't a recall on it and that time.. my car was at dealerships on and off for over a month.. then I had to pay.... I listed the VIN#. above and this was the case # 71-1160509209.. GM will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel pump module, free of charge. Notification to owners began on on November 21, 2012. Owners were instructed to not bring their vehicles in for repair until January 2013. Additional info:GM's campaign number is 12190.this recall is an expansion of recall.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Sep 252015

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. After refueling the vehicle and driving at 35 mph, the contact arrived at the intended destination and upon exiting the vehicle, the contact smelled a strong odor of fuel. The contact discovered excessive fuel leaking from the fuel tank. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 64,000. Updated 11/09/15 the consumer stated the fuel pump failed and needed to be replaced. Vehicle was repaired. Updated 1/20/2016*

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Aug 022015

Cobalt

Extremely noticeable gas odor coming from car when engine running, even at idle. Previous recalls do not list Georgia as state for registered/purchased vehicles covered by recall. Gas leak exists in fuel system somewhere and have found numerous other postings stating the same for the same 2009 Chevy Cobalt ls sedan model. Highly concerned that car fire or explosion might occur. Was going to take dealership for diagnostic.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Jul 082015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. After the vehicle was serviced, a fuel odor emitted from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure and the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V419000 (fuel system, gasoline). The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jun 172015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While parked, the vehicle failed to start and the contact noticed fuel fumes outside the vehicle. Upon further inspection, the contact noticed that there was a fracture on the fuel tank. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 126,000.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Jul 102015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that there was an abnormal odor emitting from the vehicle. Shortly after, the contact had to merge over to the side of the road because there was a fuel leakage coming from the rear of the vehicle without warning. The vehicle was not taken to an independent mechanic or dealer. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Scottsville, KY, USA

Jun 252015

Cobalt

Gas smell inside and outside of vehicle. Gas dripping on driver side under rear door. This is a major safety issue and should be a recall on all Cobalt's not just in certain states.

- Perry Hall, MD, USA

Jun 032015

Cobalt

Recently smelled a gas odor. Started looking under car and found a leak in the fuel line. The leak is right underneath the rear side of the drivers door. The fuel lines run through a plastic clip that attaches the lines to the chassis of the car. The recall that previously came out was for the fuel pump module not the line itself. The leak in the fuel line is right at this plastic clip which is less than an inch away from a pipe that gets extremely hot while driving. There are numerous complaints of this all over the internet. I found numerous complaints of the issue that some had posted a picture of it and it is the exact same spot as on my vehicle. Here is a link to one of the complaints that shows the picture: www.cargurus.com/cars/discussion-T33495_ds573685 I just feel like a fuel leak that is about a half inch away from a steaming hot pipe on numerous vehicles of the same model/make/year is a huge safety issue. Last thing I need is my car catching on fire with my daughter and I inside of it.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Jun 012015

Cobalt

Took my car in for smell of gas and leaking fuel, discovered a cracked fuel pump and mechanic said there were 2 other Chevy Cobalts on the lot with the exact same issue. Checked with recalls and in 2012 there was a recall for cracked fuel pumps however my VIN did not qualify. The recall was a very large one and my car did not make the list. I feel if the recall was as large as it was, the issue could've been bigger than Chevy was willing to admit at the time. Would like for this to be investigated again.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Apr 012015

Cobalt 4-cyl

Strong smell of fuel leaking from rear of car. Fuel pump module is leaking. This is a known issue with Cobalts but my VIN number doesnt fall into any known recalls. They said the same thing about the key switch I fixed out of pocket.

- Gallatin, TN, USA

Apr 032015

Cobalt

There was a sudden overwhelming smell of gas fumes coming all the way into the interior of the vehicle. I took the vehicle to dealership immediately and they confirmed I have a cracked fuel pump module with consequences of fuel leaking and causing a fire and or explosion. They explained this is a recall thru GM, I never received any notification, recall ext# 09V-419/12190. I have no means of transportation outside of my vehicle and the dealership will not offer me a courtesy vehicle they also cant get my car repaired in over two weeks.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Dec 012014

Cobalt 4WD 4-cyl

I began to smell gas after exiting the vehicle. I traced the smell to an apparent leak coming from the top of the tank where the lines from the fuel filter are routed over the top of the tank. I discovered the recall for fuel pump plastic part failures in warm weather states, also 2009 Cobalt, but, Georgia is not listed (I'll tell you it is a warm weather state). Also, in regards to another individual's complaint NHTSA id number: 10668977, I discovered my TPMS were backwards about three years ago when I had an unexpected flat. The low pressure indicated by the TPMS directed me to the wrong tire. One of the TPMS stopped working within days of driving the car off the lot. Other issues: 1) multiple times I have placed a small item like a phone in the passenger seat and the passenger air bag turns off - seems hyper sensitive, not nearly the weight of an infant 2) my front speakers don't play unless the weather is warm (wiring harness/connectors?)

- Evans, GA, USA

Sep 272014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that fuel fumes emitted in the cabin of the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Sep 012011

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While traveling approximately 20 mph, another vehicle crashed into the front of the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the air bag system was faulty and the vehicle was repaired. In addition, while entering the highway and attempting to make a right turn, the vehicle veered to the left and into oncoming traffic. As a result, a second vehicle crashed into the front driver side of the vehicle. No injuries were reported and no police report was filed. After restarting the engine, the vehicle operated as normal. Also, the contact indicated that fuel was leaking from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed and repaired the failure. No information was available regarding the diagnosis. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Summerfield, NC, USA

Nov 102014

Gas tank leaking.

- Trenton, GA, USA

Sep 182014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I have a distinct fuel odor after driving coming from the back of the car. Also the car is difficult to start. It takes at least three tries before the engine turns over. I am very much afraid of a fire starting. I was told it is the fuel pump. The recall should be for all 2009 Cobalt not just a select few. I believe GM is trying to pull another fast one.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Sep 222014

Cobalt

Vehicle would not start, took it to dealership for service, and was told it was the fuel pump. 2 hours later, got a call that the module harness had to be replaced also because the connection it made to the fuel pump had burned out and fused itself to the fuel pump. The service tech stated this was a very unsafe situation, due to the fact that the exposed electrical connection inside the fuel tank had melted, and if we had been low on fuel, there could have been a fire.

- New Castle, DE, USA

Aug 292014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I have already had the recall service performed on my 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt, but the ignition switch problem still persists after having the recall service performed. There's the possibility that a safety hazard to the american public still exists if there are cases similar to mine. The vehicle ignition was inadvertently switched to the "off" position while I was getting onto a highway. I was shifting my hips to adjust my seating position, and my knee bumped into my keychain and caused the ignition to switch to the "off" position. I lost speed control and power steering, but I was luckily able to move to the shoulder of the highway, shift into "park", and re-start the vehicle. This event happened within 48 hours of me having the recall service performed at a Chevrolet dealership.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jul 182014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced intermittent electrical shorts and the temperature controls and power windows failed to work properly. The contact was unable to use the controls for the air conditioner and heater. In addition, the contact was unable to start the vehicle on several occasions. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer who diagnosed that the fuel pump and sending unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 96,800.

- Blaine, MN, USA